Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 7, 2011   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default Its about time. Getting ready to plant snap peas.

Well folks it is time to get in the garden and dig.And since I grow other things besides maters I thought starting here with snap peas would be good. The variety in question is Lacy Lady 2. It is one of the semi leafless dwarf varieties. Staking is not required and I double row them. Pods are average size and good flavor and if well tended they will bare in to mid summer.My seeds are a couple years old but I think they will do ok.

Also I am seriously thinking about saving seeds this year as it seems nobody sells this variety anymore.So I may just go ahead and plant some for seed production so I can have fresh seed next year.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I love fresh peas, any kind of peas. I grow them in containers now to economize on space in the garden for other stuff, peas do love containers. For snap peas, I'm growing Sugar Ann again this year, did real well last year.
Pea seeds can remain viable for years, so you should be fine.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Kevin,

Just starting snap peas, now?
What's your climate like?

Here in MA, peas go in as soon as the ground thaws, usually early April.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #4
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Well rain has been an issue not to mention up till now it has been a little to chilly for me.Plus I gotta borrow a shovel from the neighbor.So things are going to speed up here soon.

Kevin
Old May 7, 2011   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I started my peas in the beginning of April, pre-sprouted the seed indoors (took about 4 days), then planted the sprouts in the containers outdoors. It was so cold in April that even germinated peas weren't too excited about coming out of the soil. They took their sweet time but now they are about 3 inches tall and growing fast.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i thought it is a late start also. i started super sugar snap around 3/30 inside and put them out around 4/9. it's been cold, cloudy and wet so they haven't grown as much as i expected. they are about 6-8" tall now and were 2-3" as transplants. peas are kind of a waste here. by the time the plants grow and start to produce peas it's late june and HOT. by mid july or the 4th of july the plants are dying from the heat. i grow them every year but the season is short. super sugar snap produces so heavy that i get a lot of peas from 20 or 30 plants.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #7
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

I get some good results from Lacy Lady 2 also. As long as I keep them picked and they get enough water they do ok.I think they are a little more heat tolerant than others.Also less leaves seem to give them better production.

Kevin
Old May 14, 2011   #8
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

We have a rain delay taking shape on Sunday. If it decides not to rain when I want to be out digging then maybe I will get the next bed dug up. But the pea and bean bed is ready to go as soon as it drys out a little.

Kevin