Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2018   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Crop Rotation Greenhouse and Raised Beds

Greenhouses are unique in many ways. Do I need to rotate my Toms, cucks, beans and peppers or should I move/augment the soil?

Raised beds outside same questions.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Are you amending the soil? With what?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #3
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

I think the best approach would be 2 fold. Why not both? Rotate the best that you can, and amend the soil.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
I think the best approach would be 2 fold. Why not both? Rotate the best that you can, and amend the soil.
I agree, if that is possible... but usually in a greenhouse situation I would think that soils are amended sufficiently that this might not be necessary? YMMV, depending on that.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Raised beds outside same questions.
My raised beds are augmented yearly mainly due to a loss of soil ... crop rotation not necessary. New soil, leaves and 'whatever' mixed in yearly before planting.

If you're small-scale don't give it too much thought. Large-scale and you will need to consider rotation because financially soil amendment will not be practical.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have two beds in which I amend the soil and flip-flop what I grow in them every year. That's the most I can do in the way of rotation, and it seems to work fine.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's pictures of the raised bed I made at work up against our building. I grew tomatoes in it every year and you can see the amendments I used and it was no-till.

Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=Surrogate
Old February 18, 2018   #8
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I have two beds in which I amend the soil and flip-flop what I grow in them every year. That's the most I can do in the way of rotation, and it seems to work fine.
I have to laugh when I look in Magazines and Garden Books, and they are all about the perfect rotation schedule.

But lets be honest... most folks dont grow that diverse of a garden to be able to pull that off. I think that as long as you do some of the rotation you are ahead of the game.

In years past I never bothered to rotate my raised beds. Never saw much of an issue either, other then the usual problems that plague any garden.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For me, the flip-flopping isn't something I do for the sake of rotating, it all comes down to logistics and maximizing space.

In one bed I plant hardneck garlic and shallots in October. These are harvested in July and replaced with fall-friendly crops (greens, beans, etc.) which are still in the ground when October comes around again.

In the other bed I plant my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplants -- all of which are done and pulled by October, just in time to amend then plant the next year's garlic and shallots.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote