Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 30, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Jimmy Nardello

This is going to be a remarkably productive pepper - and very, very long and slender.

I've never grown it - for those who have, is it very thick-walled? Sweet when red? Looks like it is going to be a great frying pepper!
Old July 1, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

It isn't thick walled imo. They are prolific and can take on a nice size. We enjoy some while they're green but red or blushing is extra delicious. They are sweeter when red. I have a feeling that after you eat them you'll invite them back next year.

Your plant looks great!
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Craig -- yes, productive. One well grown plant should be good for 30-45+ peppers. Eats temps in the mid-high 90's for breakfast.

Thin skinned, a bit thin walled, and oh so sweet. We love it and I think you and Sue will too.

It's outstanding fried as well as raw, but my favorite way to use it is to just throw some on the grill, while the steaks or whatever are finishing up. I've been picking small amounts for a couple of weeks now. Hopefully, I'll have several red ripe to grill up Sunday afternoon. Pics from earlier this week:

Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Craig....They are as described above, pretty thin walled. They are sweet even green, and I usually get a few red ones in the fall.
I lost the flat with Nardellos this year and already miss them. Luckily the 3 or 4 other frying types I am growing are starting to fruit.
They really do live up to the hype.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #5
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

It even does well in short-ish summers. Pretty, sweet when red, prolific.
One of the few peppers I've successfully grown at my place. Will always get a spot in my garden.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2006   #6
Skip
Tomatovillian™

Default Jimmy Nardello Peppers

Great pics all!

I've not grown this variety out but it looks very inviting!

Cheers.

Skip
Old July 3, 2006   #7
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Craig, you are going to love it! I think I started growing it 3 or 4 years ago, and it is a definite keeper. As said above, best when red..extremely sweet..and I love it on the grill as well.

Excellent frying pepper too.

Enjoy@!
Dukerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i never grew jimmy nardello peppers but i am always interested when i see them mentioned. as people stated here very productive and very good/sweet when red from what i've read. i don't start peppers from seeds so i am stuck with local plant choices.

why am i so interested? i grew up and lived in naugatuck up to 1991. nardello is a well known name in town. so when i 1st saw the name jimmy nardello i naturally assumed naugatuck, seems i even knew of a jimmy nardello. but that's just silly, it's a big country and anyone can name anything, well, anything. i have to tell you i was stunned when a seed catalog write-up said this pepper was from jimmy nardello from naugatuck connecticut! unreal!

some summer i may get around to growing this variety.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Tom...as peppers go, it is one of the easier varieties to start from seed. I have grown it 3 or 4 years and think it would be a great first variety to try to grow from seed...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #10
bully
Tomatovillian™

Duke turned me on to them a couple of years ago and I love them. Mrs Bully is cooking ribs for the 4th..I wish I had a few JD to throw on the grill right now.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Can JD be used as a substitute for sweet bell peppers chopped up in homemade chili? And if so, how many of them do you need?

I will, of course, also try roasting them on the bar-be.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2006   #12
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks john, it isn't getting the seeds that has stopped me.

i never grew peppers (or eggplant) from seeds even tho i start almost everything i grow from seeds. i do grow from seeds for 'that' variety i want because those choices are not available locally. peppers always sounded more difficult to start and grow from seeds than tomatoes - starting a full month earlier (?) and especially using heat under them (no heat mat and don't really want to buy one). if i have to start them 3/10 my basement is still 45-50 degrees then.

so my assumption has been that peppers and especially eggplant are more trouble than they are worth when i can buy them locally as plants. but of course, i'm limited to what's available again.

to me all eggplants taste the same (i'm sure there's differences but i never noticed with the few varieties i've tried). but with peppers, i've grown many different varieties and i know there's big differences. i would have grown corno di toro red last year and this year but the greenhouse didn't have them. gyspy was good and early but 3 or 4 each would be better.

so did you use heat under the growing containers to germinate them or during growing them? if done in a basement how warm was it? perhaps i should try peppers from seed since i have the setup and materials, maybe it is not all that difficult. so how'd you do it?

tom
Old July 5, 2006   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I got 75% germination on 4 each of Tangerine Pimiento, Sheepnose Pimiento, Sweet Banana, and Ancho/Poblano without any heat mats or special steps. Yes, it took an additional 2 weeks for them to germinate and get started but they seem to be doing well now.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #14
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

thanks, i'll try peppers next year from seed! save me some jn seeds if you can.

tom
Old July 10, 2006   #15
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Here’s my Jimmy Nardello loaded up before picking a handful to fry up with some sausages, very tasty! Next year I’ll have to grow at least two and leave the peppers on one to ripen while I eat the others. You should try this one if you haven’t already.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote