Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 12, 2015   #1
walkertrex
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone gearing up for a fall garden?

Hi all! Hope everyone has been enjoying their tomatoes! I must admit that I am more than a little behind with all of my garden chores this season. I really need to get out there and prune and tie up my tomatoes (hope I don't lose my T-ville member card for admitting to neglecting them!!) We recently took on an adorable foster dog and have enjoyed spending all of our free time with her. Unlike our past pups, she hates being outdoors! What's a gardener to do when you just can't resist a cute smooshyface? Anyway, I usually start thinking about my fall garden about this time of year. Looking for some inspiration to get me motivated. What are your plans for fall harvested crops?
walkertrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Actually I just planted up my last empty high tunnel for fall. I put in 34 tomatoes and 30 or so peppers for my Sept/Oct farmers markets and for me to use.
Old July 12, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have already planted 30 fall tomato plants and will be planting many more over the next few weeks. Planting potatoes and okra tomorrow morning.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Time to start thinking about onions and garlic for me.
I need to get that part of the yard taken care of before I plant seeds.
Once I get started who knows where it will end.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

By this time of year, all I can see are my mistakes. I feel like killing everything and starting on next summer...and it's only July.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Time to start thinking about onions and garlic for me.
I need to get that part of the yard taken care of before I plant seeds.
Once I get started who knows where it will end.
Worth
Onions! I guess I should pull them up. I've been too busy trying to pull a gazillion tomato plants out of the garden, and saving enough tomato seeds to plant half of North America. Along with planting out fall tomato plants, building dragons that maximize early morning sun, but blocks out mid-day and evening sun. And trying to revive pepper plants dug up and transplanted from a failed heavy clay garden that received so much rain - I was starting to think I needed to build an ark.

Onions will be planted in October just like you suggested last October. They will most likely be planted under/around tomato plants - but they will be planted.

Yeah, I'm getting ready for a Fall garden.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was going to post this on this topic myself tonight so it must be time to get rolling.

Cole Robbie, just go forward and don't look back. Every year is different and despite our hard work and planning, nature still has the last hurrah.

I didn't get anything productive out of my first fall garden last year. Lots of leaves but no broccoli cabbage brussels sprouts or beets. Carrots didn't germinate. This summer I'm skipping the seed starting for everything but beets. I've been succession starting beet seeds in small peat flats for the past week. The season is so crazy I'm first harvesting my spring crop so no room to direct sow.

I'll be direct seeding planting peas and greens for fall harvest. Not as exciting as a full fall garden but I'm still learning and it's a break from tomatoes. I envy all you southerners with the second veggie crop though , double the fun.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

ALlttleSalt I think you have time to start onions from seed and transplant in Oct as Worth suggested. Lots more variety that way and very pretty to watch grow.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to try to keep my summer stuff going as long as I can--tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, beans. I planted sweet potatoes in May and I'll dig those up in October. Keeping my fall veggies simple this time--collards, lettuce, escarole, beets and carrots. Those will go into spots where bush beans cucumbers and squash had grown through the summer. My cabbage did so well in the spring, I'll just continue to put that out in March instead of fall.
Old July 13, 2015   #10
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Due to the shortness of my growing season I get one chance at a garden: Basically I have spring crops or summer crops, but not both in the same space during the same growing season.

This year I have bok choi seed, so I'm contemplating attempting a fall garden.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Cole_robbie... If your weather has been anything like ours I feel for you, but the best investment I think we made in the last few years was ground cover for between the rows. There was no way to get in to weed or plant for the whole month of June and now the weeds are horrendous where they popped through the edges or I didn't have a long enough piece for a row. Mistakes aren't always mistakes..as long as we learn from them, too. Sometimes we can't control what happens after we plant... such as the weather. I hope your garden produces well though even if there are disappointments.
Old July 14, 2015   #12
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning on cilantro/coriander, carrots, and snap beans for the fall. I think that's all I've got room for, and even that's pushing it haha. I might get some fall tomatoes from the plant I started from a rooted branch about a month or two ago, but I'm not holding my breath.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #13
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I planted tomato seeds for transplants on July 5th. They are JD's Special CTex. I am hoping to plant 4 plants in the raised bed about the middle of August. About that same time, I will start broccoli and cauliflower seeds and transplant in the raised beds at the end of September. I am going to try to grow beets one more time this fall.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #14
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

We just put in a couple pounds of black eyed peas, and companion transplanted some cherry toms through the peas. Will grow broccoli with some just for the flowers. The local bees like them almost as much as basil.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #15
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Sure. Just put in 20 eggplant and 60 pepper seedlings, and harvesting my collard seeds from my spring crop to replant as my fall crop.

Also putting in my leftover tomato seedlings, and fertilizing heavily to get fast growth. We can get tomatoes through early November here in Atlanta.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote