Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2018   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandymaster

Now that the season is playing out I'm interested in a few varieties I'm not familiar with, but have been hearing a good bit. I mentioned Big Daddy and Dixie Red in another thread and now I'm interested to get your feedback on Brandymaster.

The ad says it is a potato leaf indeterminate that is a new version of the old classic Brandywine, producing medium to large fruits, weighing up to a pound.

Is it a good producer, and does it live up to its billing? Here is a link that tells more about it. If it is as good as they say, I certainly need to consider it for next year.

https://www.totallytomato.com/P/0060...+Hybrid+Tomato

Thanks!
DS
Old September 18, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
Now that the season is playing out I'm interested in a few varieties I'm not familiar with, but have been hearing a good bit. I mentioned Big Daddy and Dixie Red in another thread and now I'm interested to get your feedback on Brandymaster.

The ad says it is a potato leaf indeterminate that is a new version of the old classic Brandywine, producing medium to large fruits, weighing up to a pound.

Is it a good producer, and does it live up to its billing? Here is a link that tells more about it. If it is as good as they say, I certainly need to consider it for next year.

https://www.totallytomato.com/P/0060...+Hybrid+Tomato

Thanks!
DS
I read the link and the question I have is which specific OP Brandywine did they use and what did they cross it with to create an F1 hybrid?

Those are my questions,but I suppose to most it's a matter of how it tastes.

Lastly,I can go back and check, but won't,if an F1 hybrid which tolerances were bred into it for various diseases.I don't think I saw that but may have missed it,if so, I apologize.

Carolyn
Old September 18, 2018   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Those were some of the questions I was hoping someone could answer. :-)
Old September 20, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
Those were some of the questions I was hoping someone could answer. :-)
I know you'll get some answers here

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22...-brandymasters

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this since I personally know many who were posting,some of them used to post here at TV and I'm still in very close touch with one of them since he breeds some wonderful tomato varieties.And some of his were listed in a recent seed offer of mine here at TV.

He goes by Hoosier Cherokee (user name) in the above. His real name is Bill Jeffers. Be SURE to read Bill's comments. He knows more than most about tomato genetics than many I know although there are a couple of others who are commercial who know a lot and one who is NOT commercial knows the most IMO and yes he has a website,a superb one, but sells no seeds,strictly informational.

Carolyn

I know this will help.

Carolyn