Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2017   #31
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

So I'm opting out from most of my fall grows:

For 2017, I'm excited for:

Esterina - 2 plants in their final home, some tomatoes, flowers

Matsu Express - all plants in final home, some with flowers

Crnkovic Yugo - no plants in final homes but some have buds.

Seeing if the 2017 Mango season in Florida repeats an unbelievable 2016 season.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I am getting excited just by all of it! I have some really hard decisons to make and figuring out where goes what, but those are good problems. Also will be re-learning to can again and I say re-learn as it has been more than 40 plus years since I did so.

My world went into a spin for many reasons this last year and I am trying to focus on positive things that will level out some of my highs and lows and change the direction of my thoughts, plus give me as much as I can stand and then a bit more, LOL, workout.

Besides, I am longing for a good tasting tomato.
Come visit me. I just ate a Captain Lucky that was so good it made my toes curl. It's the pappy of our KARMAs.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #33
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I certainly know Lucinda well. Bred by Fred Hempel, one parent is Silvery Fir Tree which gives the leaves that lacy look and I offered it in a seed offer and the Fall reports did not go well.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Somehow Fred lost his seeds for it, asked me if I still had some, so I sent all I had,I think,back to him.

Why didn't I like it?The taste was far too aggresive for me, I don't know how else to describe it.

Carolyn
Aggressive? Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued in a good way.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Aggressive? Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued in a good way.
Way tart in my book and I mean way tart.

Oh I am excited about growing okra.
I hope I can get a good crop.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mat Su Express is one that I'm excited about growing. I have some seedlings that ready to be potted up tomorrow. Being that the seeds are from AK and I'm going to try growing it in TX.

Good luck with the okra, I'm going to stubbornly plant some Clemson spineless - even though it is the food of choice for RKN.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #36
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Way tart in my book and I mean way tart.

Oh I am excited about growing okra.
I hope I can get a good crop.

Worth
Yeah, Okra .How did I forget that one. For 4 years I was banned by bad weather in PNW.
Worth, which variety you like best ? All I can find at BBS is Clemson's (spineless ?) . They get tough before you get a chance to pick them. I used to grow them a lot in Atlanta.
And back to growing lots of peppers to , from sweet to mild and to wild.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Yeah, Okra .How did I forget that one. For 4 years I was banned by bad weather in PNW.
Worth, which variety you like best ? All I can find at BBS is Clemson's (spineless ?) . They get tough before you get a chance to pick them. I used to grow them a lot in Atlanta.
And back to growing lots of peppers to , from sweet to mild and to wild.

I used to grow Louisiana green velvet but this year I am going to grow cow horn and long pod green.
Heard Becks Big Buck was good too.

Open-pollinated. When Malcolm and Delphine Beck bought their farm in 1968 in Comal County, TX, they found in the abandoned garden giant okra stalks with the fattest pods they’d ever seen. They saved and replanted the seed, and it grew big fluted remarkably tender delicious green pods in abundance on sturdy plants. They called it the snapping okra because it snaps so easily off the plants when it is ready to harvest. Though not adapted to our climate, Beck’s will produce even in central Maine in an average growing season.

Cant stand Clemson's spineless.

Last edited by Worth1; January 29, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #38
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I picked up a few varieties of spinach at the local seed swap yesterday. All the micro green discussions are making me crave something green. I'm hoping to make use of some of the shady areas on my north side garden.

Captain Lucky is on my radar this year too. Have a long way to go till mater starting time, save for the few early ones I grow in a cake frosting bucket and carry into the garage at night.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #39
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I am excited to taste those reliables, Chapman, Delicious, BW, Yellow BW, KBX, Rebel Yell, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and some of our crosses.

Hey, I have an idea, let's blame Cole if Mat-Su Express sucks, he was a promoter. LOL We shouldn't have to go there though. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #40
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I'm excited for the following. Last year being the first major time attempting tomatoes from seed i lost about half of what i was excited to try. Some i will attempt again, others are new. I have some new 50W LED grow lights that i didn't have last year. So far my winter test seedlings are much more darker green and Very healthy, so i think tomato seedlings in spring will be no problem this time.

Magnus - as a seedling last year was my most vigorous. The potato leaves were huge. Excited to try this one again. Reported to have a much higher out-crossing rate which is what i want.

Solanum galapagense - excited for the little orange hairy fruits. Grew one S. cheesmaniae last year that wasn't bad. Interested to see the differences.

1 accession of S. cheesmaniae reported as having brown fruits. 1 reported as having red fruits (perhaps mis-identified?).

Orange Peach - orange hairy fruits sound cool. Good vigorous seedlings last year. here's to trying again.

Various promiscuously pollinated diploid TPS potatos.

Purple Smudge - excited because apparently this has S. peruvianum heritage. Looking forward to trying to backcross to S. peruvianum since apparently they are hard to cross to domestic tomatoes. Who knows this variety might be more easily crossable because of it's heritage.

Solanum habrochaites and S. peruvianum

Turkish striped monastery

various orange tangerine types and crimson types.

various wild boar farms tomatoes.

1 accession of S. lycopersicon as having brown and/or anthocyanin anthers. Hopefully it turns out true.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #41
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'm sorry you didn't like Lucinda. I absolutely love anything with lacy leaves (have grown Carrot-like) and can survive the tartness If all else fails, the fruits can be roasted or pickled.

Perhaps green maters will get less attention from birds: Azoychka and Sophie's Choice were constantly under attack last year, as 'flying friends' wanted to peck the ripening fruits.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #42
neilsc
Tomatovillian™

I'm most excited by Barlow's Best Black - which is highly recommended by Camochef.
neilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #43
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Come visit me. I just ate a Captain Lucky that was so good it made my toes curl. It's the pappy of our KARMAs.
If you find a grey haired old lady curled up asleep in amongst your tomato plants, sleeping with a tomato smeared face, don't call the police, it's just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I am excited to taste those reliables, Chapman, Delicious, BW, Yellow BW, KBX, Rebel Yell, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and some of our crosses.

Hey, I have an idea, let's blame Cole if Mat-Su Express sucks, he was a promoter. LOL We shouldn't have to go there though. lol
I am awaiting the further collection/increase of seeds for this one, sounds excellent!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #44
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to see how my first ever Dwarf tomato will do. Plan is to grow them on windowsill.

Gayla noted on her interesting blog that name sounds Tolkien-like, so can't wait to see fruits.

http://yougrowgirl.com/hahms-gelbe-topftomate/

Being a J.R.R. Tolkien fan for many years I already imagined bearded cherry tomatoes wielding battle-axes above plant top.

Last edited by javafxnoob; January 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
javafxnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #45
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

(Perhaps green maters will get less attention from birds: Azoychka and Sophie's Choice were constantly under attack last year, as 'flying friends' wanted to peck the ripening fruits.)

My albino strawberries are never bothered by the animals.

(Being a J.R.R. Tolkien fan for many years I already imagined bearded cherry tomatoes wielding battle-axes above plant top.)

That would make a great avatar! Even Imp would be jealous!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote