Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 25, 2016   #31
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Urban, if I may give you some food for thought.

Since you are using the ingredients you have listed, you need to think about availbility/solubility/mineralization rates.

As I am sure you know, based on your recent postings elsewhere, it takes time, temp, moisture, and microbial action to get those organic fertilizers eventually into the plant.

I used to make mixes like yours. I never got the results I expected. Especially compared to the guy who was growing in straight promix and watering in with miracle grow classic. His plants were awesome and the tomatoes were abundant.

Then it occurred to me: nutrient availability.
The miracle grow guy was feeding in real-time.
Mine was not being supplied fast enough.

You can do it organically, but need to figure out solubility...
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2016   #32
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

I had spent the last hour typing out an elegant and extremely informative post...but accidentally hit the back button and lost it all. In correct context, the following statement would not have sounded as snarky, but it is pretty much an all inclusive summary:

Chemical vs organic ultimately comes down to whether or not you think you know more about what the plant needs than the plant does itself.

Last edited by TheUrbanFarmer; February 25, 2016 at 12:05 PM.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2016   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont really get into long detailed analysis of soil and so on.
I am just a stupid country boy and for the most part let my plants do the talking.
Here are two plants in little one gallon containers just about ready to be planted out in the garden.
As far as I am concerned they are just about as happy as can be.
And I did it all by accident.
I hope you don't mind me posting the pictures here.
Worth
IMG_20160225_15840.jpg

IMG_20160225_29336.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2016   #34
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Don't mind at all. More than glad to have you sharing and following along, Worth!

I'll be starting my seeds indoors this week...in hopes to have them out by late April or early May - weather depending. No greenhouse here.

For the most part, I'm still over here trying to figure out why my pictures posted last year are not showing properly...hahaha! Even more so, which actual photos they were based on dating and how to re-upload them so they work properly. I'm new to this forum thing. It has a pretty decent learning curve.

I realize I have MUCH explaining to do in order for people to get a better understanding of my approach to gardening. I am very aware that my methods are in stark contrast to how most people would approach gardening.

In the mean time, here is a "Cherokee Purple" (eh, I'll discuss the reasoning behind the " " in a later post) in a 5 gallon bucket from last September (9-3). Keep in mind this plant was given nothing but water it's entire life cycle...and was still producing fruit and new flowers. This plant was sitting in a kitchen at church where it was waiting to be picked up and taken to it's new home. That is a 5ft. cage in the bucket. The plant itself, from soil surface up, was pushing 7ft. It had been growing in this bucket, since early June, after being transplanted from a 4" square container.

This should give you a better idea of how the 2015 season went!

Old February 25, 2016   #35
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Wrong info by myself

Last edited by newgardener_tx; February 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: wrong info
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2016   #36
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

I'm a bit south of Raleigh, NC. Temps here are still just above freezing at night. Certainly not too late to start. Our last frost date is usually around April 10. Plants will be 50-70 days old when they get planted outside. That means I'll have fruit from late June - November. I finished some of our last fresh tomatoes last year during Thanksgiving dinner.

Now, I'd agree I am a couple weeks behind my ideal timeline, but seeing as I do not have a greenhouse and things will be exposed to the elements, I think I'll do okay. I'm actually a few weeks ahead of last year, even still.

I averaged around 12# per plant last year. I really don't know how that rates in terms of good or bad production, but it was enough to keep my table full at the local farmers market all late summer and fall. I certainly hope to improve upon those numbers though.

Everything I grew last year was indeterminate, which is the same case this year, with the exception of 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
I am trying your totally tomato food again this year
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

Last edited by TheUrbanFarmer; February 25, 2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 26, 2016   #37
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I totally messed up you with another poster. So sorry.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2016   #38
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

No big deal at all. I'm not going to lie though, the thought of missing a season put me in a slight panic attack at first!!!
Old February 26, 2016   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The Member in confusion is Urbanfarms Me thinks.
He lives in Freeport Texas sells Texas Tomato Food and other organic fertilizer.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2016   #40
bower
Tomatovillian™

hi TheUrbanFarmer,
Just thought I'd let you know, I can see the new pic you posted, but none of the pics were visible last year. So whatever you're doing.. continue!
I'm an organic grower myself, although our soils and resources - and climate! - are very different, it's always interesting to read what other folks are doing.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #41
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Bower. That helps to know! I have located all the relevant pictures for re-uploading. We'll see how much time I find to get that done today.

In the mean time, a quick update on 2016:

I did get 216 seeds planted yesterday. 8 of the 18 varieties I plan to offer and grow this coming season.

Planted so far:

Chocolate Cherry
Yellow Gooseberry
Break 'O Day
Solar Flare
Brimmer
Pineapple
Blue Boar Berries
Purple Bumblebee

I'm really excited for the line up this year. Spring really can't come fast enough. I would love if anyone has experience with any of these lines to share their thoughts and opinions.

I simply can't wait to sink my teeth into more Break 'O Day. If you are looking for that old, classic tomato flavor with a hint of sweetness, I strongly suggest you try them. I was really surprised how they made every grocery store tomato I've ever eaten instantly obsolete.

I'm really excited to try the Blue Boar Berries as well. I am expecting them to be a mini Blue Beauty in all reality. I found I really like the nuance of flavor the anthocyanin contributes to a tomato. It's different. Unique. Having that in a bite sized, take a bowl with me on the go cherry tomato, is exciting!
Old February 28, 2016   #42
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

So, I log in today and all the old pictures are visible again but the new ones I just uploaded are not! Nor are the pictures worth posted above visible any longer.

What gives? The inconsistencies are absolutely confusing and FRUSTRATING! I've not changed any settings. The only thing I have done is log in or log out.

As much as I want to share and participate it seems pointless if the forum behaves in such a manner. I really wish someone would address this. I asked for a mod to review this thread last year with zero response.

I've sent a PM to admin and hopefully it'll be addressed.
Old February 28, 2016   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

T.U.F. I can still see the recent pix (including worth's) and not any of the old ones. I don't see any change in my Firefox browser... seems the problem is on your end?
Old February 28, 2016   #44
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I am confused as to what is going on? I see all the pictures all the time, new and old? AND since I do a lot of planting not only in my garden but in containers and my raised bed PLEASE do not give up and keep posting pictures.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2016   #45
bower
Tomatovillian™

FWIW I've never had a problem uploading photos using the "Manage Attachments" menu at the bottom of the posts. Yes, you have to resize them, and that's a bit of work - i do mine in the Gimp before posting. In the end, it works better IMO than uploading a huge file, which the viewer has to scroll back and forth to see it entirely. So I accept that as part of the effort, and gives a better presentation overall for the site.
There is also software available in some platforms that allows you to resize automatically to whatever parameters you select. I don't have that myself, but in the end I'd just as soon crop and tweak the pix anyway before I send em on, or I would make the effort to find that kind of software and have it done in a blink.