Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 28, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 28 August 2015 Bartlett Pear Ripening

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%20...Ripening/HTML/ 28 August 2015 Bartlett Pear Ripening
Pears,Bartlett, picked your own, from the Niagara Peninsula today for 25 dollars.
The pears in this picture are all “green,” even the two in the third quadrant, which got a “suntan” so it has a rosy spot.The pears are all hard.
Fruit produces a natural ethylene gas, which causes it to ripen. The riper it gets, the more gas it gives off, which will cause the other fruit around it to ripen too.So to ripen pears, you should enclose them so this gas will be trapped around the fruit.I place a thick towel over the basket and put the bushel in a relatively cool place in the house.To tell if they are ripe, just gently press with a finger near the stem, on the pear’s “shoulder.” A ripe pear will give a little. Check daily since pears can over ripen quickly.
http://www.mynewoldschool.com/2009/0...ipening-pears/ Article
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2015   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Here’s what you need to do to ripen your pears:
  • Leave firm, unripe pears at room temperature so that they can ripen.
  • Check the Neck for Ripeness daily, by applying gentle pressure to the neck, or stem end, of the pear with your thumb. If it yields to pressure, then it’s ripe and ready to eat!
  • Once the pear is ripe, it can be refrigerated to slow the ripening process and saved for use up to five days later.
http://usapears.org/pear-ripening-and-handling/
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #3
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

My pears are nearing peak maturity a little late this year. But, with this variety I like to let them get a little past maturity for more flavorful fruit.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My Ambrosia is producing in abundance for the first time, this year. I expected ripening in September, but it came early. Also, when ripe there is basically no give to the flesh, compared to other varieties I've tried.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2015   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've never met a Bartlett pear that I considered sweet. Bosc, Comice, D'Anjou, Seckel, Ambrosia, Forelle, and many many more, those are sweet pears, to me.
Old September 3, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Looking at all those ripening pears makes me want to try and make some more Pear Butter Jelly. Good stuff.

I miss pears. I don't know what kind they grow down here, but they sure are not like the ones we had home up North. These down here you could do some serious damage if you get hit with one.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2015   #7
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I've never met a Bartlett pear that I considered sweet. Bosc, Comice, D'Anjou, Seckel, Ambrosia, Forelle, and many many more, those are sweet pears, to me.
I don't know what variety I have as I found the original old tree on an old abandoned home place years ago. I tasted the fruit pilling up under the tree and declared it to be the best juiciest fruit of any kind I had ever tasted! I went back the following spring and got a scion and grafted me a tree. After that tree now 30+ years old came into production, I liked it so well I grafted 3 more. One year the juice was 17 brix, and I just know I've had sweeter since!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2015   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Any chance you can graft a few more?
Old September 4, 2015   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Durgan. I would like my pears to ripen on the tree, but if I leave them for too long, the raccoons will eat them ALL!!!!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote