Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 10, 2011   #1
bonefish
Tomatovillian™

Default new from Texas

What a great site! I've been roaming around here for the last month or so but this is my first post. I've got 4 earthtainers with two tomato plants in each and some are doing great and some not so great. It get real hot in Houston and I'm sure that has an effect on them. We're already hitting over 90 some days. I'm growing Rose, Amber Colored, Egyptian, Bush Beefsteak, Aussie and Homesstead 24. The plants in the earthtainers are hugh; over 6' tall and still growing. The ones I planted in pots are about half that size. I've attached a couple of pictures. One of a bowl of cherrys and amber colored and a couple of the plants; one taken today and one when ther were getting started. After the season I'll let you know which ones did the best. If anyone has any suggestions on which grow best in hot weather, i'd love to try them next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (151.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 687.jpg (257.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 651.jpg (248.5 KB, 71 views)
bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Welcome! I think we've tripled our Texas contingent in the last 6 months.

What date did you plant?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #3
bonefish
Tomatovillian™

I took them outside around the middle of Feb. (1st picture) and probably put them in the earthtainers the first or second week of March (2nd picture). I think next year I'll start earlier and keep them in pots that I can bring in for a freeze and put them in the ground the last week of Feb. or first week of March.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 635.jpg (221.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 636.jpg (241.7 KB, 53 views)
Old May 10, 2011   #4
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from the metroplex. I was amused to see you had a bag in the first picture of the "Hapi-Gro" mulch. Lowes carries that up here too. A product of our neighbor to the NE, the Natural State. I use it also, although sometimes it has a bit much heartwood which has the highest C-N ratio of all of the tree. It is cost-effective though, and saves on the water for sure.

Nice pictures.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011   #5
waterman1971
Tomatovillian™

Great looking tomato plants.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011   #6
frankkj
Tomatovillian™

Waterman:
Love the chair in the photo. Don't tell me you sit there and watch them grow.

Frank
Old May 12, 2011   #7
bonefish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankkj View Post
Waterman:
Love the chair in the photo. Don't tell me you sit there and watch them grow.

Frank
Of course not. Thats crazy. I was just giving them all names. Actually I sit there while I'm filling up the earthtainers with water.
Old July 10, 2011   #8
sballtx
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bonefish, I am also new and in Houston. I am looking forward to growing alongside other people from around here. I am also new to growing tomatoes, so I am curious to see which varieties do well here. I don't see how ANYTHING grows here, quite frankly!
sballtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #9
sballtx
Tomatovillian™

beautiful looking plants, by the way!
sballtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sballtx View Post
Hi Bonefish, I am also new and in Houston. I am looking forward to growing alongside other people from around here. I am also new to growing tomatoes, so I am curious to see which varieties do well here. I don't see how ANYTHING grows here, quite frankly!
Timing (and blankets/sheets/protective row cover) is everything. Think like a New England or Canada tomato grower with an extremely short season and you'll get it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote