Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2018   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default Mystery Tomatoes!

I bought six seedlings from Tomatomania this season, the first time I've ever bought from them. One of them was supposed to be the famously popular Sungold cherry tomatoes, a true, deep yellow-gold cherry tomato.

Wouldn't you know, they are starting to come in and instead of Sungolds, they are classic, deep red cherry tomatoes. Darn! I'm a day or so away from picking the first handful so I don't know how they'll taste, but they are definitely not Sungolds at least from the looks of them.

Last edited by EarlyBird; June 22, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I don't suppose you could get your money back, as Sungolds are hybrids and not your usual red cherry type? At least take a pic and complain. It's a shame as SGs are so good. You can sometimes find them in the 6-packs HD carries, where you get 6 different tomato varieties. And of course individually, at many nurseries.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #3
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I think I'll do that, just to make them aware that they may have an inventory labeling problem. It may have been a one-in-a-thousand kind of thing, or this might have been a wider problem for them.

Nonetheless, in the grand scheme of things, it ain't much. I'll just enjoy the little toms and might be very happily surprised.

Last edited by EarlyBird; June 21, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old June 21, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

All to say, Tomatomania is NOT what it used to be, and no I'm not from CA, but b'c I was asked to do some talks out there on heirloom tomatoes,I get e-mails each season which will say something like

Tomatomania in Long Beach will be held on...

Tomatomania in wherever, I delete those e-mails will be held...

Found this

https://www.google.com/search?q=Orig...&bih=815&dpr=1

And yes it was at the Hortus Nursery where I was asked to give those talks,and after that I went back outside with shelter and had a stack of my Tomato heirloom books that they provided, they wanted their customers to be able to get an autographed copy.

And then who stops by but Tom Wagner who had driven down from Bakersfield where he was at the time, and he started talking to me, got a chair and sat down next to me as I'm trying to autograph books, and they had a huge jug of cold freshly made Lemonade on the table as well.

Tom started talking and talking and talking, and yes,I'd known him many years before that via phone and e-mails,but it was the first time I'd ever met him.

Ah,memories.

Carolyn
Old June 22, 2018   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I saw sungold seeds and the picture on the packet showed tomatoes that were more red than yellow.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #6
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

I was expecting the orange colored ones, and I got the red ones. Nor do mine grow in the long string, but are scattered all over the plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sungold Toms.jpg (30.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry Toms.jpg (4.6 KB, 45 views)