Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 23, 2017   #61
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Dixie Golden Giant

She sure is Golden alright! This is one where I mistakenly called Dixie Green Giant. Thankfully a Tv'er helped me get the name straight or I would have picked then all in green stage.

Lovely tomato. Makes lots of them. They all weigh between 12-14 oz. They turn a warm, sunshine yellow. Not a real thick skinned tomato. A very productive plant. Only had one small tomato that got BER from all the rains we had, but the hornworms sure liked this ones leaves. Thankfully they didn't get the tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July23,2017 013.JPG (88.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg July23,2017 015.JPG (88.0 KB, 102 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #62
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Happy Jack

I'm sure happy with this heart! No way does it compare in size with the Dotson's heart, but I'll take. Biggest heart grown for me so far. Hearts weighed in between 8 and 10 oz. Probably would have gotten bigger but it was in a bit too much shade from wooden frame above it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July23,2017 016.JPG (77.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg July23,2017 018.JPG (78.4 KB, 102 views)
Old July 23, 2017   #63
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Those are gorgeous tomatoes! The yellow ones look yummy too!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #64
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Eli

I'm singing that song, Eli coming... for sure. The most productive plant I have grown this season. I can't keep up with Eli. He's all over th table and counters.
Weight ranges from 10-12 oz. Nice red color on outside and nice and juicy. Makes good BLT's or just 'mater sandwiches. No BER on this one nor any other problems. A grow again for sure.

One thing I especially enjoyed with this heirloom is that all the tomatoes looked like them nice beautiful ones in grocery store. Thank goodness these sure didn't taste like them. No carboard taste here at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July232017part2 004.JPG (64.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg July232017part2 005.JPG (70.2 KB, 101 views)
Old July 23, 2017   #65
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Gurker's Special

Now I'm not sure how to describe the color on this one. Bottom is like a faint greenish/yellowish color with green shoulders. A little bit of cracking going on as I didn't know when to pick it and I think I left it on the vine too long. Maters weigh about 4-6 oz. Not too many tomatoes on plant, but made up in flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July232017part2 011.JPG (54.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg July232017part2 012.JPG (83.9 KB, 96 views)
Old July 23, 2017   #66
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

beautiful, how did Pierces Pride work for u?
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #67
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacon Jewel

The one I thought was going to be a bicolor since it had red and yellow striping on it the entire time it was growing, but it fooled me. It turns a solid red color when fully ripe. All the striping disappears. Very pretty tomato to watch growing as it changes colors. Tomatoes from 6-8 oz. Now I did have some problems of Ber with this one during our non stop weeks of rain.

This plant also gave me fits. I had alot of problems with it once the super high heat temps were on. Plant started out beautiful and once fruit started tuing into blush stage, for some reason it started turning its leaves all yellow. No disease on the leaves or mites or anything. Don't know if I had the strings tied too tight or if it had major nutrient problems as everybody here gets same amount of ferts and water. Maybe a more experienced grower would have good luck with this one. Not one I would recommend to a beginner grower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July232017part2 001.JPG (83.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg July232017part2 003.JPG (81.4 KB, 96 views)
Old July 23, 2017   #68
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Those are gorgeous tomatoes! The yellow ones look yummy too!
Thanks! if you like yellows, just wait until I get fully ripe pics of the Kentucky Yellow Beefsteak. They a real beauty and a deep yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
beautiful, how did Pierces Pride work for u?
Here ya go Gerardo! Was just getting ready to upload Pierce's Pride when I saw your post. Sorry pics aren't better, but have trouble getting the rich reddish/chocolate/bronze color to show on the bottom and sides and it has deep green shoulders. Another one I left on vine too long and a few started trying to crack at top. No break through cracks though.

I liked it and it did well for me. Made lots of 6 oz tomatoes. It's a very ..very juicy tomato. Red meat and green gel sac around seeds of which there aren't too many. With having the brozy color I thought it might have a smokey flavor, but nope it sweet. Very sweet. I'd grow it again, but I like sweet in my tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July232017part2 007.JPG (79.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg July232017part2 008.JPG (75.7 KB, 98 views)
Old July 23, 2017   #69
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Mule Team

It wild west time here with these guys. I'm so glad I grew this one. Another picture perfect tomato that looks like box store, but not. Loads of even sized 6 oz tomatoes. A real favorite for me this year. A real hang tough plant. Didn't seem to mind anything weather wise that got throwed at it. A sure grow again for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July232017part2 009.JPG (71.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg July232017part2 010.JPG (72.8 KB, 97 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #70
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Kentucky Yellow Beefsteak

One very yellow and very meaty tomato. No wonder this one not around. There hardly any seeds in it. Some of the fruits barely had ten seeds in even the larger tomatoes.

Yellow skin and pale yellow meat with a good flavor. A touch of sweetness and no juice either.

Pic is one of the smaller tomatoes. I had used all the other ones for seed production before I realized I had forgotten to get a pic. Avg weight was 6-8 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July25,2017 002.JPG (85.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg July25,2017 004.JPG (94.0 KB, 84 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #71
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Plum Tigris

A very large, think this is called a paste shaped tomato or maybe a large grape. I don't know my shapes very well.

Avg weight from 4-6 oz. it is a bi-color. Reddish/orange with faint yellow stripes. The yellow stripes are not straight, more jagged looking. This one was beautiful to look at in green stage and tastes even better in ripe stage. One I'll grow again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July25,2017 001.JPG (91.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg July25,2017 003.JPG (102.2 KB, 84 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #72
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default For Fred Hempel

Here ya go FredH. last pics for you of the GBT's. I took three pics of each from different angles. Crazy storms and flooding weather here this week with clouds in and out and hopefully you'll be able to see them good.

All have the green coloring with red striping. Green insides and green gel around seeds. Nothing really unique in the plants. They all more or less performed the same and looked the same. The only real difference was in the fruit skins and amount of juice.

GBT #1 & #2 had thicker skins, more meat and not as many seeds.
GBT #3 a little less meat and bit more juice.
GBT#4 the thinnest skin and very juicy.

With GBT#3 and GBT#4 especially, the taste was sweet. Very sweet , but not sickening sweet.

Personally I preferred GBT # 3, but that just me. Like some meat and juice.

The only real problem I had was figuring out when to pick them. They do need picked just shortly after the red stripes appear. That's when they taste the best too. Not knowing if they were going to turn fully red, I left them on too long and then they started to split.

Not quite as sweet as Blush, but then I am spoiled by Blush, but very good overall.

Seeds are fermenting now. Thanks for the opportunity to grow them out for you.

First up GBT #1 ( others to follow in order)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 008.JPG (77.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 009.JPG (81.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 010.JPG (92.8 KB, 73 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #73
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default FRED Hempel GBT #2

GBT # 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 002.JPG (84.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 003.JPG (88.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 004.JPG (103.4 KB, 74 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #74
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default For Fred Hempel GBT # 3

GBT # 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 011.JPG (80.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 012.JPG (83.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 013.JPG (87.8 KB, 72 views)
Old July 25, 2017   #75
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default For Fred Hempel GBT #4

GBT # 4

Soon as the seeds done fermenting and dried good, will be on their way back to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 005.JPG (93.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 006.JPG (73.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Fred Hempel GBT's 007.JPG (71.0 KB, 71 views)