Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 30, 2013   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Insect Egg Cluster

Hi,

Can anyone identify the possible source of the egg cluster (???) shown on the leaf in the attached photo?

I'm sorry the photo is so out of focus, but at least maybe you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about when I describe it.

The cluster is on the underside of a small leaf and the cluster itself is about 1/2 to 3/4" long by about half as wide (I no longer have the leaf to actually measure). The background lines in light blue are from my jeans fabric, so that will help you judge the scale too. The cluster is comprised of tiny hexagonal (I think - didn't actually cound the sides LOL!) cells like a honeycomb. The leaf itself looked very healthy and there was no other evidence of insects in the area (crawling or flying). The cluster itself was maybe 1/16" thick.

Any idea what the eggs are? And how I might get rid of the egg layers assuming they're NOT beneficial.

Thanks!
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insect eggs on leaf 5-30-13.jpg (187.7 KB, 57 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Maybe Stink Bugs --

http://engineeredgarden.blogspot.com...sect-eggs.html

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/controlling/stinkbugs/
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #3
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the quick response!! I think what I have looks like the eggs of some worm type thing - fruit worm, hornworm, etc. It looks most like the photo near the end of the link with the text "share it" to its immediate right.

Hum......the birds used to seem to take care of hornworms, etc. but now that I have silver plastic mulch down, they seem to be scared away. Guess I'll have to do something about them myself. Bummer (LOL)!

Anne
Old May 31, 2013   #4
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I found some eggs that looked exactly like these this morning. Anytime I've found eggs on the mater leaves, it hasn't turned out well. So let's just say that leaf and egg cluster aren't around anymore.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #5
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

I vote for stink bugs as well...check out Table 1. Insecticides for Control of Insect Pests of Tomatoes at this link:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2218.html

It includes stink bugs.

As for the eggs...scrape them off and dispose.
Old June 1, 2013   #6
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Kazfam,

I think you and Fred might be right as a couple of days ago I found a couple of clusters of what looks like either asassin bug nymphs or leaf footed stink bug nymphs on the underside of a couple of corn plant leaves:

http://www.dpughphoto.com/images/lea...ll%2053107.JPG

Saw some adults last year but haven't noticed any yet this year.

Thanks for the input!

Anne