Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2019   #61
bower
Tomatovillian™

I was reading yesterday that Europe is breaking the heat records again this year, while the lower 48 US has had the wettest 12 month period on record. The arctic is having a heatwave, which means that all the effects of melting the pole are accelerated, while cooler air is displaced south and even in our case producing a cold spring and summer.
http://en.rfi.fr/20190717-arctic-tem...change-warming
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #62
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Climate CO2 arguments are very one sided these days.
Look for both sides. Unfortunately not possible to take "energy is beneficial" position without a shoutdown. Most of this movement seems to be about controlling others behavior while doing what you want, or not willfully looking at the full extent of your actions as long as they appear virtuous to your social group.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #63
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Some 90% of the excess heat trapped by greenhouse gasses is currently being swallowed by deep ocean. But deep ocean has its thermal capacity, and sooner or latter deep-sea currents that rise up from the ocean floor will start emerging warmer than usual. From then on global warming will start showing its fangs in earnest.

People need to get real, coastal cities and deltas are already dead.

Last edited by arnorrian; July 20, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Look for both sides. Unfortunately not possible to take "energy is beneficial" position without a shoutdown. Most of this movement seems to be about controlling others behavior while doing what you want, or not willfully looking at the full extent of your actions as long as they appear virtuous to your social group.
Well said.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #65
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

There is no risk with cleaner, renewable energy.Science is kind of one-sided that way as in 2+ 2 = 4. Many people here either use their cars less or don't use one at all, like me, and take the bus or ride their bikes, like me. None of us are forcing our ways on others but others are wising up and making changes on their own where possible. Not so easy living rurally with no bus service.

Lately, people here are getting fed up with all the over packaging that comes with our goods making for so much more garbage than seems necessary.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #66
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
I would agree that energy is beneficial and necessary. My question would be the source of that energy. Why, in this day of renewable energy research are we clinging so desperately to past sources of energy generation. I wonder why all coal burning facilities have not vanished entirely.

We have wind, solar, wave possibilities and constantly advancing battery storage technology that could make us totally independent of fossil fuels. We've always been a "leap ahead" country bent on new inventions and improvements on old ones. We seem to be stuck with old technologies with some tragic consequences.

I'm glad the horse and buggy industry didn't have as strong a lobbying force as some backward technologies do today. If so, we wouldn't be having this discussion online, we'd be having it with crank telephones.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
There is no risk with cleaner, renewable energy.Science is kind of one-sided that way as in 2+ 2 = 4. Many people here either use their cars less or don't use one at all, like me, and take the bus or ride their bikes, like me. None of us are forcing our ways on others but others are wising up and making changes on their own where possible. Not so easy living rurally with no bus service.

Lately, people here are getting fed up with all the over packaging that comes with our goods making for so much more garbage than seems necessary.
I'm not ((getting fed up)) with over packaging I have been for a long time.
I can assure you I have sat through several Brain washings at a DOW chemical plant touting the greatness of polystyrene AKA Styrofoam.
It was all I could do to keep my trap shut.

People really need to get educated about petroleum and or fossil fuels before they get on the no more petroleum zero emissions band wagon.
At this stage of the game it simply isn't possible or economical.
Even if every car truck and bus on earth was electric those oil wells and gas wells would still be needed.

That is the elephant in the room no one is talking about.

Petroleum and coal is concentrated energy that was once energy from the sun.
We might be able to charge a battery from the sun but correct me if I am wrong: We cant make the rest of the products we need petroleum for from the sun and or wind or another means of energy.

Simply speaking, our days are numbered on this planet if we continue to populate and live the lifestyle we are living with the products we are using.

In the end if things dont change, there will be a social collapse bigger than this planet has ever seen.before.
Climate change or not.
Old July 20, 2019   #68
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Petroleum and coal is concentrated energy that was once energy from the sun.
We might be able to charge a battery from the sun but correct me if I am wrong: We cant make the rest of the products we need petroleum for from the sun and or wind or another means of energy.

Simply speaking, our days are numbered on this planet if we continue to populate and live the lifestyle we are living with the products we are using.
Let's start with generating electricy with renewables and replacing ic engines in cars with electric ones. If we still need petroleum products for some things, so be it. It isn't an all or nothing proposition.
Old July 20, 2019   #69
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
Let's start with generating electricy with renewables and replacing ic engines in cars with electric ones. If we still need petroleum products for some things, so be it. It isn't an all or nothing proposition.
I never said that, I said many people dont have a clue as to what all petroleum is needed for.
When it dries up there better be a replacement.

I have been on this forum for many years.
Anyone that knows me in those many years knows I have been and always will be a huge proponent of mass transit.
We simply cant continue building more concrete highways to put yet more cars on the road electric or not.
Does anyone know just how much co2 is released making Portland cement?
It is a huge amount.
What ever happened to the hydrogen vehicle.
More than likely shot down by the petroleum industry and all its puppets.

A good mass transit system everyone used would all but kill the auto industry.
Electric or not.

The US has never nor as far as I can see in the near future set up for mass transit in most places.
Old July 20, 2019   #70
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Worth, Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying. Mass transit would be a great boon to the crisis. If we could move large numbers of people without our current one or two people to a vehicle method, that would be a game changer.

Sadly, we can't get motivated to fix crumbling bridges, so I don't hold much hope that our representatives can get together on a mass transit system.
Old July 20, 2019   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying. Mass transit would be a great boon to the crisis. If we could move large numbers of people without our current one or two people to a vehicle method, that would be a game changer.

Sadly, we can't get motivated to fix crumbling bridges, so I don't hold much hope that our representatives can get together on a mass transit system.
I am a person of critical thought, hard science, physics, math and logic.
I am also a person that is a huge opponent of hypocrisy and agendas.
Both will hide the truth.
I question everything and take nothing at face value and have been this way all my life.
A terrible habit I find hard the break.
Old July 20, 2019   #72
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

yep, we've gone half way and got ourselves a ex-Japan second hand hybrid, full electric comes next

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #73
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hyundai have been advertising the hydrogen powered Nexo SUV and Toyota are bringing out a model soon too. We are very fortunate in this country in that we have vast potential to generate all electric power from renewables to produce the hydrogen, we could well be a exporter of it too in time, we already are 90% renewable electricity now. The first stages of infrastructure needed to produce the hydrogen are been set up, but what will be the cost of the fuel be?.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/new...in-new-zealand

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #74
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe with the atomic number 1. If you believe in the big bang theory it is the original element from which all others formed.
Old July 20, 2019   #75
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I've been interested lately in solid state lithium battery technology. I think this might be the EV breakthrough that can make owning an EV more practical than owning a regular car. Solid state isn't a reality yet. If it comes to market, it can offer much longer range, more energy storage for the same size, safety, and up to 23,000 recharge cycles.

I know that many things have been promised and not realized with new batteries, but some big automakers are investing big bucks in companies working on the technology.

A few years ago, an electric vehicle with a 300 mile range was a pipe dream. Tesla now sells a car with a 370 mile range (your mileage may vary). It's expensive but so were flatscreen tv's. The first ones were tens of thousands of dollars. I bought a 55 inch 4k tv last week for $300.00.

I know several automakers plan to offer new EV's for 2020. I think it's an exciting time.

Worth, I don't know if this is anything that interests you, but you might have much more insight than I do about the technology involved and its chances for success.