Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 26, 2007   #1
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Default Bean Tower

Has anyone used the bean towers sold by places like Gurneys or Henry Fields:

Quote:
Sturdy 6-foot, galvanized tower assembles in minutes, supports at least 12 plants. Keep your beans up off the ground, so they stay clean through the hardest rains. Makes harvesting easy, too. Tower folds for storage. Economical--can be used year after year.

I know that I could make my own...but with $25 coupon from either company...the cost of two of these towers with shipping and handling and tax would be $22 each.
Old February 26, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

If you're talking about the round ones where you run your own string around, yes, I've used them. They work just fine. I got tired of the string business so this year I'm trying some folding square ones that are really just two square tomato cages attached to one another. This square kind takes up less space in storage. The round kind did just fine for me though. If you have the coupon, give it a try.
Old February 26, 2007   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Michele:

Glad to hear you liked them...and I have seen the sqaure cage one somewhere...and would prefer that one...but wherever it was there was no coupon.

I was at HD looking at stuff to make my own and I thought by the time I got the materials and tried to make one...paying for them would probably be easier.

I will post a of them in use this summer...that is if summer ever comes. I just went out and dealt with more snow and ice
Old February 26, 2007   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I bought one of the round bean towers from Gurney's for my mom years ago, and got it back when she passed away. Both the top and bottom metal circles are bent and warped now and I don't bother taking it apart or storing it. But it is easy to move to a new bed, and I re-use the old strings, just add new ones as the old ones rot away.

From last year:

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2007   #5
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Great picture...and great to hear that they hold up over time. Will place my order soon.

Thanks all...