Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 17, 2009   #1
Friendly_farmers_wife
Tomatovillian™

Default Whats a good variety to plant?

I would like some advice from someone with experience. My husband plants veggies (summer squash and turnips & a variety of greens) for people to come pick , for free every year. He wants to plant a few more things this year, including tomatoes. What would be a good variety for the public to pick? I usually grow rutgers and pink girl along with a couple of other varieties in my own personal garden. He doesn't sell any of the vegtables he plants. They are for anyone who needs them. We haven't had too much trouble with it, except that we had an albino zuccini we wanted to save for seed and people picked it and busted it. but thats it. We would like to bless the community with a hearty good flavored variety and maybe a variety thats good to can? Any ideas? thanks in Advance!
Friendly_farmers_wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

F_f wife. I have a few varieties that might fit the bill. Send me a PM with your address and will see about getting you some seeds. Ami
Old January 18, 2009   #3
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

What a wonderful, generous thing to do....especially in this economic time!

May the fruits of your labor bless all who partake of them!

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

What a great thing to do. I wish I had the room. PM me as well. I'll send 100 seeds of "Homestead" OP. It should do quite well in your zone and will yield some nice slicers. And I have a good bunch of Hybrid-types left over - slicers and cherry types. Seems like a good place to use them. Also let me know if you want some early types. My Siberian and Subarctic Plenty plants had "overactive thyroids" last year. They give "saladette" sized delicious red toms. Let me know.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

It is a wonderful thing to do. My hubby gives extras of all vegies to the Battered Women's Shelter and the Rescue Mission. He always says about the Recue Mission that one never knows...could be him or someone he knows or cares about. He also donates extra eggs to both as well. FFW...tell your hubby we think he's great!
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

What a wonderful, thoughtful project. My extras went to neighbors, friends and a soup kitchen 6 or 7 blocks away. They rely solely on donations from churches, buy food from the local food bank and welcome all fresh food donations. The workhorse in my garden is Jet Star - very disease resistant, heavy producer of mid size fruit, tasty, good canners, freezing in sauces, etc. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote