Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2018   #586
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default View from back door

This was the first day. It got a lot worse. The patio became covered with water. Remember the storm was moving very slowly and would stall.

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0826170856-1-1.jpg (497.2 KB, 94 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #587
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I haven had the tv on or weather in days what the devil is this?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #588
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Harvey pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I haven had the tv on or weather in days what the devil is this?

Worth

I noticed this thread just recently. Thought I'd chime in. Hope that's OK...I said I was VERY late to the party. Like about a year late.

Donna

Last edited by SpookyShoe; July 8, 2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old July 8, 2018   #589
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, what a scary sight out your door, but I am sure glad you didn't get flooded. I would recommend you read the thread, lots of good and bad in it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #590
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay I was freaked out for a minute looking for a storm in the gulf.

Worth
Old July 8, 2018   #591
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default For Rockporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Wow, what a scary sight out your door, but I am sure glad you didn't get flooded. I would recommend you read the thread, lots of good and bad in it.
I can't imagine what it must have been like for you that night. Hopefully you're back on your feet by now. I'll read the posts in this thread.

Donna
Old July 8, 2018   #592
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
I can't imagine what it must have been like for you that night. Hopefully you're back on your feet by now. I'll read the posts in this thread.

Donna

I wasn't here for that, we evacuated to Del Valle for 5 days or so. We are still making repairs, but for the most part are done. Still need to finish painting outside and replace the damaged drywall in the garage and laundry room. You'll read all about it in the thread.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 8, 2018   #593
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default I read every page of this thread

Finally I'm at the end of the thread. Lots of interesting stories. Thankfully, all the Tomatovillians made it through the storm safely. El Lago, where I live, is for all intents and purposes a suburb of Houston. So we didn't have much damage in the way of winds, but the flooding was catastrophic. Record rainfall, with many parts of the metropolitan area getting 4 feet. I can't believe I was so lucky and so many others were not. Multiple hurricanes packed into about a two-week period. Poor Puerto Rico! Thank you to the rest of America and the world who donated money and resources to the area affected by the storms. I remember so many telethons at the national level and Americans came through and donated for strangers. Thank you to all of you who did that. Thank you Cajun Navy. Thank you Dr. Carolyn for asking about me.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Old July 8, 2018   #594
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

How long does it take for the water to recede and for a garden to recover from flooding like that, there? Hard to imagine garden plants liking it.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #595
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
How long does it take for the water to recede and for a garden to recover from flooding like that, there? Hard to imagine garden plants liking it.

Not long and most people, 'at least old timers put their plants up on long mounds or berms to stay out of the water.
We got some heavy rains when I lived there.
One time I woke up and had 6 inches of water in the house.
Old July 9, 2018   #596
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post

Two weeks after Harvey our friends place was still flooded to the second step of their porch. I had to drive in sideways and step out of my truck onto the second step to get inside and salvage things for them. It was still too much water a week later to walk up to the steps. The fourth week it was low enough with the house still surrounded on three sides but the steps were clear to walk up the steps and inside. this was in Rockport TX.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 9, 2018   #597
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to name that surviving tree, could you all help me with that please?

Pink flowers are beautiful, but I don't think Harvey Survivor is a good name for it because it seems it needs a female name. Harvina? Hmm. Harvey-Grace?

The Weather Channel has a program on right now about Harvey's damages. They already covered Houston and the up to 60" of rain in some places. They are now covering Rockport and Port Aransas, so I am going to plop down in front of the television and watch it.

The program is called, "Hurricanes 2017-Cruel and Unusual. They talk about all hurricanes for 2017, and how catastrophic that year was compared to 2005 and Hurricane Katrina.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 9, 2018 at 02:52 AM.
Old July 9, 2018   #598
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Did I tell you all about our front of the house paint and lighting job? I am not sure so I will again because I love it. So, we (I-not so much hubby) have always disliked the ugly maroon paint on the house with the red brick and dark window frames. It made the house look way too dark and uninviting in my opinion. I kept saying I want white windows to lighten the house up and we have to replace our doors too. Well, that is cost prohibiting right now so we did the next best thing to the front windows. We pulled the plastic off the windows and scrubbed them down real well, then pressure washed them, steel wooled them smooth, washed off again, and let dry. Hubby taped it all off, and painted them white and put in new plastic mutton, or ??? (not remembering what that is called) surrounding each square in the windows. Got a new white outdoor lamp for the garage, and already had a white storm door, with glass in it to keep the rain off the front door. Since it blows right into the house when you open the door, in-spite of having a covered front porch because the house faces north.

We have a nice new brown color, more between dark and light chocolate but closer to light chocolate in color to replace the ugly maroon paint on the trim, and bring out the brown splotches in the red brick. We have a lighter color of pinkish on the rest of the house. I am not sure what to call it, kind of orange, but pink too. Then hubby also added some LED lighting to the underside of the eaves, this makes the house glow nicely, there are 7 colors with a combination of about 30 different ways to use it with the remote. We had our own light show for July Fourth with it flashing fast on and off and in all the colors. Otherwise we have a nice glow at night which is set to the lowest setting. It looks awesome and sure makes it easy to see our house on the dark street. Now, we just need to paint all the other windows, add new white screens like the ones he made for the front windows, and finish painting the rest of the house. Then we will be done with the outdoors for now. We still have the interior ceilings to fix but that will have to be later too, it's too hot to tear all that down and so far there is no mold forming on it. So, unless that changes it can wait until it cools down a tad.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 9, 2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old July 9, 2018   #599
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I'd like to name that surviving tree, could you all help me with that please?

Pink flowers are beautiful, but I don't think Harvey Survivor is a good name for it because it seems it needs a female name. Harvina? Hmm. Harvey-Grace?

The Weather Channel has a program on right now about Harvey's damages. They already covered Houston and the up to 60" of rain in some places. They are now covering Rockport and Port Aransas, so I am going to plop down in front of the television and watch it.

The program is called, "Hurricanes 2017-Cruel and Unusual. They talk about all hurricanes for 2017, and how catastrophic that year was compared to 2005 and Hurricane Katrina.

Maybe the name of your lady friend you got it from as a "home" name that would always remind you of her?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #600
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Boats on my street...last pic, I promise

Harvey was finally over, for my small area at least, the rain stopped, and the boats came out.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-07-09-17-23-35.jpg (289.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by SpookyShoe; July 9, 2018 at 09:11 PM.