Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 1, 2018   #46
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

I do know this...

When I finally do get into Mums, Im going to learn to do cuttings. El Pronto.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2018   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I never tried to talk to NC Farms. There was not much point, being the last shipment of the year. I wanted the smashed cuttings more than I wanted my money back.

And yeah, I thought that, too, about taking my own cuttings. The problem was that I got whiteflies and aphids very badly. I had so many bugs that I am now worried about having picked up a disease, which would then be spread by cuttings. Another thing my family members have told me - mums are notorious for coming back next year a different color, usually yellow. I don't have enough experience to verify that, and I don't know if modern varieties still have that problem, but it is a concern.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2018   #48
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

You can buy unrooted cuttings and root them yourself. mums root very easily but it is something you have to have a set up for if you are growing hundreds/thousands of them. a mist chamber, timers, lights and greenhouse space.
Old February 2, 2018   #49
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I grew mine outside on wire racks and watered by hand. If I was going to do more than a few hundred I'd have to have some better infrastructure in place. I do Mums more to fill my tables in between Summer and Fall crops than anything. That said I learned a lot and feel like it was a good leaning experience. Best lesson was you cant over feed mums.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #50
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I never tried to talk to NC Farms. There was not much point, being the last shipment of the year. I wanted the smashed cuttings more than I wanted my money back.
Gottcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
And yeah, I thought that, too, about taking my own cuttings. The problem was that I got whiteflies and aphids very badly. I had so many bugs that I am now worried about having picked up a disease, which would then be spread by cuttings. Another thing my family members have told me - mums are notorious for coming back next year a different color, usually yellow. I don't have enough experience to verify that, and I don't know if modern varieties still have that problem, but it is a concern.
Cant say I ever heard of them coming back different colors. Several years ago I worked for a Nursery (thats now out of business) and im pretty sure thats how they did all of theirs.

But I could be wrong too..

Maybe liquid sevin for insects? Im not a fan of spraying, as I have always touted that to my customers. But im tired of fooling around. This year Im going to HAVE to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
You can buy unrooted cuttings and root them yourself. mums root very easily but it is something you have to have a set up for if you are growing hundreds/thousands of them. a mist chamber, timers, lights and greenhouse space.
From where? I looked last night and cant find anyone who offers unrooted cuttings. I read about how must are supplied from Africa and Belgium, and how Yoders sold out, but as to actually buying unrooted cuttings I cant find them.

Maybe later in the year I will have better luck. I only found one company with Live Availability and no mention of mums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I grew mine outside on wire racks and watered by hand. If I was going to do more than a few hundred I'd have to have some better infrastructure in place. I do Mums more to fill my tables in between Summer and Fall crops than anything. That said I learned a lot and feel like it was a good leaning experience. Best lesson was you cant over feed mums.
Im thinking on the ground on top of weed barrier, and a whole bunch of drip irrigation. Which reminds me this year to install a filter in my system. Last year I had issues with emitters clogging up.
Old February 2, 2018   #51
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Im thinking on the ground on top of weed barrier, and a whole bunch of drip irrigation. Which reminds me this year to install a filter in my system. Last year I had issues with emitters clogging up.
That is the way to do it. I just didn't have time to fool with it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #52
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
That is the way to do it. I just didn't have time to fool with it.
The only issue I have, wildlife. Lots of Deer, Rabbits, and Ground Hogs in these parts. Im in a rural area so...

If I do that, probably have too set up an electric fence or some kind of barrier. Which I have been contemplating anyways, for the regular crops that I grow. Last year the ground hogs got into one of the high tunnels to get to the bush beans.

I did see your pictures from last year, with the mums on the racks and such. Hey, if it works for you, thats what matters. Actually I like having stuff like that elevated. Easier on the ol' back. Lets be honest, none of us are getting younger. Im all for developing systems that require less physical labor. Most of us are small growers with little additional labor. Im a one person operation as my Wife works full time in Health Care. Our daughter is in HS and has a part time job. So.. that leaves me to man the fort.

Wouldnt be too bad of an idea to have some long benches, with the Mums right on top. Right at waist level.

Would be kinda expensive to setup, but would eventually pay for itself. Weed barrier certainly doesnt last for ever.

And that actually brings up an issue. For those of us in the South, it gets darn hot. Pots of flowers on a black surface, just seems like you would use a whole lot more water.
Old February 2, 2018   #53
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

So... I decided just to call the sales rep from my major supplier. his first response was NC farms for small quantities. now, that said. you can call my sales rep and set up your own account. Your best bet would be to order rooted cuttings though. you have a smaller minimum quantities to meet. If you contact him just tell him you got his name from me (carolyn Keiper). he deals in small orders (not 10's of thousandths). you just have to set up an account and put your order on your credit card
Hopefully this helps you some. I honestly can't complain about their prices or what they have available. I truly can't afford to buy from most of the small catalogs after seeing his prices. I have not ordered rooted cuttings through him though.(I have a greenhouse I can drive to that sells rooted cutting.)

Grimes Horticulture
Jim Spisak (Spee-zak)
1800 241-7333
Old February 2, 2018   #54
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So... I decided just to call the sales rep from my major supplier. his first response was NC farms for small quantities. now, that said. you can call my sales rep and set up your own account. Your best bet would be to order rooted cuttings though. you have a smaller minimum quantities to meet. If you contact him just tell him you got his name from me (carolyn Keiper). he deals in small orders (not 10's of thousandths). you just have to set up an account and put your order on your credit card
Hopefully this helps you some. I honestly can't complain about their prices or what they have available. I truly can't afford to buy from most of the small catalogs after seeing his prices. I have not ordered rooted cuttings through him though.(I have a greenhouse I can drive to that sells rooted cutting.)

Grimes Horticulture
Jim Spisak (Spee-zak)
1800 241-7333
Thank you! That is very kind of you to share. I have heard of Grimes, from my previous work.

So today I spoke to my supplier in VA. They only sell the finished pots. She eluded to contract reasons, but they get in around 20000 plugs. They are Yoder brand.

Oddly enough... she recommended NC Farms.. for small orders.

I did some math on NC Farms vs Raker. This is all based on minimums.

Raker - $142 shipped to my door. 4 Varieties. 204 plugs. Comes out to 69 cents a plug.

NC Farms - $172 picked up. 4 Varieties. 400 plugs. Comes out to 43 cents a plug. But add in fuel cost to pickup. Probably $40 round trip. So closer to $212

Honestly, I dont need 400 plugs. Im not sure I need 200 either. But, I would rather deal with 200 then 400.

Fun times.
Old February 2, 2018   #55
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the other big suppliers are syngenta and gettaflora? I have no idea who gettaflora is unless I misunderstood what he said.

call him (Jim Spisak) and ask what his minimum quantities would be.

Oh I missed Dummen. but the minimums were so huge for all of them. these were the suppliers for unrooted cuttings. Minimum of 1500 to 3000 cuttings in quantites of 100

Raker was the first name for rooted cuttings that the said. the quantities were much smaller though that you had to purchase. I think he said 300 in quantities of 50's per variety.

Last edited by clkeiper; February 2, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #56
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
the other big suppliers are syngenta and gettaflora? I have no idea who gettaflora is unless I misunderstood what he said.

call him (Jim Spisak) and ask what his minimum quantities would be.

Oh I missed Dummen. but the minimums were so huge for all of them. these were the suppliers for unrooted cuttings. Minimum of 1500 to 3000 cuttings in quantites of 100

Raker was the first name for rooted cuttings that the said. the quantities were much smaller though that you had to purchase. I think he said 300 in quantities of 50's per variety.
I did call, got a voicemail. No big deal...

Meanwhile, I did call Raker to clarify the details.

Minimum is 4 trays of 50 (51). $35.50 each. Shipping included. Total of $142. Order 13 weeks early and get a 10% discount.

And yes it is "Gediflora". They supply Raker, along with a couple others.
Old February 2, 2018   #57
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oh, good. Gediflora must be a relatively new name? it is not one I can recall seeing. syngenta dummen raker... they are all normal to me, but geiflora?... just doesn't ring a bell. Jim will call you back. I don't do mums. I just don't have the space for them... ever. I don't have flat enough land to set up a system. We would have to get the pan out and level a few areas and I am not interested in doing that. we have the equipment... but trust me... 100' of elevation on a 900' deep lot is a lot of elevation. unless I gave up a part of the garden (which is the only level place around here.)
Old February 2, 2018   #58
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh, good. Gediflora must be a relatively new name? it is not one I can recall seeing. syngenta dummen raker... they are all normal to me, but geiflora?... just doesn't ring a bell. Jim will call you back. I don't do mums. I just don't have the space for them... ever. I don't have flat enough land to set up a system. We would have to get the pan out and level a few areas and I am not interested in doing that. we have the equipment... but trust me... 100' of elevation on a 900' deep lot is a lot of elevation. unless I gave up a part of the garden (which is the only level place around here.)
According to their website, they have offered Commercial Varieties since 1991..

I have several acres myself. But its rather "lumpy" so to speak. Im seriously thinking about some kind of benches. Maybe legs made from t-post pounded in the ground, then conduit for the sides. Wood slats or similar across the top.

Just putting some ideas out there.
Old February 2, 2018   #59
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

too bad the ground cover doesn't come in brown or tan. I didn't think about the heat until you mentioned it earlier. that isn't an issue most of the time for us but I see where it would be for you. . benches might be a solution for you. If I wanted my husband to level me something he probably would do it and say it wasnt a problem. to me it is too much work. I see trees needing cut down a fence and shed needing moved a retainer wall needing built... nope. the equipment is in the yard. way too much but after '08 a lot of the work he did kind of dried up but we still have the heavy machinery..... just too much work. maybe I could squeeze in a 100 or so in the one greenhouse but I keep thinking I want to try a hydropnic system in there once my Spring crop of flats is out of there.
Old February 2, 2018   #60
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
too bad the ground cover doesn't come in brown or tan. I didn't think about the heat until you mentioned it earlier. that isn't an issue most of the time for us but I see where it would be for you. . benches might be a solution for you. If I wanted my husband to level me something he probably would do it and say it wasnt a problem. to me it is too much work. I see trees needing cut down a fence and shed needing moved a retainer wall needing built... nope. the equipment is in the yard. way too much but after '08 a lot of the work he did kind of dried up but we still have the heavy machinery..... just too much work. maybe I could squeeze in a 100 or so in the one greenhouse but I keep thinking I want to try a hydropnic system in there once my Spring crop of flats is out of there.
Yeah, it gets hot around here. Im trying to get rid of all the black pots I have. Not too many left.

What kind of Hydro system are you thinking? Last year for my tomatoes and peppers I used AKMarks system. That would be considered soiless. It worked amazing. I also tried something similar to an Deep Rail/NFT system, but just couldnt keep the nutrient system cool enough.