Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 3, 2010   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Bay Laurel - Laurus Nobilis

Bay Laurel - Laurus Nobilis

I have been wanting to get one and I understand this is the one for using the leaves to cook with. They did not have any larger ones and had only six this year so I went ahead and bought one for $5.00 (hope I didn't pay to much for it). The baby tree is about four inches tall. Looking for information about taking care of it. Also any Alabama gardeners growing one got any tips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bayleaf1.JPG (156.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bayleaf2.JPG (159.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg bayleaf3.JPG (126.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by John3; April 4, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey John - a few things I've learned about Bay (we've now had 2 of them....)

In Raleigh, it seemed like a bad choice for permanent outside growing (note "seemed", not seems). We had it in a pot, moved it indoors in the winter. Bay appears to not enjoy being forgotten on the watering rounds, and we lost a plant we had for several years this way.

Last year I decided that since Raleigh seems to have gone zone 7 (when we moved in 17 years ago) to zone 8, we'd give it a shot and plant it outside to see if it made it through the winter. Though it was near the house, our winter was quite cold last year, so it was a good test. And it sailed through and is growing beautifully.

You are warmer than we are, so go for it - find it a good spot outside, keep it well watered - a few friends have them growing and they can get quite large.
Old April 3, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

While commuting weekly out to Santa Clara I noticed beautiful bay used in lnadscaping and brought back a large number of leaves that I used for some time. It wasn't until later that I learned the difference between Laurus Nobilis and the California Bay used in landscaping. Only the Laurus Nobilis, or common bay, is safe to use in cooking. The other has a neurotoxin. Even though I did occasionally use the other for a couple of years, I dooon't thenk it had eny uv thoze log turm uffex.

Trouble is, most people don't go to the effort to read about herbal remedies or consequences. Went to a Chinese herbalist and was given a tea that had a considerable number of ingredients. For several days I drank it regularly after boiling the prescribed hour. It was as bitter, thick, and nasty as anything I ever tasted. Affter a week of the stuff I had to have my gall bladder removed.

Many a nursery, large retailers, and natural/herbal medicine stores sell all manner of herbs and herbal pills, extracts and teas...study the side effects.

Just because pennyroyal is sold among sweet mints and culinary herbs distributed by Bonnie Plant Farms does NOT mean it is safe...especially for children and pregnant women.

Bought a bundle of yellow root at one local market and drank some tea made from them; it DID lower the BP...dangerously so. Trouble is, you don't ever really know how much of the active ingredient you are getting. Ephedra is infamous as one case of a dangerous herb.

Not trying to seem an alarmist, but KNOW about the herbs you use, and be sure to use the right one and the right amount. I tiny bit of cherry bark will stop a cough instantly and make a delicious tea, too much WILL kill you. Just because it is natural doesn't make it safe. A small bit of passion flower leaf will help you sleep, too much and you sleep a LONG time.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #4
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Bay is great but I have to grow it indoors up here and it is prone to scale. I use the leaves in soups and stews.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #5
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Craig - was that bay in a pot or in the ground? I brought mine out of the garage 10 days ago & need to re-pot. Would be so nice to leave it outside.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

Craig thanks for the planting into the ground information. How tall was yours when you planted it? What I have read says they like their water - on the plant tag it says don't overwater. Any tips on watering and any information about heavy rains for several days. I haven't found any information on how to clip the leaves off (where I bought the plant said wait until next year as it is very small). I guess I mean where at on the plant do you clip the leaves as not to hurt the plant. And can the leaves be clipped during winter months or should I clip leaves during summer months dry and/or freeze? I was thinking of freezing some leaves for winter use and wondering if they should be put into olive oil and frozen and if this is a way to go for freezing what kind of containers should be used for about 4 or 5 leaves( as I don't think they will fit into an ice cube tray?

Menspace thanks for the tip.

akgardengirl how do you get rid of scale?
Old April 3, 2010   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them outside at both places I've lived in Columbia, and they do quite well. What you paid for yours seems to be about standard, although I've seen them for a lot more.

Once they're established, I find benign neglect the best course of action. I've grown them in full but light shade and full sun. They are somewhat slow growers, so it might be several years before you can get more than a couple of leaves off of your plant. Once they get some size, I cut a branch and dry all the leaves on that branch. It's not a delicate herb like basil, and dried leaves retain their flavor very well. You can also pick a few leaves here and there for fresh use with no problems.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2010   #8
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
I've grown them outside at both places I've lived in Columbia, and they do quite well. What you paid for yours seems to be about standard, although I've seen them for a lot more.

Once they're established, I find benign neglect the best course of action. I've grown them in full but light shade and full sun. They are somewhat slow growers, so it might be several years before you can get more than a couple of leaves off of your plant. Once they get some size, I cut a branch and dry all the leaves on that branch. It's not a delicate herb like basil, and dried leaves retain their flavor very well. You can also pick a few leaves here and there for fresh use with no problems.
Thanks Blueaussi
Old April 29, 2010   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Update on the Bay Leaf yep a slow grower. Getting ready to pot up into bigger container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay leaf 1.JPG (178.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by John3; April 30, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old May 6, 2010   #10
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

I grew them in my herb bed close to our house (0.5 meter from west side wall), they get lots of sun all year round (even during winter). During winter 2008, they received -17C and surprisingly they survived ! This winter (2009) they received -14C and survived too!
My conclusion is, they should grow well (outdoor) for you, but just to be safe, don't let them received severe winter in their first year! Grow them in 10 lt pots (can be bigger too) for the first year and plant them to their permanent spot at their second year.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #11
VORTREKER
Tomatovillian™

John3,
$5.00 is a good price
You are in a marginal area for outside growth.
It is a slow grower-especially at first
It is worth the effort.
Mulch heavily in a protected area--(South side of house or masonry wall) for winter protection.
Go for it--I have grown it for years Dothan, Al area
VORTREKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I love mine so do the deer the caterpillers the bugs and everything else.
You might say it is automaticly pruned.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010   #13
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

dont confuse with california bay laurel Umbellularia californica

333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote