Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 2, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default OK - Who ate my Margaret Curtain?

Hi,

Well, if it's not one thing it's another this year!!

After a few days of fairly steady rain and cool weather, I finally got out in the garden to take a look at my plants. I noticed one of my two Margaret Curtins leaning towards one side and, on closer inspection, I found that it had been chomped around the soil line. I've never seen this particular damage before. I do have a bamboo skewer about 1/4-1/2" away from the stem so I don't think it would be cutworms. Plus it's not actually cut in half. It sort of looks like the center was sucked out. I didn't see any obvious root or leaf damage (other than the leaves and stem being especially purple - due to the cold, wet weather, I'm assuming). I'm posting a photo of the pulled plant "intact" and one of the plant "dissected" showing horizontal and vertical cuts to the stem.

Any idea who or what the culprit is?

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg margaret curtain chomped 4-2-14.JPG (127.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg margaret curtain dissected 4-2-14.JPG (176.0 KB, 111 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #2
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I think its cut worms. I noticed that with a few of my plants to. Had to super glue a plant because it was barely connected.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

mice will do that too.. buggers.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #4
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium and Karen,

Thanks for the responses.

Did you notice how the root portion and top portion are still connected to one another by vertical strands of some sort of stem structure (may have to magnify the image more to see it). And, the chewed or missing section is fairly long - I'd guess a full inch - like some little critter was sort of sucking/chewing along the stem (like eating corn on the cob).

I was under the impression that cutworms basically made a clean cross cut of the stem at the soil line, cutting through the entire stem - but, of course I could very well be wrong about that. And, aside from the fact that we don't have mice or rats around here (but do have outdoor cats and squirrels), it seems like a mouse would also chop (or chomp) right through the entire stem. At any rate, I sure hope it's not mice!!!

Any other ideas or opinions? (Not that I TOTALLY discount your ideas, but would just like more to choose from )

BTW, Delerium, after reading about your plant super gluing, I went out and salvaged the growing tip and rooted it (after soaking the cut stem in water for a bit).

Anne
Old April 2, 2014   #5
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

What about Wireworms?
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Well That just SUCKS! Glad you are rooting it though.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #7
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default UH-OH - not another!!

Hi all,

Looks like the mystery culprit has struck again (although not quite finished with the job). The plant is 2 plants over from the now deceased MC.

Hand watering what's left of the plants in my garden, I noticed that the stem of my (stunted) Cherokee Purple is being attacked. Any new guesses and what's doing the damage? I'll send copies of the photos on to the County Extension and colleagues at UC who are helping me identify my other plant problems - but they won't be back at work until Monday.

Maybe I should go out in the garden and "root around" for critters or, perhaps better yet, just go dig up the plant, pot it up, and bring it down to the extension office on Monday.......

Anyway, here are the lovely new photos:

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP Stem Damage 4-5-14.jpg (152.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg CP Stem Close-up 4-5-14.jpg (48.6 KB, 67 views)
Old April 5, 2014   #8
aclum
Tomatovillian™

DING! DING! DING!

It appears we have a winner! Delerium was right all along ! I should have known by now that he would be ! And, Linda, you're right - it DOES SUCK .

Turned out it WAS a cutworm. Guess I didn't have my skewer close enough to the plant stem (I'd moved it closer for the photo). I dug up the plant and was lucky enough to be able to spot the critter. After removing the top of the plant and soaking in it water a bit, I put it in a moist root riot cube so I'm hoping I can get a clone to save the plant in the long run.

Here are some photos.

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutworm 4-5-14.JPG (31.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CP unearthed 4-5-14.JPG (68.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CP rooted 4-5-14.JPG (132.6 KB, 65 views)
Old April 5, 2014   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It sure looks like damping off. I've just never seen it on a plant that big. That doesn't mean it can't happen. The reducing stem being almost perfectly circular with the support next to it kind of rules out a mouse or other rodent.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Our posts crossed. I'm glad that you figured it out.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote