Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 3, 2011   #1
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Default burying/sinking earthtainer in the ground

I have question about how deep should I burying/sink the earthainer? The beds are raised and surrounded by limestone. I know the totes should be level. No rocks or debris under the tote. How do I keep the overflow from being blocked? Should I use pea gravel underneath or flat bricks? Here is a image of what being done so far.

Thanks,

Mary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01525-20110403-0917.jpg (65.3 KB, 56 views)
vintagepatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Use what they call a french drain.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #3
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks worth 1. I wasn't sure if that would work with the flooding rains we get in Texas. I was afraid that the loose soil would go seep beyond the gravel and still block the holes.

Mary
Old April 3, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Mary,

I certainly understand the "look" you are trying to accomplish by having the container walls hidden. You will be challenged to keep surrounding groundwater and dirt from seeping into the overflow hole when buried. As Worth says, a french drain approach may be your best option. I would also slope the area surrounding the EarthTainer away from it so that rainfall disperses elsewhere. I would then surround the top of the EarthTainer with a 2 foot circumference of plastic to guide water away.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #5
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earthtainer Maestro. It's not just the look. It's the deer,wind and sun. We are in the hill country area and on a hill. This area is on the south and southwest side of the house. The house dog legs out and has more protection. Sometime later we will be putting up a fence in the yard to help with the deer problem. I am willing to dig out all the dirt if necessary. We are on all rainwater at our home. So obviously any system that conserves water for us is helpful. My husband is working on number 5 'Tainer as we speak. 10 bucket system were finished yesterday. Off to Lowe's this week to buy more. Can you ever have too many 'tainers?

Mary
Old April 3, 2011   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You’re more than welcome Mary.
If you so desire you can get 40 gallon feed tubs from tractor supply.
I did and filled them with clay and rotted leaf muck.
They have no holes and they stay wet I grow elephant ears in them with almost no water usage.AND it doesnt stink
I only use organic fertilizer so there is no salt build up or at least very little.

What side of Austin do you live on the north, west, east or south.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Mary,

After looking at your photo more closely, a couple of recommendations.

I see that your "builder" used 4 bolts to attach the Aeration Bench to the outer container, rather than the 2 bolts as per the Construction Guide. I did a "stress test" when doing the new design with NO BOLTS and filled the test Aeration Bench (without holes) to a 175 pounds of dead weight water:

I also did the same test with the recommended 2 bolts (bottom one in the picture):

The placement of the 2 bolts was carefully selected to keep as much of an air gap around the walls of both containers, for best aeration:

By placing the 4 bolts where you did, it compresses the side walls together. Not only does this cut down on the aeration, but the double-hull effect is compromised in trying to keep the Sun's warmth isolated like a thermos bottle. If your "builder" is absolutely convinced he must have 4 bolts, then have him place the other 2 new ones under the handles where the surfaces are flush with each other.

Next, I notice the rim of the wicking basket is ABOVE the Aeration Bench. It needs to be installed below the Aeration Bench so when you fill the wicking basket mounding it up 1 to 2 inches, then lay the Landscape Fabric on top, there will be no air gap that will be caused by the wicking basket protruding above the Aeration Bench as shown in your photo.

Sorry to be a "Drill Sergeant" on this stuff, but I want you to be a Happy Camper in harvesting a lot of vegetables later this Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote