Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 10, 2007   #1
macmanmatty
Tomatovillian™

Default Curly top or somthing else?

Over the past few weeks my tomatoes have gotten some pretty bad leaf curl. At first I thought it was just common leaf roll that tomatoes get as it started at the bottom of the plants and top kept growing for a little while, but then then they started curling too and now most of my plants look stunted and some all of the leaves are deformed or curled up. Is this curly top??

Here are some pics

Sad looking bordo

Really bad cherokee purple

Does my county agent have this??

Hungarian Giant

I have many other plants that range from perfectly healthy to the condition of the sad bordo and seen the beat leafhoppers on myplants and hope this isn't curly top becuase I will have to chuck the plants right? Or can I wait for the fruit to ripen? If it does ripen can save seeds? Or is curly top seed born?
Any help in determining my problem and what do about it would greatly appreacted

Thanks

Macmanmatty
macmanmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #2
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn or someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that curly top is found out West, not in Florida (please not another virus here ). Florida's bad virus is Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl, but your pictures don't look like that and it is found in the new growth, not in the older leaves.

About 80 percent of my plants are starting to show signs of TYLCV, but at this point I am getting sick of tomatoes and most people at work run from me when I come in with a bag filled with the ones I know I won't eat before they go bad. I will be pulling all of my plants by the middle of July to give time for the whiteflies that have the virus a chance to die before I put out new plants in Sept.

So, to get back on track, I guess I don't know what you have. I haven't had that problem yet.

Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote