Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 24, 2009   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Worked....Didn't Work

Do you ever experiment by eating/using vegetables in non-traditional manners? Did it work or not?

After vine borers killed my Kakai pumpkin vines a couple of years ago, I sliced up the immature pumpkins (up to softball size) and ate them as raw crudites with a dip. Works with other immature winter squashes as well. Very good.

Last week I made Kielbasa bean soup and added some okra seeds to it. The okra seeds (they were harvested from dried pods) stayed hard in the soup, even after simmering for over an hour. Visually, they were a nice touch but otherwise, unh-uh.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
Do you ever experiment by eating/using vegetables in non-traditional manners? Did it work or not?

Last week I made Kielbasa bean soup and added some okra seeds to it. The okra seeds (they were harvested from dried pods) stayed hard in the soup, even after simmering for over an hour. Visually, they were a nice touch but otherwise, unh-uh.
Yeah, I did that with a hardy beef stew, only with white pepper corns. I figured that they were "white" so not as peppery --- wrong!

Boy, next time I'll stick with whole barley grain.

~* Robin
Old January 27, 2009   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post

After vine borers killed my Kakai pumpkin vines a couple of years ago, I sliced up the immature pumpkins (up to softball size) and ate them as raw crudites with a dip. Works with other immature winter squashes as well. Very good.

Ruth,

I guess the Narragansetts knew something when they named it askutasquash (a green thing eaten raw).

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; January 29, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #4
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Ruth, I also use immature winter squash, in stir fries, shish kabobs, as well as soup or stew. I think you could also pickle them, although I have never tried it.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote