Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2016   #121
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Vlad,

Here is a comparitive shot of the Stupické varieties I am growing this year. On the left is is Stupické Polní Rané (Semo) which is already flowering at 7.5 weeks old. In the middle is Stupické Polní Rané (Moravo), and on the right is the North American Stupice I typically grow. I grew 8 NA Stupice this year and the one in the picture is the best & biggest of the bunch. The true CZ plants are much bigger, more robust, and further ahead than the NA Stupice. I'll allow them to have 2 or 3 leaders, and post pictures as they mature.

The marks on the leaves are from a recent hail storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160608_122223.jpg (413.5 KB, 342 views)
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #122
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Vlad,

Here is a comparitive shot of the Stupické varieties I am growing this year. On the left is is Stupické Polní Rané (Semo) which is already flowering at 7.5 weeks old. In the middle is Stupické Polní Rané (Moravo), and on the right is the North American Stupice I typically grow. I grew 8 NA Stupice this year and the one in the picture is the best & biggest of the bunch. The true CZ plants are much bigger, more robust, and further ahead than the NA Stupice. I'll allow them to have 2 or 3 leaders, and post pictures as they mature.

The marks on the leaves are from a recent hail storm.
Are there significantly different versions of Stupice?

I've grown seed from several U.S. commercial sources and they all are potato leafed and quite similar. I used to grow them in soil, but have found that it is a very good variety for EarthBoxes. It is pretty compact for an indeterminate for me. From your pic, the one on the right does not appear to be PL and actually looks like a dwarf indeterminate. (?) Any significant differences in fruit size or maturity? Mine have always typically run at apx. the 2 oz. size that most catalogs show. In an EB, my Stupice fruit are actually nearly as large as Fourth of July. Picked my first of both varieties today from seed planted on Mar 1st and planted into the EB on May 5 after spending several weeks in the cold frame. Coldest night temp was about 37 F.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; June 13, 2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #123
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I am testing new supports for my determinate tomatoes. In the picture are Sarayevs: I-2, Otbor 1, Shtambovyi, Gruntovyi, Druzhnyi and M-22.
Vladimír
I like those cages. I'm gonna copy it for a row of Gribovsky.

Zamorano has been quite good!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #124
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Those cages are fabulous! Attractive too.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #125
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Greatgardens,

there are 4 varieties of the main Stupicke family name of Czech origin (from Chechoslovakia).

One of them has been widely distributed in the States under a Stupice name...

The first Stupicke line was developed in the 1940's in Czechoslovakia by a Jaroslav Homola who was a well known tomato breeder from Selekta company and it was a cross between Mikado х Slava Poryni (Rheinland Glory) х Solanum racemigerum.
So two Stupicke varieties were officially reseased in 1950s: in 1955 - Stupicke Polni Rane (early field Stupicke) and in 1954 Stupicke Sklenikove (greenhouse Stupicke). Two other varieties were bred later - Stupicke Rane and Stupicke Rani Sklenikove but they are less known and hard to find now.
From Czechoslovakia, Stupicke arrived in North America in March 1976 (along with some other tomatoes from Milan Sodomka who named the Stupice (rather than Stupicke) and as such it was not clear which of the original first two cultivated varieties were handed over except that the greenhouse Stupicke was said to be more flattened and with fewer locules so the probability is that Stupice was Stupicke Polni Rane (the "early field Stupicke").

Vladimir and Tanya's Tomatobase can add more if I missed something.

And I believe that Slava Poryni which is Stupicke's parent should get more glory too

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; June 14, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #126
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I originally did not find the additional references in the tomatobase, because I just looked under "Stupice" and not "Stupicke."

I am extremely curious about the photo of Stupice with rugose, regular leaf foliage on a stout (dwarf?) plant. If that seed is being sold (or available), I'd like to find some to try against my usual Stupice.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #127
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

There are only two varieties Stupices which was bred J.Homola- Stupické polní rané and Stupické skleníkové. I grew Moravsky div and Stupice and differences from indigenous varieties are so small that it is virtually impossible in order to be registered as a new variety (at least not in the Czech Republic). The same is true about samples of seeds (Stupické rané and Stupické rané skleníkové) stored in the Czech gene bank (so far I have not heard that someone grew it).
There are only two varieties Stupices which was bred J.Homola- Stupické polní rané and Stupické skleníkové. I grew Moravsky div and Stupice and differences from indigenous varieties are so small that it is virtually impossible in order to be registered as a new variety (at least not in the Czech Republic). The same is true about samples of seeds (Stupické rané and Stupické rané skleníkové) stored in the Czech gene bank (so far I have not heard that someone grew it).
Milan Sodomka was common Home Gardener who bought in the store seeds Czech tomatoes and sent them to the US. He was not a breeder, and he had nothing to do with breeding station in Stupice.
Sláva Porýní is a good tomato but very the late.

Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #128
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

I hope you remember my old link to this Czech genbank with all 4 Stupicke varieties mentioned: http://genbank.vurv.cz/genetic/resou...tum_MILL.&sub=

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old June 15, 2016   #129
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Are there significantly different versions of Stupice?

From your pic, the one on the right does not appear to be PL and actually looks like a dwarf indeterminate. (?)
The picture of the NA Stupice is deceptive. It is definately potato leaf and not dwart. It is simply behind in growth relative to the Semo & Moravo seeds. As I mentioned, I grew 8 NA Stupice this year and that is the best and biggest. The Moravo plant has now flowered as well, and interestly, both of the plants appear to have a number of double flowers in the 1st brach. wrt taste, I'm in zone 3a so it will be a while yet.
Old June 15, 2016   #130
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Robert,
your seedlings are Stupice exhibition. I look forward to more pictures throughout the season.

„I'll allow them to have 2 or 3 leaders, and post pictures as they mature.“
It also recommended frequently grow to two or three stalks in our country. I've never did, because my way of supporting (spirals) does not allow it.

Quite often I grew Stupice on a single stalk, and I ended the plant blind third inflorescence to accelerate the first harvest.
Vladimír
Old June 15, 2016   #131
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Next year I will grow 34 plants determinate tomatoes. I will test them for resistance to cold and frost and watch the DTM. I will also try to hardening of the seeds and seedlings for planting at low temperatures. All the data from this experiment I will write and do picture documentation. I am looking forward to this job.
Around January 20 I want to sow the following varieties:
0-33
I-2
M-22
Saraev Gruntovyi
Saraev Druzhnyi
Saraev Otbor 1
Saraev Stoikyi
Saraev Shtambovyi
42 days
Latah
Kalinka
Jagodka
Darinka F1

Vladimír
For testing, I used a variety 0-33. Because I do not have the necessary equipment (precision calibrated thermometers), so I can not a wholly write that 0-33 withstand temperatures below 0 ° C. Even if I found out that it can withstand, for example, a temperature of -2 ° C, it would for me was useless. If the prediction for example ground frost, so it is not obvious whether the -1 °C or -5 °C. It would be sheer madness to to let tomato plants uncovered.
Vladimír
Old June 17, 2016   #132
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vlado,

Here is a look at my Saraev's this year. They were planted 2 weeks ago as 7 week old seedlings. I am seeing good growth in the recent cool conditions here, and they began flowering at the same time as Stupicke.

Datlo, Start S F1 and Sakharnyi Zheltyi are also shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saraev Druzhnya.jpg (218.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev Gruntovye.jpg (192.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev I-2.jpg (187.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev M-22.jpg (178.4 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev Otbor 1.jpg (220.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev Shtambovyi.jpg (201.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Saraev Stoikiy.jpg (198.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Start S F1.jpg (196.5 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Stupické Polní Rané (Semo).jpg (216.2 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Datlo.jpg (191.9 KB, 203 views)
Old June 25, 2016   #133
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Slowly begin to ripen some fruit, but only the smaller (Stupice, Sarayev I-2, ..). It's too late for me- disappointment. Next season I will have sown the determinate varieties around the December 20. In early April I will planting seedlings with nine leaves into cold frame (not like this year when I planted a small seedling only with four to five leaves). I expect the first harvest (not just individual berries) will be the beginning of June.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0043.JPG (105.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0051.JPG (118.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0056.JPG (92.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0058.JPG (80.5 KB, 180 views)
Old June 25, 2016   #134
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

as I told you before there could be more effective to sow Sarayev seeds directly. Most of his varieties have been intended for this originally.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old June 25, 2016   #135
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Vladimir, about Latah

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Latah

Glenn Drowns from Sandhill Preservation was originally from Idaho where Dr.Boe was and knew him and a few years ago Glenn listed ALL of the early varieties that Dr.Boe had bred as a group offering to anyone who wanted them.

I had grown Latah and one more before that and all I can say is that I hope you like Latah much better than I did.

All are small round reds with very little difference between them.And to me have a very strong taste I did not like.

Here's a Google search that will tell you what the others are,what Glenn offered,and what others thought about them

https://www.google.com/#q=Dr.+Boe+to...arieties&hl=en

Carolyn, trying to catch up on threads