Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2013   #1
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm throwing in the towel!

Okay...I've got to vent! This has been by far the worst year growing tomatoes I have ever had. It all started out great. 99% seeded varieties germinated and grew into healthy stocky transplants. I planted the 1st of May and for awhile grew beautiful plants. Boy was I happy. Then the heat, humidity and rains came. Everything went down hill afterwards. The plants all except Baxters Early got late blight and every virus, disease, fungus known to man. Still I had some fruit, but not for long because when the heat came so did the bugs right about the time of ripening. Bored holes in the stem ends of the tomatoes and the flies did the rest. The only fruit that I got were the ones I picked early and ripened in the house. This past weekend I went out and ripped everything out of the ground. My logic is that if the bugs and disease don't give me any fruit then they won't get any either. After wallering around for 2 days in self pity I bought from the farm store a few more heat resistant tomatoes and replanted hoping things will change for the fall havest. I'm writing this because everyone else seems to be having a good year except me. If anyone else had this same experience I would sure like to hear it 'cuz after 45 years of gardening I'm beginning to doubt if it's me or I must be living in a biohazard area. Besides misery loves company. Oh I could go on but I think I'll just hrumph and read you alls successes.
Old July 23, 2013   #2
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ken, 3 out of my 5 tomato beds have the same thing as you described above: diseases and bugs. And I did exactly the same thing as you, I picked tomatoes from these plants green. I'll post the pictures so you can feel better.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #3
peppero
Tomatovillian™

sorry about your plight and many of us have wondered at times whether we actually know anything at all.

i have planted okra twice this year and have had nary a one even sprout. never had much trouble before. radishes sprouted but have hardly produced. squash beautiful plant with almost no bug problems and only five squash. pole beans were PITIFUL. bush beans have hardly sprouted/produced; just enough for one meal. on the plus side, i have lost only a few tomato plants. on the negative side production is so so but the plants are regenerating. maybe, just maybe.............

it could be worse though.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #4
DRT0MAT0
Tomatovillian™

Move north, in the last 3 weeks I've picked 5gal. of bush beens and toms are just starting to ripen up. Toms are loaded with fruit. Cukes and zucchini are a little slow but loaded with flowers. Shapeing up to be a really good year. I haven't had to water at all, but spraying for diease every 4 to 5 days since it's been so wet.
DRT0MAT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I started horrible, never gave up the faith, and my plants recovered. Everything is late, but so far looks like it is going to be a good year after all. I have tomatillos, which always got eaten, and egg plant, which always attracted every bug and disease known to man. First time ever.

Strangely I haven't gotten any okra this year. Okra is usually a piece of cake in Oklahoma. Something keeps eating it before it even gets its second set of true leaves. I'll probably plant yet again today or tomorrow.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I started horrible, never gave up the faith, and my plants recovered. Everything is late, but so far looks like it is going to be a good year after all. I have tomatillos, which always got eaten, and egg plant, which always attracted every bug and disease known to man. First time ever.

Strangely I haven't gotten any okra this year. Okra is usually a piece of cake in Oklahoma. Something keeps eating it before it even gets its second set of true leaves. I'll probably plant yet again today or tomorrow.
I am trying okra first time and it is in a container.

Old July 23, 2013   #7
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

Nature threw everything it could at me this season, weather-wise. Still, this being California and all, I still got a few hundred pounds from the plants. They are starting to show their age now and the peak of harvesting is definitely behind me.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I feel you, bro. Tomatoes are TOUGH this year - it rained THREE TIMES yesterday in Atlanta alone. Three separate downpours. More today. We are up to 42 inches so far in 2013, with an annual average of 52 inches. I am pulling yellow fronds off plants as fast as possible. Replanting from my reservoir of reserve plants.

i have planted okra twice this year and have had nary a one even sprout. Same thing for me. Oddest thing I have ever seen. Perhaps too cool?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #9
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

I too feel your pain. I was probably days away from taking a machete to all my tomato plants so I could have the final say and not let the deer ruin me. My mom had originally forbid me from fencing since she didn't want the unsightly stuff in her front yard. After she saw that my many many months of dedicated hard work were being destroyed she let up and let me fence them off. Of coarse now there has been a heat wave and all of the new buds on my plants have dropped. All of my Olpalkas have pretty heavy blossom end rot (not sure if the heavy rains earlier this season or the drought/heatwave caused this). Basically killed my idea of pasting this year. I also have some septoria going around. This is my first year growing tomatoes. It ain't easy. I also planted a ton of basil and usually the two or three plants I have done were a breeze. This year NONE of them have taken off year and I have about 8-9 tiny plants that wouldn't make a single batch of pesto.

Of coarse I gave my mom and her boyfriend a bunch of left over tomato plants they put in his garden about an hour away in Indiana. They never touched them, no pruning, no fertilizing, no watering besides the rain. Friggin things are monsters with out the slightest hint of disease or pest. Ill probably get more from those plants than the ones I'm slaving over at my house. So it goes I guess.

Last edited by Emeoba69; July 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #10
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

We have had so much rain here. We had horrible weather during the time I usually plant out and get seed in. Everything went in a couple of weeks late. Then had to survive one of the wettest weirdest springs/early summers ever. Then we had record breaking rain a couple of weeks ago. More rain fell in a 2 hour period than we normally get in all of July.

I have fought wet cold weather, then fungus, then heatwaves. I am surprised anything is alive. I am almost waiting for a scourge of bugs next.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Ken, I am wondering if you kept up with your spraying this year? I found that it really helped - Daconil in particular.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I gave away seedlings of broccoli and pekingese cabbages yesterday. Dryness, dryness and dryness. The rain wasn´t thirty day. I have water for tomatoes only.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04072013244.jpg (330.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; July 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeoba69 View Post
I gave my mom and her boyfriend a bunch of left over tomato plants they put in his garden about an hour away in Indiana. They never touched them, no pruning, no fertilizing, no watering besides the rain. Friggin things are monsters with out the slightest hint of disease or pest. Ill probably get more from those plants than the ones I'm slaving over at my house. So it goes I guess.
The same happened to me. The 'babies' I gave to my mother are growing happily ever after and pushing foliage & fruit
While my own balcony garden is ok, but has suffered in the heat waves - and showing symptoms of some sort of foliar disease, viral or fungal, I don't know.

It seems always wise to have plants growing in different locations under various circumstances to make sure one will get at least some reward for one's labors.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #14
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for all the difficulties! Man, we would love to have some of that excess rain you guys in the southeast have had in Texas. Our lakes are drying up, we are way behind average rainfall again for at least the 3rd year in a row.

We do have in common an usually cool weather in the spring that made everything really late, but, that's a distant memory with 100 degrees today.

I think with tomatoes it is typically one thing or another or two or three challenges per year and often that makes it interesting. Unfortunately, sometimes the bear wins and it sounds like you are having such a year! Did you ever try Bill's bleach spray? I did another round this morning to try to reign back in black mold that went crazy when we had 3 days of cloud cover and light rain much of that time (very low total rain fall, but, nothing like 72 hours of wet leaves and cooler temps to make disease explode). It really does help when you get behind disease in spite of preventative measures. Good luck and maybe better luck next year.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #15
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

As promised. More than half tomatoes needed to be pulled. The only reason they are still in is that some vines are a bit green with very few leaves and I hope it may give tomatoes a chance to ripen.
Amazon Chocolate was pulled first.
Anna Russian has huge tomato on the vine and it is first time that I am growing it, but the plant is very sick.
Barlow Jap (first time as well) has a small side shoot remaining green. The rest of the plant was cut.
You are not alone.

btw the green on the bottom is marigolds, not tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05245.jpg (614.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05246.jpg (589.0 KB, 119 views)