Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 12, 2017   #1
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Default To fertilize or not to fertilize

As some might know, I grow in tiny buckets and after a few weeks the nutrients in the growing medium are used up. From that on I add some water soluble fertilize with every or every other watering, which has always worked well for me.

My plants are now in their buckets for around 4 weeks, the weather was warm and they did grow like crazy. Usually I'd start the fertilizer now but they still look quite well and personally I'd wait a bit longer.

What's your opinion?

yes, that thing grew that tall in only 4 weeks

Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I think it's getting more than enough nitrogen.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe in waiting for signs of deficiency and then trying to "treat" with fertilizer like a medicine. I see lots of folks do that and it causes a lot of imbalances, deficiencies and related problems like BER.
I think they look very healthy, keep doing what you are doing.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't back off on fertilizer only the ratios of it should change. back off on the nitrogen. the plants need potassium and phosphorus for bud and fruit development.
and if you can find something with micro nutrients use that, too. magnesium and sulfur are great additions to the soil, too.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 12, 2017 at 01:06 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #5
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

They had no fertilizer since transplanting (4 weeks)... And only a tiny bit before that. Usually they should be in need of nutrients right now I don't know why they look so well fed. The only thing I gave them is mycorrhiza.

The fertilizer I'll use is well balanced with micro nutrients and was always great for my tomatoes...
Old June 12, 2017   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Don't wait for yellowing or chlorosis etc to develop. They are about to set fruit and need lots of nutrients.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
They had no fertilizer since transplanting (4 weeks)... And only a tiny bit before that. Usually they should be in need of nutrients right now I don't know why they look so well fed. The only thing I gave them is mycorrhiza.

The fertilizer I'll use is well balanced with micro nutrients and was always great for my tomatoes...
Let's see if we can solve this mystery. The plants look awfully good for not being fertilized by you. What soil are they planted in? (Manufacturer? Brand?)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #8
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Aldi��Extremly cheap potting mix. Honestly the only explanation I have is the mycorrhiza...
Old June 12, 2017   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Aldi��Extremly cheap potting mix. Honestly the only explanation I have is the mycorrhiza...
Aldi's Gardenline Potting Mix? Must be a pretty nutrient hot mix "Feeds up to nine months"
Old June 12, 2017   #10
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I'm living in Germany here they are all peat moss based and I think it's a different product than in the U.S. . Had this one for years but maybe they changed the supplier it looked a lot coarser than before. Usually it feeds for 4-6 weeks but with the hot weather I thought it should be used up by now.
Old June 12, 2017   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Love, just the right amount, and a darn good green thumb. Mulched, talked to, checked,
not an over-bearing parent, lol. Healthy soil. Attention to watering needs....

Understanding that you want all that good lookin' to continue. Baby steps with the ferts.
Gorgeous plants.
Trust your instincts. I agree with Karen to not pull back and wait, just keep up with
your gut decisions when to do what. It seems you have the tending/attention down.

My mother has that touch. Me not so much. Her plants and yard plants almost look
fake they are so healthy....but she loves the daily chores and pulls all unsightly leaves
religiously so nothing unhealthy has a chance.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

They do look good, but not overfed, so I think you can go ahead.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #13
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm living in Germany here they are all peat moss based and I think it's a different product than in the U.S. . Had this one for years but maybe they changed the supplier it looked a lot coarser than before. Usually it feeds for 4-6 weeks but with the hot weather I thought it should be used up by now.
I remember the last time I saw that soil at Aldi's here it was a peat based mix. I never tried any because I grow organically and the Gardenline potting soil contains slow release synthetic fertilizer. How long that fertilizer actually lasts...who knows?

I don't know when you inoculated with mycorrhiza but it's probably a good thing you didn't add any additional fertilizer because too much available Phosphorous will inhibit the spores from germinating.
Old June 12, 2017   #14
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Oakley, thank you for those kind words Yes, I love checking my tomatoes frequently and sometimes I'm sad that there isn't more work to do But I've killed every single indoor plant I ever had in no time because of severe neglection

RayR, sadly, with my extremly limited space, synthetic is the only thing that works... In those tiny buckets, there is no chance to get all the micro nutrients right without a complete fertilizer. I hope that some day I'll have a real garden... Till that day I'm happy that I can at least do some kind of gardening
Old June 12, 2017   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Merediana;646741]Oakley, thank you for those kind words Yes, I love checking my tomatoes frequently and sometimes I'm sad that there isn't more work to do But I've killed every single indoor plant I ever had in no time because of severe neglection

I have very few houseplants because i rarely tend them properly. The few remaining are
loving the neglect. They live. A few sentimental-ish. (the original owner left one behind
and went into assistant living so i take care of that one).

Good home health for air quality i've heard and makes sense...just not my main focus,
day by day.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote