Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 27, 2007   #16
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

All Creatures Great and Small is my all-time favorite television show. Are the Yorkshire dales still pretty much untouched, as shown in the tv show? Or has the modern world crept in with strip malls and sprawl? I should like to think that there are still stone fences and Dalesfolk scratching out an existence up there. My wife and I want to take a holiday there some day, but I would be very sad if it was all changed.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #17
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Hi- No the yorkshire dales have not changed much-If at all ) in the last century or so, the only changes that are apparent are in the big yorkshire towns like sheffield, York, etc, which have expanded outwards a bit- but otherwise they are still very rural and wild,- a bit bleak in the winter though.

I have actually been to the area where all the series of All Creatures great and small was made, and got lost twice, but I eventually found it, the village where it all took place has a big shop window in the middle of the village-in which is that rickety old car that james herriot used to drive round in-is displayed, all polished up and shiny as a show piece.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Well I'll be gobsmacked! I remember seeing that car in a village window when I too got lost cycling through Yorkshire. Small world indeed.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #19
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Feldon- must get back on track again- yes indeed, I would love to meet you all - and might well make it to the convention in june- if I can get a reliable tomato plant sitter- Usually my daughter-well trained- in the arts of tomato care and culture- to come in and house sit for the duration, - but I must admitt that I still worry a lot whilst I am away- about my precious tomato plants, and phone her almost every day for an update, and to give any advice nesessary on ventilation and temp control etc.
Old January 28, 2007   #20
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Mireille,

TomatoFest is the one seed company I would NEVER order from again. I've talked about this before when most of us TVers were still at GW.

In short: aside from the absolutely horrible packaging which caused damage to the seed packets, most of the varieties I received were crossed or incorrect. Mule Team, Martino's Roma and Tadesse were certainly incorrect.

Curious: why are you seeking out so many varieties so fast? You'll need to do your homework to identify right and wrong varieties if you are planning to trade or sell seeds in the future.

Jennifer, chuffed about being upright again
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #21
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

I have placed two orders with Tomato Fest this year with very fast service, quick reply to questions, and great packing when shipped. Guess I will see this summer about how true the varieties grow. Beem impressed so far. In fact of the many vendors I've used this year Baker Creek is the only one I would hesitate to order from again. There are several reasons for this. Different experiences for each of us. Best of luck with your garden in 07.
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #22
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Tomato Fest the first year I had a garden. They were fast, well packaged, and all 10 grew true to form. I haven't ordered from them since discovering TGS, however. I have to say that the renaming they do is a real peeve and keeps me from ordering from them again.

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #23
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgarden
I have to say that the renaming they do is a real peeve
and keeps me from ordering from them again.

Kurt
Kurt,

I was thinkin' it would be a hoot
if someone were to take
some of those renamed tomatoes
and rename them again.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #24
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

PV

Perhaps rename Sunset's Red Horizon to "Rostova-AKA Ibsen's Folly".

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #25
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I think Tomatofest underwent a very bad period just before the beginning of last year- because of severe health problems and injury to the owner, who probably limped by on a skeleton staff for a short period at the critical time of the year when seed sorting and sending out was at a premium,

However- in all faimess- the owner (Gary) has made a supreme effort to resolve the previous years issues, and has recovered in health enough and took control of the whole situation and put things right to their former quality service and quality goods.as far as I can tell from what others have told me.

No one can help bad health issues as it can strike at any time, therefore I feel he deserves the full benefit of the doubt and continued support from customers loyalties.
Old February 1, 2007   #26
crazytomato
Tomatovillian™

He michael,you never spoke about scottish,welsh or even mentioned gaelic,but ofcourse that are languages(french word).Got some irish friends here in the place i life,they are hard to understand.I am used to it but for an outstander it is hard.I dont know what is harder to understand an irish speaking english or gaelic.
crazytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #27
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Crazytomato- the funniest thing I ever saw in my life was a man in scotland in a pub whilst traveling through once.
He was a dark black man - with bright ginger hair-(which he swore wasn't dyed) and wore a scotch kilt and tamoshanter hat, and talked with a broad scottish accent -like och aye the new, or something like that, he was the most combination mixture of various different races and dress I have ever seen, I was absolutely fascinated by all this -and could hardly drink my beer whilst thinking-this was an anthropologists dream.