Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2017   #31
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I need to join the chorus! Please get the tag!

I think one needs something like a minimum of 30% reduction of mobility to get one? At least that's what I remember. A friend of mine had several of her vertebrae fused by surgeries and was in so much pain and could not get one. The doctor has to sign some paper work to get the ball rolling and in her case she was at 28% and her doctor would not sign off.

Rockporter, it is time to be kind to yourself. Don't let those bullies win. Don't have a heart attack b/c of those jerks. Your family needs you here. ((((Hugs))))
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #32
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
Ok, I need to join the chorus! Please get the tag!

I think one needs something like a minimum of 30% reduction of mobility to get one? At least that's what I remember. A friend of mine had several of her vertebrae fused by surgeries and was in so much pain and could not get one. The doctor has to sign some paper work to get the ball rolling and in her case she was at 28% and her doctor would not sign off.

Rockporter, it is time to be kind to yourself. Don't let those bullies win. Don't have a heart attack b/c of those jerks. Your family needs you here. ((((Hugs))))
That is so sad for your friend. Yes, the doctors definitely make the decisions. What really bothers me about your friend is that I know of someone in our area who lost 1/2 of his thumb and has a handicapped plaque (AND HE USES IT!) Makes me so mad, I am appalled that a doctor actually gave him one. So, that would be the abuse of the system, and I can't believe the state allowed it too.

My Rheumatologist asked me years ago if I wanted one. I told her "no" then, because I told her until it was overbearing to handle getting into the store I wanted to be independent. I surely need one now though.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 15, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #33
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

About the thumb our Accident insurance through work pays more for loss of thumb than foot or leg. Thinking about it missing a thumb would stink but can't really see why you can't walk without it. Like everyone else says get one and if people are rude barf on their shoes. ( not really that would not be nice):-)
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #34
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylasue View Post
About the thumb our Accident insurance through work pays more for loss of thumb than foot or leg. Thinking about it missing a thumb would stink but can't really see why you can't walk without it. Like everyone else says get one and if people are rude barf on their shoes. ( not really that would not be nice):-)
LOL, barf on their shoes.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 16, 2017   #35
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I am definitely doing this. I have three qualifiers on this list, and if you add in the feet problems I have then there are four. I can see why my Rhuematologist asked me if I wanted a card years ago since I had the feet issues and three forms of arthritis so many years ago. Yep, I want a card.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/disab...lacards-plates

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 16, 2017   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I still can't wrap my mind around the difference between 28% and 30% disability.
How in hell can a doctor measure that 2% to not give it to them.
What ever the measuring device is I want one.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #37
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I still can't wrap my mind around the difference between 28% and 30% disability.
How in hell can a doctor measure that 2% to not give it to them.
What ever the measuring device is I want one.
Worth
Yes, I am saddened she couldn't get a card. I hope she found another doctor to take care of the issue for her.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 12, 2017   #38
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would update this thread. I did get the card about 2 weeks ago. I have used it twice only. When I went to the doctor and had to walk up the hill, then the stairs and then around the building to get to her office. Now, I parked in the handicapped zone and wasn't hurting or as winded when I signed in. Makes it worth having one, I also wasn't as hot and sweaty from the heat either, because I was closer to the building. No regrets getting it. Haven't used it for anything else yet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 12, 2017   #39
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, I am glad to hear you have it for when you feel like you need it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #40
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It saddens me to come in and update this thread. I wasn't going to but I have more answers now as to why it is so hard to walk and stand for long periods. My xrays came back and showed I have degenerative disk disease in my lumbar spine. My hips are bad too, I knew the right was worse than the left and both are degenerating. So, so, so glad I got that tag now.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old January 22, 2018   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It saddens me to read this. I've been reading your posts, and I knew something was happening to make things worse for you. I'm replying to let you know that I care.

The plaque/plates will come in handy for you when you need to use them. I don't want to go into detail, but our car has disabled plates on it. As I wrote earlier in this thread, use the plaque when you need to. If that means every time - then do so.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #42
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, I'm so sorry!

Now that they know what it is, is there anything they can do about it?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #43
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Therapy can be done to help ease the pain but the problem with that is it is too painful to be touched, lol. I have had therapy before and it did me no good but leave me with lots more pain than I went to the appt with. It is just one more answer to my physical pain I feel all the time. When my Rhuemy asked me when I am without pain, I told her I am never without pain. I don't take pain pills, I have too many issues with pills and am doing the best I can with what I am taking for my heart and lungs right now. I am afraid to add anything to my normal pills now because I am actually doing far better than usual and don't want to mess that up.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old January 29, 2018   #44
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I hear you! I went to a pain clinic but the pain they inflicted on me was worse than what I felt without them.

One thing that helped my pain was eating red seedless grapes every evening. Weird, but the joint pain subsided after about 4 days.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #45
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone, I had an appt with the Rheumy Thursday for a bone density test, and a regular appt to see the Nurse Practitoner on the same day. Thankfully they are both in the same office. To get that bone density test I have to lay flat on my back and not move. She also puts a wedge between your legs and turns your feet inward and straps them down. First, I have never in my life been able to lay flat on my back because of the low back pain I have always had. When it is time to get up I can't move. They have to turn my feet back to position and help me get my right leg bent and then my left leg. Then I have to lay there like that for a bit to get the pain to somewhat subside before I can even begin to try turning on my side to get up. I finally got up and bent over to get my things from the table they were on and my mid back went out. I almost fell down the pain was so bad. So, I had to bend and stretch my back while holding the bone density machines table I had just laid on until I could stand up again. I was in a lot of the pain the rest of the day.

After all that I knew I was expecting to get the Xray results for my thoracic spine area I had done back in February. Often my back locks up in that area, it could be getting out of bed, or if say I am walking out of the kitchen and hit the door of the freezer and cause myself to stop kind of short. My mid back will just lock up and it is quite painful. I have bone spurs on my spine near the thoracic area, but not on the actual mid spine that runs down my whole body, it is the part of the spine that runs down the side of the mid spine. I forgot what the NP told me it was called, and I have never heard of it, and can't find it online to read about it.

Here I thought I had hurt myself in the garden one day. Now I know it wasn't that at all. Therapy might be in order if some at home traction doesn't help to ease the pain. Problem is, they will put me in far more pain doing therapy than I am in now, so I tend to avoid anything like it, lol. I'm just happy to have the answers I have been looking for the last few months. I also understand more about why I have such trouble standing for even short periods of time and walking in numerous stores. So glad I have a husband with empathy, because I don't think I could take another husband who told me I was just a cry baby and hyprochondriac, and "Nothing is wrong with you, it's all in your head". Makes life a whole lot easier for me.

His birthday is next week so he wants to go out for some ribs tonight. I'm all in, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~