Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 23, 2013   #1
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Lowes garden area clearance

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know, if you have a Lowes in your area, you might want to check the garden area for clearance prices on different products. I have two Lowes stores that I frequent and each of them has had different products on clearance. This morning I picked up 5 bottles of Safer brand BT for $1.51 each. These are the 8 oz bottles that were originally $14. They also had some corn gluten meal for around $1, quart spray bottles of fish emulsion for $6 and a quart spray bottle of permethrin for $1.50. YMMV. I think some of the prices will go down more on several of the products. Happy bargain hunting!

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know, if you have a Lowes in your area, you might want to check the garden area for clearance prices on different products. I have two Lowes stores that I frequent and each of them has had different products on clearance. This morning I picked up 5 bottles of Safer brand BT for $1.51 each. These are the 8 oz bottles that were originally $14. They also had some corn gluten meal for around $1, quart spray bottles of fish emulsion for $6 and a quart spray bottle of permethrin for $1.50. YMMV. I think some of the prices will go down more on several of the products. Happy bargain hunting!

Christy
Now (That) is some useful information.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #3
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Now (That) is some useful information.

Worth
I'm glad that's info you can use. Good luck!
Old January 23, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Wowee- thanks, Christy! Will definitely be checking that out this week! I've got 3 of them in different directions from here. Nothin' better than a garden-related bargain.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'd get there tomorrow. My experience has been that sale items go very quickly. I mean if you see something on sale at a Lowes and want to wander around the store to think about it, take it with you. I mean around the store, not outside.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

May be time to break out that old Lowes gift card!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I'll be there at lunch tomorrow. I have one near my work. Thanks!
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

You know you are just enabling the addiction, right Christy?
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2013   #9
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
You know you are just enabling the addiction, right Christy?
-Marsha
Yes, just call me The Great Enabler!
Old January 23, 2013   #10
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Wowee- thanks, Christy! Will definitely be checking that out this week! I've got 3 of them in different directions from here. Nothin' better than a garden-related bargain.

kath
I hope you find something great! I love a good bargain. I feel like I live at Lowes.

Christy
Old January 23, 2013   #11
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Another fun Lowes fact: they sell damaged bags of soil, potting mix, mulch, soil conditioner, etc at a discount. Most of the time I get them half off. Sometimes they bag the damaged items in clear bags with "Lowes recovery bag" stamped on them and stack them with undamaged bags. I've also found ripped/damaged bags on the ground or on the main stack. I've generally had really good luck with compost/soil conditioner. I've never tried the MG-type mixes at the half-off discount. I rarely see those damaged. Ask really nicely and then remember the name of the employee that authorized the discount. I LOVE Lowes!

Christy
Old January 24, 2013   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I got a bag of peat that way. The problem was that after the bag had been torn open it had gotten wet. Do you know how much a big bag of peat weighs when it is wet?
Old January 24, 2013   #13
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I got a bag of peat that way. The problem was that after the bag had been torn open it had gotten wet. Do you know how much a big bag of peat weighs when it is wet?
Yes I do! I picked up a couple of bags of peat for the same reason. I did have an unopened bag by my gate. One of my dogs happily tore a hole for me. I couldn't lift the stupid thing at all. It was also too heavy to drag. I ended up standing my garden cart on end and flipping the peat into it. My dogs watched calmly the entire time. I think they were laughing inside.
Old January 24, 2013   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
Yes I do! I picked up a couple of bags of peat for the same reason. I did have an unopened bag by my gate. One of my dogs happily tore a hole for me. I couldn't lift the stupid thing at all. It was also too heavy to drag. I ended up standing my garden cart on end and flipping the peat into it. My dogs watched calmly the entire time. I think they were laughing inside.
Maybe they were the ones that made it wet.
Old January 24, 2013   #15
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Maybe they were the ones that made it wet.
That would be a definite "no", I hope. They could reach the bag to tear it but not to "wet" it. I had a pile of various bags of compost, mulch, and soil conditioner with the peat under it all and to one side. I think they tried to climb my dirt mountain. They shredded a couple of the bags and made a nice dog bed. They love scratching the soil. They also love stepping on caged tomato plants and digging in my raised beds. Bad dogs!