Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 9, 2018   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

All the ideal things that a great broccoli should be seems to describe my experiences with Coronado Crown. The main head was huge and very tightly beaded with very small beads. It was incredibly slow to bolt even in our very hot temps. The side shoot production was absolutely amazing. It not only made lots of side shoots but the first few would be huge some up to 5 inches across while most others struggle to make shoots half that size. It was about a week later than Gypsy so it did have that one slight downside. I still can't figure out why they stopped producing it; but if they ever bring it back I will be ordering it right away and I'll order enough seeds to last a few years just in case they stop offering it again.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I still can't figure out why they stopped producing it; but if they ever bring it back I will be ordering it right away and I'll order enough seeds to last a few years just in case they stop offering it again.
It sounds like a wonderful broccoli! I wonder if the patent holder changed the name and it's being sold as something else. I notice they do that with tomatoes and peppers all the time.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

In the fall I had some Arcadia plants and did not like them at all. They produced small main heads and then they got frozen by the cold. Since I had the seed I tried them again in the spring and they still didn't make much in the way of a good main head but the side shoot production is pretty amazing. Several of the first side shoots were larger then the main heads and they produce a lot of side shoots. I may have to give it another chance next year and hope for better weather.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote