Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 6, 2018   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default I have a bat!

I know bats are not pests (unless they get in the attic), but this seemed like the forum to post about a new critter.

There are no bats in the area where I live, period. No one I've spoken to (up to 83 year old) has ever seen a bat here on the avalon. I have seen bats in the Bonavista area where I used to spend summers with my grandmother, and there are bats in White Bay where my mom is from, but not around here.

A couple of weeks ago the dregs of TS Gordon blew through here with very warm, thundery, wet and windy weather. I first sighted the bat just after Gordon blew through. Thought it was a bird first, just at dusk, but flying back and forth so strangely I had to stop and take a closer look. It was close to the house and on one of the passes flew straight toward me standing in the window and I could see the little ears! And then I knew it was a bat.
I have sighted the creature twice since then, always at dusk on a warm day and flitting around near the house and over the garden. There are lots of moths and other insects here so I'm sure little bat is getting a good feed. Today I was out prepping a bed on the other side of the house and looking around for wherever a bat would roost, sure enough there is a small hole in the eave on one corner, which I reckon is where little bat is living.
I am not too worried about letting it winter over inside the eave of the house, which at least is better than having them in the attic. But if it stays on, or multiplies (or finds other stray bats to bring home!) I guess we will have to move them out of it.
Anyway it is a very strange thing to suddenly have a bat.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote