Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 3, 2018   #376
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Tryno, it will probably be another couple weeks before you will want to start
snipping/culling the F2's. You will know as some will shoot up taller than others.
I ended up with 2 in each cell and kept culling, then potted up the most
promising.
With the F2's, pot up as many as you have room for as another cull will most
likely happen. Some take off much later. Half or less will stay compact.

As you move along, and they do grow slowly, zip back through the other posts
here. Lots of pics and info.

It is good to start early. I had lots of early harvest once they went out in warm
weather. I'll start another couple trays mid Feb.

This pic is after lots of culling and starting to pot up into 4". Most pot up earlier
but work got in the way and they still did fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micros dec 2016.jpg (489.6 KB, 174 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #377
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Susan, in a post Dan did state that instead of writing out all the plant names. He used #'s and listed the names that corresponded to the #'s in that post. How do most of them taste? I see there is a lot of info earlier in the thread I did not see

Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #378
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Oakley, i will read and study......
Pete
Old February 22, 2018   #379
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Some of my 19xF2 dwarfs and micros. Around the red box are 1 week older expect the biggest is 2 weeks older. I’m hoping to get 9 micros after selecting these smallest seedlings from many started. One interesting thing I’ve noticed is the leaf type in the one circled in blue. Looks subtly different than the rest—shape and number leaflets. Think I will grow this out no matter what just because it looks a bit different. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCD7A9F5-8860-4094-B67C-7DE7F97A1042.jpeg (260.2 KB, 140 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #380
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Some of my 19xF2 dwarfs and micros. Around the red box are 1 week older expect the biggest is 2 weeks older. I’m hoping to get 9 micros after selecting these smallest seedlings from many started. One interesting thing I’ve noticed is the leaf type in the one circled in blue. Looks subtly different than the rest—shape and number leaflets. Think I will grow this out no matter what just because it looks a bit different. Thoughts?
Your approach sounds great. I am always amazed at the variety in the first couple of generations after F1 - But I don't think I have seen that particular leaf structure... I hope it keeps that shape - and passes it along (New variety there?)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #381
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Found this about Ambrosia Orange UBX (the indeterminate parent of 19x):

Quote:
The Ambrosia Orange UBX is the result of crossing the Gold back to a green currant tomato with wild lineage (hirsutum).
Googling L. hirsutum, I wonder if that leaf shape might be some of those genetics showing?

Last edited by jmsieglaff; February 22, 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 23, 2018   #382
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

It will be interesting to watch. Keep us posted. The interesting variety and differentiation I referred to only really shows up when you start lots of seed and see the one-offs that appear 1 of 64 or more. There are more of those hiding in the genes than you'd think.
Old February 23, 2018   #383
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
It will be interesting to watch. Keep us posted. The interesting variety and differentiation I referred to only really shows up when you start lots of seed and see the one-offs that appear 1 of 64 or more. There are more of those hiding in the genes than you'd think.
You’re very right about that. I probably started 400 seeds this go around and transplanted these 24–more than I have room for but knowing some will only be dwarf, not micro dwarf. Something a little different is icing on the cake!
Old February 24, 2018   #384
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dan, in your 33X plant that I got from you as seed, what is the "Tidy" plant?
Thank You
Pete
Old February 24, 2018   #385
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Hi Dan, in your 33X plant that I got from you as seed, what is the "Tidy" plant?
Thank You
Pete
Tidy was the name of one of the Dwarf Project "families" I worked with - (Rosella Purple F4 X Pink Berkeley Tie Dye) X Pork Chop F2. I made a cross of the micro multiflora with an F2 of that family. The full pedigree of 33X is: (Red Robin X Rose Quartz Multiflora F4) X ((Rosella Purple F4 X Pink Berkeley Tie Dye) X Pork Chop F2). There is certainly no lack of gene diversity in that cross..... In one family of F3s from that cross, 30% or so were carrot-leaf (like Silvery Fir Tree). That's where those I sent you came from.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail for any of the others I sent.
Old February 25, 2018   #386
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Are these the same 19X from Dan's crosses a few years back? I'll be growing F5's this season from that line and KarenO's original selections.

BTW, what was the original parentage of that 19X line?

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; February 25, 2018 at 06:01 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #387
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Are these the same 19X from Dan's crosses a few years back? I'll be growing F5's this season from that line and KarenO's original selections.

BTW, what was the original parentage of that 19X line?

-GG
Yes this is Dans 19x cross. I saved seed from some tasty red cherries from it (those would be F3 seed), but I’m still searching more F2 plants looking for something extra interesting. What colors did you find?

The indeterminate was Ambrosia Orange UBX. I dont recall the micro parent—maybe Rose Quartz Micro?
Old February 25, 2018   #388
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes this is Dans 19x cross. I saved seed from some tasty red cherries from it (those would be F3 seed), but I’m still searching more F2 plants looking for something extra interesting. What colors did you find?

The indeterminate was Ambrosia Orange UBX. I dont recall the micro parent—maybe Rose Quartz Micro?
The micro parent was an F4 of a cross made by Chris Kafer (ChrisK). Full pedigree of 19X was: (Red Robin X Rose Quartz multiflora) X Ambrosia Orange.
Old February 25, 2018   #389
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Thanks. Mine are "black" or more accurately dark purple-brown with the customary green shoulders until fully ripe. 15" - 20" tall, PL. KarenO did a great job selecting and sent me the F4 seeds. Most of mine were splitters. The F5 seeds were from one that didn't .
GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #390
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Thanks. Mine are "black" or more accurately dark purple-brown with the customary green shoulders until fully ripe. 15" - 20" tall, PL. KarenO did a great job selecting and sent me the F4 seeds. Most of mine were splitters. The F5 seeds were from one that didn't .
GG
Black with that parentage! I bet those are great. Out of 9 plants I’m hoping to get a couple interesting colors. Curious was the black found in the F2?