Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2010   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator
 
remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Z6 WNY
Posts: 2,334
Default Date for 2010 Party

Hi All,
The party date has been set! It is going to be Sat. August 28. This seems to be the most conducive to me and others because Labor Day Weekend is tough for border crossers, and the weekend after in the Niagara Falls Blues Festival which my father runs. The way the weather has been, I don't think we will have problems of not having enough tomatoes by the end of August .

For anyone who has not attended, it is a fun picnic party. We have contests, and eat a lot! You do not need to have a lot of tomatoes to come!! You only need one tomato to win a contest. Really your love of tomatoes is all that is needed and your non-tomato loving family members/friends(if you choose to bring them) will even enjoy themselves too.

I will of course send out email invites to everyone who has attended/had interest in attending as usual. If you are not on the list and would like more info, please send me a message.
Thanks,
Remy
__________________
"I wake to sleep and take my waking slow"
-Theodore Roethke

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™
 
Zana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,289
Default

Count me in....baklava included....dunno about how many tomatoes I'll have though...not sure how the containers will survive the move between now and then.

I can run a car pool from K-W/Hamilton/GTA, if anybody wants, since I'll have a 7 passenger van. I believe the last time, Sorellina & Family met me in Burlington and we drove from there. Fair warning though....we've been known to do a run to Target following....as well as Wegman's.... ....so it may be a late arrival back at the meeting point. I am also open to the idea of returning the next day as I no longer [B]have[B] to be back that night.

Let me know what help you need Remy.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #3
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator
 
remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Z6 WNY
Posts: 2,334
Default

You can show up tomatoless as long as you bring that baklava!
Remy
__________________
"I wake to sleep and take my waking slow"
-Theodore Roethke

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #4
kkinan
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: buffalo, new york
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Hi All,
The party date has been set! It is going to be Sat. August 28. This seems to be the most conducive to me and others because Labor Day Weekend is tough for border crossers, and the weekend after in the Niagara Falls Blues Festival which my father runs. The way the weather has been, I don't think we will have problems of not having enough tomatoes by the end of August .

For anyone who has not attended, it is a fun picnic party. We have contests, and eat a lot! You do not need to have a lot of tomatoes to come!! You only need one tomato to win a contest. Really your love of tomatoes is all that is needed and your non-tomato loving family members/friends(if you choose to bring them) will even enjoy themselves too.

I will of course send out email invites to everyone who has attended/had interest in attending as usual. If you are not on the list and would like more info, please send me a message.
Thanks,
Remy
hi remy.
i would like to be included in the festivities on the 28th.
my name is: kathy kinan. 289 lexington ave, buffalo, ny.
i will be bringing a guest (who is also a tomoto nerd).
thanks.
kathy
kkinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #5
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator
 
remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Z6 WNY
Posts: 2,334
Default

Hi Kathy,
Terrific! I'll send you all the details. I was working on them last night and will be sending them to everyone soon,
Remy
__________________
"I wake to sleep and take my waking slow"
-Theodore Roethke

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2010   #6
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™
 
bluelacedredhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest shore of Lake Ontario Zone 6b
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
I'll send you all the details. I was working on them last night and will be sending them to everyone soon,
Remy
Details received! Thanks Remy.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2010   #7
Zana
Tomatovillian™
 
Zana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,289
Default

I'm not home, but did receive the details.....although I think I can say that the car knows the way on autopilot now....hehehe.

Yup....will be there!

Thanks, Remy!
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2010   #8
kkinan
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: buffalo, new york
Posts: 7
Default

hi remy.
we hope to meet you on the 28th. there will be three of us: two local and a friend from san francisco. i will bring peaches for dessert.
kathy
kkinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2010   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator
 
remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Z6 WNY
Posts: 2,334
Default

Hi Kathy,
Great! It will be good to meet you. Peaches are wonderful. We had someone from Utah come with friends last year so it would be neat to add CA to the list.
Remy
__________________
"I wake to sleep and take my waking slow"
-Theodore Roethke

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2010   #10
Zana
Tomatovillian™
 
Zana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,289
Default

Just got reminded that I'll be bringing the seeds from the last year's BNWNY Tomato Tastefest...and probably the ones from previous years. So we could set up a trading table. If you attended last year, you get freebies from last year's stash. If you're going into my other seeds or previous years' seeds, that's a trade. (You okay with that Remy?)

Remember to bring envelopes. Two years ago I went through the better part of a brand new box of 250 coin envelopes. Since I'm going to be there early this year.....lol....as in arriving the night before....so will the seeds and the baklava. I might have to make the baklava there...or make more of it...who knows? Baklava making class? LOL
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #11
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder
 
korney19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Niagara Frontier
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Just got reminded that I'll be bringing the seeds from the last year's BNWNY Tomato Tastefest...and probably the ones from previous years. So we could set up a trading table. If you attended last year, you get freebies from last year's stash. If you're going into my other seeds or previous years' seeds, that's a trade. (You okay with that Remy?)

Remember to bring envelopes. Two years ago I went through the better part of a brand new box of 250 coin envelopes. Since I'm going to be there early this year.....lol....as in arriving the night before....so will the seeds and the baklava. I might have to make the baklava there...or make more of it...who knows? Baklava making class? LOL
Great because I didn't get to save a bunch of seeds from Jerry's house last year. Let me know if you want a list in advance!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™
 
Zana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Great because I didn't get to save a bunch of seeds from Jerry's house last year. Let me know if you want a list in advance!
That would be great....but although I know exactly where my seed stash is, I am not going to have time to pre pack any before I get down there on Friday. I probably could do it Friday evening, though.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #13
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder
 
korney19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Niagara Frontier
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
That would be great....but although I know exactly where my seed stash is, I am not going to have time to pre pack any before I get down there on Friday. I probably could do it Friday evening, though.
One off the top of my head was the RED Gregori's Altai that I got from Chuck Wyatt, now deceased. I would have to look thru the posts of the '09 party to see what others, but many that Jerry entered I never got to get any from his yard before the party or after, and some were grown here too, but got planted too late and never got ripe fruit of many (Magnum, Henderson's WinsAll.) Also, some were only grown at Jerry's so I didn't have backups (Korney's Jelly Bean aka Perry's Cherry, Korney's XXX, Kosovo, Brad's Black Heart, Carbon from my house.)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #14
Hilde
Tomatovillian™
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pendleton, NY
Posts: 256
Default

Mmmm, Armenian baklava! Yay! Can you come for a visit and teach me how to make it, Zana? :-)
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #15
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™
 
penguingardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh 6b
Posts: 29
Default

Hi,

I'll be there! Sorry for being a little last minute, I just returned from LA last night and was seeing how today goes for a road trip from Pittsburgh tomorrow. Will have hubby and daughter in tow. I will actually have some tomatoes, but I did resort to hybrids this year. Am still recovering (psychologically) from the bad blight my heirlooms got hit with last year.
penguingardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★