Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2022   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Short and Sweet 2022

I have been potting up my various dwarf selections and I will use this thread to post about the project this season.
Good luck everybody with your tomato growing and garden or farming season this year.
We all deserve a terrific year
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F9363C8-598D-46C8-B638-CD0E48F4D103.jpg (262.7 KB, 419 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2022   #2
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi Karen, what varieties this year?
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2022   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Hi Karen, what varieties this year?
Pete
I am growing all my various generation growouts of dwarfs I’ve shown before . Sweet baby Jade was released last summer so I am growing that of course and looking forward to seeing how people who are growing it like it in its first season.
I have emerald city, yellow brick road, Ruby slippers and munchkin all at F7-8 now so I think I will be releasing several new dwarfs again this summer. They are being grown by a couple of friends in NCarolina and California to see how they do outside of my own climate.
I have some Multiflora potato leaf beta cherries at F4 that I’m excited about looking at again this year and a couple of really pretty striped cocktails in red and black as well.
I have two F2 micro cross growouts to look at as well so there should be quite a variety of small dwarfs around here this year.
I can jam in quite a few
I’ll post them all on this one thread rather than separating out in groups because even though from multiple crosses they are all dwarfs and regardless of size, I call them all collectively “ short and sweet”. Makes it simpler for posting pics Etc.
KarenO
Old April 22, 2022   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Some little fellas to select from. Early generation F2 which stands for
“Fun and Frustrating”
hoping to find some gf and some gs and hopefully maybe both in these little ones

They are already Short and sweet little seedlings anyhow and crossing my own stable varieties now makes it more interesting to me.
There are a lot of very similar small dwarfs out there. I don’t aim to add another bland, late, unproductive lookalike.
Wish me luck
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5DECBD1-BFD7-48DC-B5DC-F894CB257117.jpg (289.5 KB, 326 views)
Old April 22, 2022   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Karen, how many of them are you looking at growing out? Should be some good ones in there for you to find given the quality of your starting stock.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2022   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I can grow out quite a few little dwarfs. I’m looking at fruit qualities not things like fuzz or antho or varigation so I will grow as many of the best looking small plants that I have room for. I have about 150 to choose from but I won’t grow them all I’ll grow the ones I like the general structure of to start with and then hope for something interesting to show up among them. Early bloomers will be a plus I’m looking for as well. Many small dwarfs are painfully late imo
KO
Old April 22, 2022   #7
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Karen - any update on your new (F7?) beefsteaks that you mentioned last year - Cowboy, Wild Rose Country, Oh Canada, and Bloodstone? A different thread maybe?
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2022   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I’ll start a thread for those separately I am growing all of them again and they are being trialled by some good friends as well this year.
I have some nice seedlings I’ll take some pictures and start a new thread for those separately
Old April 23, 2022   #9
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Please keep us updated because I had a customer looking for different dwarfs tomatoes for her front porch.

I just I will look into growing a Hybrid Dwarft Tomato to please elder customers who want to grow tomatoes on their front porch. So if I grow the Late Dr. Carolyn Sweet Scarlet Draft is going to be an F-4, showing the 4 years I grew it here at Angel Field.

At What time does it become stable. after an F-8?
How do you sell an F-1 - 7-8 for customers to understand?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2022   #10
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello Karen, I am also growing Sweet baby Jade, I will keep you informed, and I will be attentive to this thread

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2022   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Record breaking cold spring so far means everything is still in the greenhouse but the seedlings are looking great so far. All in all including some deliberately crowded micro Selection growouts I’ll have around 150 dwarfs this year in the yard. Mostly in pots. There will be more photos and videos on my Northern gardener page as the season goes on. I will update here as well especially once there are fruit to show
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF6E0E18-50E9-430B-85DE-E3CE014D8577.jpg (280.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg F3E6817D-C9E9-43BF-924C-91B067BC8021.jpg (216.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg DECE3DC2-E4A5-4D10-A07F-15421CB45716.jpg (212.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg A83006E5-FBAD-4F32-A45C-D3E2203EC04B.jpg (192.4 KB, 255 views)
Old May 16, 2022   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

They look great despite the cold weather . Hopefully, it will warm up there soon!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2022   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Bunch of little guys potted up today. These should all be very small dwarfs. Deliberately Planted crowded to maximize the number of plants to select from. Looking for something in a stripe that tastes good from these.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 624B1AC2-624A-4DC3-9AB9-9E532E274EC4.jpg (192.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 55BCEB19-F5BC-4BD7-BAC4-AD906FE93930.jpg (334.6 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 094B1243-B682-4168-975F-E8B3477A5A77.jpg (335.9 KB, 201 views)
Old May 22, 2022   #14
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, Karen! I can imagine keeping all the greenhouse seedlings individually watered might be a challenge at this stage, I know it is for me! Do you plan to sell or give away your extra seedlings locally?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2022   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I generally plant extra to sell and give away but I didnt do it this year because I needed the greenhouse space for a couple of larger early generation growouts so I don’t really have any extras except a few for my kids.
I don’t give away unstable breeding project stuff except to family soif I don’t grow it myself I compost the seedlings I cull.

Last edited by KarenO; May 22, 2022 at 09:03 PM.