Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2006   #31
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, many thanks for your offer, but I'm very confused because of your generosity. I think you better spend this sum for your health, that's definately more important. And will be able to find somebody next year who would like to obtain my seeds and pay to SSE for me.
Actually many of folks who wanted to trade with me so far were not able to realize that there is no legal way for me to get money for my seeds. So these trades (seeds-for-books) was the only way. And of course I have no access to foreign libraries or book-shop or amazon here. So we help each other and even twice

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #32
nascarmike
Tomatovillian™

Default GETTING THE SSE BOOK FOR ANDRY

I REALIZE THIS MAY BE A HUGE UNDERTAKING BUT WOULD SSE HAVE THE YEARBOOK IN THEIR DATABASE. IF SO COULD THE ENTIRE CATALOG BE E-MAILED TO HIM. I KNOW IT WOULD BE LIKE E-MAILING THE NEW YORK CITY PHONE BOOK TO HIM BUT IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE.

MIKE IN CHICAGO
nascarmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #33
Rena
Tomatovillian™

No cooking tonight my YEARBOOK has arrived OH YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #34
nascarmike
Tomatovillian™

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT!
nascarmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Andrey, all of my health costs to date have been paid for by the medical insurance I have. And I have no reason to think that that won't be true in the future, regarless of any more surgery, a home physical therapist in the winter months and all else.

Not to worry, for if I have money to buy the dark bitterweet chocolate I so love, which I do, and buy the insane number of books that I do, which I do, then I have money for an Andrey SSE membership.

Mike, it would be far easier for the Yearbook to be sent directly to Andrey once he's a member than trying to extract any Yearbook info and e-mailing him, even though I know it's stored in a data base.

If Andrey is lucky and PV gets the money in sooner than later he still might be able to get the 2006 Yearbook. They send them out until they have no more.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2006   #36
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thanks again. I'm still can't remember you have this medical insurance system which is completely different with what we had since Soviet Union times and it remins rather the same.
There is still free medical services by State Hospitals. But if we really want to get serious medical treatment or surgery it's better to pay to these poor doctors who earn usually about 300$ a month or use commercial hospitals' services.
I know your doctors are among very well-paid professionals.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old February 10, 2006   #37
travis
Tomatovillian™

What a sad state of affairs.

It makes me ashamed to think that the poor, dedicated doctors in countries like Belarus are working for $300 a month when the surgeons who performed my 4-hour heart operation grossed twice that much per minute.

What's sadder is the generally sad state of medical affairs worldwide. And that in this country we spend more on wars than on medicine.

It's all very sad.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2006   #38
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Bill, it is actually our average salary in Belarus and Russia (about 250-300USD a month) and even less in Ukraine and other post-Soviet Republics (except Baltic States which now in EU, but among the poorest countries there).
And our teachers and even professors at Universaties earn the same or even less than this sum! But that is our fate to make discoveries worth of the Nobel Prize and earn several hundreds of bucks per a months...
We survive in any living conditions and still have a very good connections between Slavic countries... All use Russian as the main language, have dachas, grow vegetables to eat something in autumn, winter and early spring and exchange seeds a lot :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old February 10, 2006   #39
travis
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry for taking the thread astray, Imisscola.

Life ain't perfect and I guess we all accept our fate or else are tipping at windmills. I admire folks who can make the best of the hand they're dealt like Andrey does.

I didn't mean to mire the group down in a discussion of national health care or military industrial politics.

Carry on.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #40
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

My first post here! And I'll bring the thread back to SSE... 8) I'm an unlisted member. This is the second yearbook (WOW!! It's Huge!) Last year, I had all intentions to list. I found one that only had one person offering them, and a small note about it being endangered. I dutifully got the seed, planted it, and made little mesh bags...and ended up not liking it at all. Mushy, mediocre taste, I let most of the fruit rot...the ones I loved last year were my giant Black Trifele, Purple Cherokee (that was red with no hint of purple, and was a very compact plant. Mismarked at the nursery?) and my never-fail-me hybrids, Sungold and Lemon Boy. Sigh.

I very much plan on listing. I want to find one that is so good, I will always save a spot for it in my garden. And one that isn't already offered by a dozen people, since that tom is already 'taken care of.'

I also grew 1/2 dozen 'Lampa Alladina' I got from Barb with the intention of listing it. But that was a strange one! Big healthy plant, lots of toms, one of the first to have fruit, and it was MEALY. It wasn't until the very end of the season that they ripened to edible, and then it wasn't bad. But after tasting the almost inedible first fruits, I didn't bother to bag any blossoms. Foiled, again.

I love the black tomatoes. I'm visual, and so I also have bi-colors way up on my grow list. And I'm trying my first green this year. Brad's Berkeley Tie Dye. I'm sure excited about that one! I don't have a huge amount of space. I have one of those small California backyards. I did, however, replace the lawn in the back with raised tomato beds. :wink: This year I'm crowding in 35 tomato plants, along with the beans, peas, squash, peppers, eggplant and herbs (token only - I'm a tomato maniac)

Anyway, glad to be in Tomatoville!

Diana
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #41
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn or Craig, perhaps you may know. Why so many Canucks on offer this year from SSE HF?

Jennifer, who may need to arrange financing for her Iowa and Maine orders
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No real knowledge as to why so many Canadian varieties Jennifer, but what SSE itself is offering is usually related to what they're growing out for fresh stock for SSE itself, as they do on a rotational basis, as many do, and so I suppose that's as good an answer as any. It may well be that those Canadian varieties were all submitted together at roughly the same time and are just up for renewal , aka, fresh stock.

Since you only have this, your first Yearbook, it would be hard for you to make comparisons with what they've offered in prior years, and for all I know there were many other Canadian varieties as well. I just don't pay that much attention to the ones SSE is offering these days, to be honest. Nor do I tote up the total SSE offerings and look to see if Canadian varieties comprise a larger percentage than varieties with other origins.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #43
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the response, Carolyn. I expected as much. Just my luck then and lucky for others who collect True North stuff too. I'm not the only one who has noticed the selection this year as compared to previous yearbooks.

Jennifer, ordering 5--yup, 5--Canuck rutagabas
Old February 13, 2006   #44
clay199
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer,
I would be happy to help finance your purchases.

Let me know
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #45
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Clay, if you weren't already married, with kids and in school...

Check out the Have Trade section.

Jennifer, first in line for analysis once you've graduated