Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 22, 2011   #31
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Michael, great looking loaf! I've been trying to improvise a flax bread version of no-knead and am getting close, but no cigar yet! There is a Kuppers bakery in Dryden, Ont. that makes the best flax bread, and we alway stock up for the freezer when we come back from a fishing trip to Canada. We're going in about three weeks, and I'll see if the owner will give me a small hint on percentages of flour to flax meal and seeds.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011   #32
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dee

There is a recipe in Classic Sourdoughs. It calls for 1/2 cup flax flour to 4 1/2 cups of your other flour and 1/2 cup flax seed.
Old May 22, 2011   #33
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Michael, Sourdough! You will never get bread bread from a bread machine that is as good as you will from traditional methods but you can really enhance the flavor of any bread recipe with a sourdough starter. I almost never make a loaf without it. I will post a recipe when I have time to find it.
Old August 5, 2011   #34
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Sourdough Bread

2 cups Starter
2 Tbsp. Butter or Olive oil
2 cups White bread flour
2 Tbsp. Dried milk
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Yeast

I use this recipe almost every time I use my bread machine. I use at least one cup of the white flour but often sub in a combination of wheat and rye to add up to two cups.
Old September 22, 2011   #35
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

So I yesterday I made the best bread that I have ever made using my bread machine (kind of by accident). I had to get to work by 11:00 so I set up the bread machine on manual in the morning, planning to take it out and bake it in the oven. I used a modified version of the recipe above, with no milk, one cup of wheat flour subbed for white, and some of my fresh tomato powder. Well it got to be about 10 and the machine beeped at me to take the loaf out. I didn't have time to rise and bake it so I just started it over again and set it to bake in the machine. The extra rise and time seemed to really enhance the flavor in starter. All it took was an extra push of a button so I will for sure try it again.