Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2022   #16
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
The Little Plastic Bags with a closable seal are real good to work; with Clear Strong Tape that thoroughly connect both end of the Little Bags on your Permanent Staking or Large Tomato Cages works good for me.

There is another method but I have to get that Company O.K. First, to be able to show pictures.
That is a good idea!
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2022   #17
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

When I take the "Name Tag Stickers" off the Plant small pots to transfer them to my Farming land, I away apply "New Clear Plastic Bigger Tape" to the Permanent. This year there will be 2 Listing of each Variety, dealing with all this "Winds" before "Hurricane Season". My Plants in the Farmland is loving the wind and growing well.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2022   #18
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I think slugworth has said that grease pencil is the thing to use on plastic for tags.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2022   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Grease Pencil works for me inside of a Plastic Bag, because to the Weather. Especially starting my seedling in January inside of a greenhouse, then out in the Elements. Somehow the grease pencil fades away a little when the hot temperatures hits. Secure inside a plastic bag has saved the name tag thoroughly from hight winds and high heated conditions from the sun of fading most times since Heirloom Plants last until the first forest in your ares.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2022   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
tomato plants from a farmers market stand and they were labeled with long thin white plastic strips and black markers and they looked good as new when I pulled them from the ground the next spring. I haven't figured out what they were or where you get them
I have used some cut up venetian blinds. Some worked and kept the name the whole season, some didn't, depending on the marker and I suppose the sun angle. But I want to try a grease pencil...haven't seen one in years. Been looking through the old stuff. Guess I would need to buy one. One thing is for sure, permanent markers are not what they used to be. Old sharpies and marksalot used to hold a ton of ink and were truly permanent.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2022   #21
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

@gardenmaid... I feel your pain! About 3 weeks ago, very strong winds blew over my mini-greenhouse & tossed many tomato seedlings out of their containers & soil. Some traveled halfway across driveway. It took me 2.5 hours to clean-up the mess. All told, 25 plants (out of 143) were lost; either blown away or crushed to death.

Although my problem isn't as bad as it could be because I mostly grow variegated and wooly varieties, I have a bunch of unlabeled plants (I haven't bothered to count them) that I was going to give-away & can't save seeds of.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2022   #22
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I had a tray of plants close to the house because they had no drainage and not used to full sun.
Mice ate the "bark" off all the plants.
I had to replant deeper and hopefully they will root higher up on the plant.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote