Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Leaffooted Bugs

The ones in our gardens are called Leptoglossus clypealis

This site isn't that long and explains anything you would want to know about them. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74168.html

They like tomatoes, and cited from the above site "They are closely related to other sucking insects, such as stink bugs (family Pentatomidae) that can also suck juices from plants."

They showed up yesterday, and they will fly at your head. They also like to hang out in groups...maybe they should have named them 'Teenager Bugs'. Don't let the ugly tomato plant scare you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0067.JPG (50.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0068.JPG (79.2 KB, 160 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #2
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

They especially like the sweet ones--cherries like Sungold, Esterina, etc, etc. They don't like Bifenthrin sprays.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Permethrin and soapy water will kill then also. I have been vigilant this year in killing off the small hatches of the juveniles with a hand sprayer when I see them. They are easiest to kill at that stage of life because they will stay together like a small herd of little orange or red bugs with long black legs and they are sitting ducks. Once they get mature they are much harder to get rid of and they are laying eggs everywhere to make matters worse.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

In a week's time, the leaffooted bugs got REAL bad! They would fly at you as you walked by. Early this morning, I sprayed the plants down with a gallon of Triazicide mix. It is three hours later and I don't see a single one that isn't dead. Triazicide http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectraci...29-2/100034451 it's on sale. The bottle says 'For Lawns and Landscapes', but the instructions includes vegetables.

Next weekend, I'll spay with "Worry Free® Brand products contain pyrethrins derived from chrysanthemum flowers." http://www.worryfreebrand.com/All-Pr...rate/overview/
Old June 17, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like you have them pretty bad so there are going to be more. If you have that many adults they will lay eggs all over the place. They also like to hang out on cucumbers and bell peppers. They will mess up your fruit on both bells and tomatoes just like stink bugs. You did the right thing hitting them hard because they are not easy to control when there are a lot of them.

Bill
Old June 17, 2017   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
In a week's time, the leaffooted bugs got REAL bad! They would fly at you as you walked by. Early this morning, I sprayed the plants down with a gallon of Triazicide mix. It is three hours later and I don't see a single one that isn't dead. Triazicide http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectraci...29-2/100034451 it's on sale. The bottle says 'For Lawns and Landscapes', but the instructions includes vegetables.

Next weekend, I'll spay with "Worry Free® Brand products contain pyrethrins derived from chrysanthemum flowers." http://www.worryfreebrand.com/All-Pr...rate/overview/
That says it's not safe for edibles in the information Product Overview Details at Home Depot site.

Details

Application Type
Sprayer Application
Pest Type
Ants,Aphids,Beetles,Chinch Bugs,Fleas,Grubs,Japanese Beetles,Mites,Mole Crickets,Mosquitos,Sod Webworms,Ticks,Whiteflies
Concentrated or Ready to Use
Concentrated
Returnable
90-Day
Indoor/Outdoor
Outdoor
Safe for Edibles
No
Organic
No
Safe for Pets
Yes

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm not familiar with that poison but if it says it isn't safe for edibles then you probably should wait a week before eating anything you sprayed with it and wash them first. If it is safe for pets then it probably isn't too bad; but you might want to read up on it some. I like to stick with the tried and true Permethrin or the natural Pyrethrin for things I am going to be eating. If I get really desperate I will resort to Malathion or Sevin but then I have to wait a while before consuming. I haven't had to resort to anything more potent than Permethrin in quite a few years. Knock on wood; this year the pests are coming on strong.

Bill
Old June 17, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I picked all the ripe and blushing tomatoes yesterday. Most got thrown into the burning pile - the others I'm using for extra juice to save seeds with. The leaffooted bugs ruined the ripe tomatoes just like stink bugs do. That's why I used Nukacide...Triazicide.
Old June 18, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You can get the same results with Permethrin, food grade DE and soapy water without having to wait long to eat the produce. I have been using that mix when I want to go nuclear because it will kill just about all the insects in the garden and the DE keeps on working for a long while unless it is washed off.

Bill
Old June 18, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bill, where do you get food grade DE? I saw a 25 lb. bag of DE at the local Feed and Seed. I didn't have my glasses on at the time, so I didn't read the bag.
Old June 18, 2017   #11
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Bill, where do you get food grade DE? I saw a 25 lb. bag of DE at the local Feed and Seed. I didn't have my glasses on at the time, so I didn't read the bag.
Well, I'm not Bill but that would be food grade if you are buying at the feed and Seed. They give it to the animals and use it in other areas around the pens.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 18, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thanks Rockporter. If I remember correctly it was only $23.99 for 25 pounds.
Old June 18, 2017   #13
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Rockporter. If I remember correctly it was only $23.99 for 25 pounds.
That's about right. It will last a very long time. Wear a mask and eye protection when using that stuff.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 19, 2017   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
That's about right. It will last a very long time. Wear a mask and eye protection when using that stuff.
From what I have heard you will find food grade DE used in stored grains to help keep out insects and thus it is also in your flour. I don't know if they add it to the flour when milling or not but when I was a kid my mother almost always had to sift flour to get weevils out and now they seem to have disappeared from flour. We keep it dusted under our sink and in the lower cabinets and whenever we see a roach he is dying or dead. It is also a good product for flea powder and to use in dog bedding and dog houses to keep the fleas under control.

Make sure you are getting the food grade because it is lower in the dangerous silica that can cause lung problems. I got mine over the internet and it was relatively cheap but the shipping wasn't since I got a fifty pound bag. I also use it as a dust on my cabbages to help with slugs but I'm not so sure it works on them like it does most insects. Next time I am in our local feed store I'll check and see if they have DE and if they do what grade it is.

Bill
Old June 19, 2017   #15
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
From what I have heard you will find food grade DE used in stored grains to help keep out insects and thus it is also in your flour. I don't know if they add it to the flour when milling or not but when I was a kid my mother almost always had to sift flour to get weevils out and now they seem to have disappeared from flour. We keep it dusted under our sink and in the lower cabinets and whenever we see a roach he is dying or dead. It is also a good product for flea powder and to use in dog bedding and dog houses to keep the fleas under control.

Make sure you are getting the food grade because it is lower in the dangerous silica that can cause lung problems. I got mine over the internet and it was relatively cheap but the shipping wasn't since I got a fifty pound bag. I also use it as a dust on my cabbages to help with slugs but I'm not so sure it works on them like it does most insects. Next time I am in our local feed store I'll check and see if they have DE and if they do what grade it is.

Bill
It's good to dust behind appliances in the kitchen too. The feed stores would sell food grade because they feed to horses and cattle for worms as well.

~Margaret Atwood~