Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 23, 2013   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Lets talk Salsa!

I wanted to pass on a couple of steps in making salsa that can make a huge difference in the quality of the end product.

I HATE runny salsa…Salsa should cling to a chip without plopping in your lap before you get it to your mouth. That said, I have developed a method that leaves your salsa much thicker and richer without requiring much cooking down.

I remove the skins, remove the seeds and chop my tomatoes. I then place the tomatoes in a large colander atop a bowl or kettle and go away and leave it for about 6 hours. You will be amazed how much liquid comes out of those chopped tomatoes. You will have more liquid than I do as the tomatoes I use are much, much drier, have fewer seeds and hardly any gel fraction.

The recipe I use calls for tomato paste and tomato sauce. I add my other ingredients, cippolini onions, sweet peppers, hot peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, cumin & lime juice and bring that to a boil. I let it boil for 10 minutes. Then I add the tomatoes and the cilantro, mixing well and fill my jars. Cooking the tomatoes less contributes to a chunkier and thicker salsa. My recipe calls for 10 minutes in the canner.

I have also switched to growing and using the pepper “Santa Fe Grande” exclusively in my salsa. This is a terrific pepper. Lush, 2-3 foot plants just covered with 3 to 4” long peppers that go from creamy green color to banana yellow (and eventually to orange then red.) These are a little less hot than jalapenos but than means you can add a few more and the yellow, red and orange colors contribute to a beautiful salsa. I also add the hotter, larger yellow “volcano pepper” to a batch for my Son and habanero’s to a batch for a friend who has no taste buds left at all! Whatever pepper you use is fine.
Anyway, that’s my salsa hints for the day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 957cf2.jpg (151.2 KB, 330 views)
Old August 23, 2013   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Some great tips!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #3
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Sounds quite tasty.
Old August 23, 2013   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I think what we make is really called pico de gallo. I am not sure. Do you have to cook salsa? What is the difference?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #5
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

I bought one Santa Fe Grande from Home Depot. They haven't produced any peppers yet but getting close.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I think what we make is really called pico de gallo. I am not sure. Do you have to cook salsa? What is the difference?
I am talking about salsa for canning, not fresh.
Old August 24, 2013   #7
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

do you have a picture to share of your final product? great instructions.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #8
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

Do you have an exact recipe you could post? I tried a few recipes last year that I did not like, still looking for the perfect salsa. Thanks for tips too!
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissyb View Post
Do you have an exact recipe you could post? I tried a few recipes last year that I did not like, still looking for the perfect salsa. Thanks for tips too!
Salsa
8 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, chopped and drained in colander for 6 hours.
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
3 -5 peppers of your choice
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup sea salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup lime juice
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients except tomatoes and cilantro, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cilantro pour into hot jars, water bath canner for 15 minutes for pints. I am at sea level.
Makes 6 pints

Up to 1000 ft. Processing time is 15 minutes.
1001 - 3000 ft. Increase processing time an extra 5 minutes to 20 minutes total.
3001 - 6000 ft. Increase processing time an extra 10 minutes to 25 minutes total.
6001 - 8000 ft. Increase processing time an extra 15 minutes to 30 minutes total.
8001 - 10,000 ft. Increase processing time an extra 20 minutes to 35 minutes total.
Old August 24, 2013   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

That recipe looks great! Thank you.

I grew Santa Fe Grande for the first time this year and it's now my favourite pepper. Just the right amount of heat, and consistently so, it seems. Gorgeous colour and very tasty whether yellow or red. And really pumping out the peppers.

I made fresh salsa with them last night again, they are perfect for it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #11
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

It is now my favorite too! I have never grown a pepper that produces so well. I agree about the heat...I like spicy but not so hot you can't taste the food. They are also fabulous stir fried. I pickled some and they were quite tasty. I do a pickling solution that has no water so you don't have to do them in the canner and they stay crisp.
Old August 24, 2013   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
It is now my favorite too! I have never grown a pepper that produces so well. I agree about the heat...I like spicy but not so hot you can't taste the food. They are also fabulous stir fried. I pickled some and they were quite tasty. I do a pickling solution that has no water so you don't have to do them in the canner and they stay crisp.
I've tried the same for a crisp pickle, but still experimenting with salt vs sugar amounts in the brine.. So far I've been happier with the sweeter vs saltier pickled pepper.. what do you think?
Old August 24, 2013   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

I should mention another pepper I'm growing this year which is great in salsa or stir fry, is Alma. It is a little bit hotter than Santa Fe but not enough to numb your tastebuds, and the pungency doesn't last long cw some peppers burn on and on. Alma has very thick and juicy sweet flesh and the heat is entirely in the pith, but very consistent. It is also very productive, and ripening from white to red, but the down side is, it is not juicy and sweet until it's fully red ripe, so you have to be patient.

I also grow Early Jalapeno, and find the heat really variable. I'll often toss some in the salsa just for that authentic jalapeno taste, but I can't count on them for spiciness. Maybe because of our less sunny growing conditions (but go figure, they are loading up with a second crop out in the garden even now!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alma.JPG (118.5 KB, 286 views)
Old August 24, 2013   #14
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I should mention another pepper I'm growing this year which is great in salsa or stir fry, is Alma. It is a little bit hotter than Santa Fe but not enough to numb your tastebuds, and the pungency doesn't last long cw some peppers burn on and on. Alma has very thick and juicy sweet flesh and the heat is entirely in the pith, but very consistent. It is also very productive, and ripening from white to red, but the down side is, it is not juicy and sweet until it's fully red ripe, so you have to be patient.

I also grow Early Jalapeno, and find the heat really variable. I'll often toss some in the salsa just for that authentic jalapeno taste, but I can't count on them for spiciness. Maybe because of our less sunny growing conditions (but go figure, they are loading up with a second crop out in the garden even now!).
I prefer the sweeter brine as well. I also tried Fajita Bell this year...Cross between jalapeno and Bell pepper. It is really flavorfull. I wish it was larger. I stuffed them with cream cheese, crab meat, etc and they were a hit.

I only make fermented pickles anymore...It is the only way I got consistently crisp pickles. I soak them in cold water and drain about 4 times to suck out all the salt. They are just like the old-fashioned brined pickles we ate as kids.

I do Greek & Italian pepperoncini too. Those are some of my favorites pickled.
Old August 24, 2013   #15
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried the internet famous Annie's Salsa? It's our favorite.

I'll definitely be looking for those peppers. Sound like a good type for hot pepper jelly too.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote