Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 12, 2009   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default When to quit?

I had an amazing year...way beyond my expectations. I still have about 150 tomato plants and maybe 50 pepper plants left. I am getting a few customers a week in the evenings, but not a lot.

Besides the obvious...running out of plants completely (I've done that the past 3 years), when should I just give the rest of the plants away or toss them in the compost if no one wants them? Before I toss them, I'll see if any local schools or churches want them for sure.
Old May 14, 2009   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I'd say quit when you don't feel the investment of your time is paying off. Lucky you to have a great season already! I hope you can find homes for the orphans.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on a successful year!
I suppose you quit when you get tired of messing with it
Old May 15, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Depends on how you are doing it.

If you expect to be there and help each customer, then you will need to stop soon or you will cut into the time you have for doing other garden chores.

We have a "self-serve" stand set up in our driveway. Plenty of times there is no one around to help customers. We try to have decent signs all over the place and they can always look around for help as we are usually nearby.

Frankly we leave things out there too long. But we keep it watered as often we will plant out more than we first intended if we still have room. Eventually we just get to busy with other stuff and let the small stuff die.

We also will pick the small tomatoes that mature on the root bound plants. They help bridge the gap we have between the "plant season" and the "field crops" for a bit of income.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009   #5
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I just got an offer on the remaining 250-270 plants. I told him to bring $50 and plenty of boxes!
Old May 15, 2009   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Boy what a great deal!!!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009   #7
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Well that guy fell through, so I decided just to donate them. I posted an ad in craigslist offering free plants to school or church gardens, I gave about 40 toms and 40 peppers to a girl scout troop, a dozen or so to a local school, about 50 to a local church, and the salvation army picked up the rest this evening for their new garden that they will have to provide fresh produce to local pantries and needy families.

All in all I grew over 2,000 plants, made a decent profit, filled my garden, my mom;s garden and my grandparent's garden and donated some plants to some good causes. It was a year far beyond my expectations! Now to focus on fishing!
Old July 21, 2009   #8
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Fishing well deserved! Congrats on a great season.