Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2017   #91
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
My wolfgarten tools.
I have the push pull weeder attachment and the cultivator. Best money I ever spent.
I have a bunch of those, too. I love them.
Old June 23, 2017   #92
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My best find was a battery operated reciprocating saw with a pruning blade. This thing will cut through a 3" branch like a breeze, and has made pruning SO much faster and easier on my hands

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #93
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Had to get a stirrup hoe after seeing them. Went for the Johnny seed model.
Hope it's as good as it seems.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #94
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Netafim pre made drippers.
.5 gph pressure compensated emitter with 30" tube attached.
.5gph works out to one ounce per minute, so I don't have to think too hard about setting the timer.
Also at .5gph the pump is small, and the .5" pipe can run a lot of drippers without pressure loss.

The spray stakes are sold separately, I like that they have a position for flow, and one to plug.
Garden changes every year, this allows the dripper system to change with it easily.
Pic shows plugged position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170625_2194.jpg (67.3 KB, 291 views)
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #95
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I picked up two of these from Walmart last night and I really like them.

I am terrible at using too many paper towels and have been trying to stay away from them but found myself back to using too many again. My first effort was to put a plastic container with lid on the counter next to the sink with dish cloths and towels. The lid was a perfect spot to put things on top and I would be frustrated by having to remove such things, like the egg cooker and I would revert to the paper towels because they were easily had.

I also had paper plates, cups, plasticware and napkins in a plastic basket style box on the counter. It was easy to get what I needed but it didn't look very nice.

Now I have one of these with wash cloths on the top level and towels on the bottom level. My towels consist of not only dish towels but 100% cotton flour sack towels that I use in the refrigerator to wrap veggies and also to bake with.

The second one now houses napkins on top, it's the perfect size for that and the bottom level has plates, bowls, cups and utensils in it. The plates have to lay kind of sideways because there is not enough space to stand them up but they lay perfectly over the top of the bowls, so it works for me.

Online the price is $17.88 but I found them in my Walmart for $14.99 each. I really like them, they look much nicer than the plastic and I can easily get to what I need. So, that's what I call a win win.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...Serve/55149822

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #96
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Look for one piece molded aluminium.
Will never wear out or break.My scoop is at least 20 yrs old.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #97
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we have rocks lots and lots of rocks. so far I have picked up two loader bucket fulls from the greenbean area... like I said lots of rocks. I picked up a little aluminum rake at the dollar store one day that has a retractable set of tines. it is fabulous for flipping over and running under a pile of rocks to sort of sift them to dump in a bucket. you can set the rake to be only partially open so the tines are close together.
Old July 18, 2017   #98
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

DynaGro fertilizers. I've been injecting both the Foliage Pro and Bloom formulas through my drip system and the plants are going crazy. Great stuff!
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #99
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
1) Floranova, one-part complete nutrient for soilless mediums. Easy to measure and mix, 1-2tsp per gallon of water at a cost of about 6 cents per gallon. I use it for seedlings and switch to Hydro-Garden's Tomato 4-18-38 after I pot-up.

2)
I got one of those at Sam's for 50 bucks and it is well worth it. It really helps when picking beans and hot peppers. The seat is really comfortable.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #100
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Love Hanes Beefy T T-shirts. They are thick and hold up well to daily wear. Good in the garden in long sleeves with white. It is very hard to find them in store for a good price but I found them on Hanes.com. The long sleeved ones are on sale for $7.99 each and the short sleeved ones are on sale for $4.99 each. Bought hubby some of each.

The short sleeved have a choice between an added pocket and without the pocket. And shipping is free today, what a deal.

http://www.hanes.com/shop/SearchDisp...:&pageSize:20&

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 4, 2017   #101
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Love Hanes Beefy T T-shirts. They are thick and hold up well to daily wear. Good in the garden in long sleeves with white. It is very hard to find them in store for a good price but I found them on Hanes.com. The long sleeved ones are on sale for $7.99 each and the short sleeved ones are on sale for $4.99 each. Bought hubby some of each.

The short sleeved have a choice between an added pocket and without the pocket. And shipping is free today, what a deal.

http://www.hanes.com/shop/SearchDisp...:&pageSize:20&
I am finding some of the best deals from the factories and they are better than retail.
Brick and mortar retail is on its way out big time but it will be a few more years yet.
Some people just have to see it before they buy it.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #102
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
My best find was a battery operated reciprocating saw with a pruning blade. This thing will cut through a 3" branch like a breeze, and has made pruning SO much faster and easier on my hands

Linda
Sounds really useful, Linda - is there a specific brand/model that has lasted for you?
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #103
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I bought a Black and Decker reciprocating saw because hubby has a drill that uses the same batteries so we can use two batteries when doing a big job. The saw has done pretty well for us. We've cut down a ton of branches with it. My friend, who recommended this tool, owns a garden nursery on a large lot, and is happy with her Ryobi.

I bought my saw on Amazon. They also had a good deal on packets of pruning blades

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; August 4, 2017 at 10:02 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #104
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I am finding some of the best deals from the factories and they are better than retail.
Brick and mortar retail is on its way out big time but it will be a few more years yet.
Some people just have to see it before they buy it.
Worth
Or try it on, lol. I don't buy anything without trying it on myself. Hopefully I won't be left in the cold.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 5, 2017   #105
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I sill think that my old worn out shovel/spade is my most satisfying garden tool that lasts , lasts and lasts with no mechanical, electrical or electronic components.
I just had to buy a new handheld pruner. The old one broke. New one (Fiskar ?) says it is "All Steel". The old one's hands were probably aluminum or plastic. I don't know for sure cause the trashman took it away.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote