Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2018   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Waltingers Fleisch aus Idien

In my final tomato slot for 2018 I've decided to grow Waltingers Fleisch aus Idien. It was recommended to me from Gardenboy and I got seeds from him last winter.

Besides the reports of very good, rich and earthy flavor (from him) as well as a good write up at Tatiana's:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/W...sch_aus_Indien

There is almost nothing in any TVille threads about it, so I thought it must not be a very widely grown tomato. So I'll post a few things about it as the growing season progresses, a little less than 2 months for me from tomato sowing. Those that have grown it, feel free to add your thoughts on this tomato.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2018   #2
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to know more about it also and will be following your thread this season.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

https://www.google.com/search?q=Walt...&bih=815&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old February 11, 2018   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Have you ever grown it Carolyn? I had already read a few pages of Google links, a lot of seed vendors and a site or two recycling Tatiana’s images. Nothing too insightful.
Old February 11, 2018   #5
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I had planned to grow this one in 2017 from seeds I bought from Heritage, but ran out of room under my grow lights. This year I'm growing a bunch of small saladettes of various colors, and Waltingers is one of them. We'll have to compare notes in a couple of months!

It appears that Indische Fleisch, which also comes up in Carolyn's Google search, is a different variety...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I had planned to grow this one in 2017 from seeds I bought from Heritage, but ran out of room under my grow lights. This year I'm growing a bunch of small saladettes of various colors, and Waltingers is one of them. We'll have to compare notes in a couple of months!

It appears that Indische Fleisch, which also comes up in Carolyn's Google search, is a different variety...
No, I haven't grown this variety and don't intend to and yes, Indische Fleish is a different variety.

Carolyn
Old February 13, 2018   #7
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I grew it couple of years ago. It had early yield, very tasty, exactly that earthy description so many love. It succumbed to something early/ as many that year/ so am not sure on total yield I would have had.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Here is plant. It is very thick stemmed. Foliage cover is quite good and the leaf shape is hard to describe, but subtly different. A healthy vigorous plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5BDE418A-62DD-4530-803B-82FB5B4C28EC.jpeg (381.9 KB, 151 views)
Old May 31, 2018   #9
Hervey
Tomatovillian™

This one is on my 'strongly want to grow' list. I will be looking for the reports. Thanks!
Hervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #10
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Mine looks similar to jmsieglaff's (which is gorgeous!), but is a week or two younger. Seeds germinated in 4 days on a heat mat; planted out 5/21, buds appeared by 5/28. I'm comparing this variety with two other dark saladettes this year (Nefertiti and Kodiak Brown).
Old July 11, 2018   #11
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year and was happy with it. The fruit on my plant ranged in sizes. The fruit are very dark which was nice. I had it planted beside a black cherry tomato plant (large cherry toms) and the size ranged from that to about double that size. I recall the taste was pretty good too. If I hadn't bee forced to move September 1st I would have more feedback as I usually get at least another month and possibly two out of my tomatoes here on the island. Worth trying. The results are different depending on where you live, how you grow it, what your soil is like, etc so don't take anything I said as gospel, lol.

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I’m very impressed with the plant. Vigorous, good leaf cover, healthy. Good fruit set. Picked the first fruit the other day, hope the flavor is there! About golf ball sized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B0B0DD0-27E9-4C29-B1AB-82AFA31518A3.jpg (589.2 KB, 78 views)
Old January 1, 2019   #13
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the report JM. I love saladette size and this one is in the running for a garden spot this year. Are you growing it again?

Hudson Valley, how did it compare to Nefertiti and Kodiak Brown?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #14
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'll grow it again in the future, but not in 2019. It was a delicate balance between flavor I enjoyed very much and wasted fruits with the bad splitting. FWIW, 2018 August and September were extremely wet for me.

My end of year notes for this were:
Vigorous plant with very high production. Very tasty dark tomato, rich and earthy, nice tang with enough sweetness. Good texture--nice and juicy. BUT these things split at the mention of rain, splitting was so bad I would have to pick completely green to avoid having useless fruits. Might do better in a dry year or a controlled soil moisture setup. Taste rating: 8.5
Old January 2, 2019   #15
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Serious cracking/splitting/rotting here, too. The plant was also a mold magnet. It's a shame, because the variety is otherwise appealing. I'll regrow Nefertiti and Kodiak Brown, but Waltingers will not return (unless I inherit some money and build a greenhouse first). Nefertiti, which is super dark in color and very flavorful, was probably my favorite of the three, but I really liked Kodiak Brown, too. FYI - a Caprese salad made of Jaune Flamme, Kodiak Brown and/or Nefertiti, and a narrow log of mozzarella is stunning in both looks and flavor.