Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 15, 2015   #226
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

You got it! PL was just another recessive trait as an example. The good thing is, it's easy to plant several hundred F2 seeds and pick the dwarfs/micros while they are still at the cotyledon stage. Micro and dwarf differentiation then take more time but you dont have to grow them to maturity to make the call.

Let me know how it goes!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #227
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

Does the multi-flora trait have any sort of "tell" that can be identified before they would be rootbound in a 4" solo cup? That would save a lot of time and space. I'm trying to figure out how I could work a search with that many possibilities into a next winter project.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #228
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Not that I know of but you can leave them in a small pot until they flower. MF are pretty easy to spot in comparison to non-MF.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old January 17, 2015   #229
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

This might be a bit lazy but I haven't read all 16 pages of this thread but I will. I wanted to ask a couple basic questions. I understand what micro dwarfs are--but I also see these multiflora threads, are they synonyms? If not how do they differ? Answers or links either way. And like the dwarf project, is the motivation to get more variety and flavor into microdwarfs because not much exists? Lastly what size pots do they do best in?

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #230
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
This might be a bit lazy but I haven't read all 16 pages of this thread but I will. I wanted to ask a couple basic questions. I understand what micro dwarfs are--

1) but I also see these multiflora threads, are they synonyms? If not how do they differ? Answers or links either way.

2) And like the dwarf project, is the motivation to get more variety and flavor into microdwarfs because not much exists?

3) Lastly what size pots do they do best in?

Justin
1) Multiflora is a particular mutation unrelated to dwarf stature that gives a highly branched inflorescence. Sometimes >100 blooms.

2) Yes. And because it's fun to grow stuff during the winter.

3) Mine seem very happy in 6-8" pots

Old January 17, 2015   #231
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
1) Multiflora is a particular mutation unrelated to dwarf stature that gives a highly branched inflorescence. Sometimes >100 blooms.

2) Yes. And because it's fun to grow stuff during the winter.

3) Mine seem very happy in 6-8" pots
Thanks for the info. This thread and the multiflora thread will make for good winter reading during these long winter days. At least I've got onions breaking the ground under the lights.

I'm intrigued that you grow these in the winter, I wonder how'd they do by my south facing patio door in Wisconsin with a even lower sun angle and shorter days than Raleigh.

T'Ville is a great place! Thanks again.
Old January 17, 2015   #232
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

ChrisK : How do your micros grow in lower light conditions?

The micros I'm working with seem to include the sun-dwarf trait (in addition to the typical dwarf trait), so the super-small plants are only seen with bright sunlight. Some micro plants that topped out at maybe eight inches during the summer are continuing to grow at my south-facing window and have regrown to maybe two feet after the summer growth was trimmed down to less than an inch.
Old January 17, 2015   #233
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Spent the time to read through the thread from beginning to end. This is some really neat stuff! Not sure how your plants are progressing, but if there is another generation you'll be saving soon and want a couple plants grown out or any more plants of current generations grown out (micro + multiflora), I'd be happy to grow a couple plants and see how they do in our south facing patio door.

The stature of the plants is just something, especially if tasty fruits can be had. Certainly good therapy for winter for those of us not in the near-tropics and interesting no matter what. The multiflora trait would make for a good plant to practice emasculating flowers (which I never have done but I know at some point I'm going to want to start crossing tomatoes). I've started with squash because of desire for a mix of traits from certain varieties, but also because it is fool-proof to cross squash.
Old January 18, 2015   #234
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I dont think I have sundwarf in mine. I don't see any kind of discoloration or scar tissue when they are in full sun:

Exposed leaves are greatly stunted, internodes less than 1 cm; stems somewhat constricted above the nodes, showing a brownish discoloration at first, scar tissue later; new shoots from base of plant grown normally until they break through the thick canopy

No good pictures at TGRC though.

I have seen some of the crosses elongate much more dramatically during the winter and stay tiny in full sun, as you are seeing. Under fluorescent lights they stay small e.g.the multiflora above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
ChrisK : How do your micros grow in lower light conditions?

The micros I'm working with seem to include the sun-dwarf trait (in addition to the typical dwarf trait), so the super-small plants are only seen with bright sunlight. Some micro plants that topped out at maybe eight inches during the summer are continuing to grow at my south-facing window and have regrown to maybe two feet after the summer growth was trimmed down to less than an inch.

Old January 18, 2015   #235
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Certainly good therapy for winter for those of us not in the near-tropics and interesting no matter what. The multiflora trait would make for a good plant to practice emasculating flowers (which I never have done but I know at some point I'm going to want to start crossing tomatoes).
They certainly offer plenty of opportunity to practice emasculating flowers. I did over 60 today. I probably removed at least 5-6 for each one I completed - some intentionally to try to force the cross to set and some just messing up the process. With all of that, you can't see where any flowers are missing. They literally have 100's of flowers on each plant and show no sign of slowing down.

I planted 7 other micro varieties the same time I planted these. Besides the sheer number of flowers, there is something else that stands out about these. They are much sturdier. Every other one is in need of some sort of staking. None of these has felt like they needed any support at all. Although I can't believe they won't at some time. There will eventually be just too much weight from all those fruits and something will have to give.

They do also provide good winter therapy. Now, I just hope they are tasty - or at least edible.

Question about the micro-flora trait - is it something that can be passed up to larger fruited plants? I haven't researched, but as I recall, the only thing I've seen it on is the cherry sized fruits.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #236
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I think there are some larger fruited multifloras (fireworks maybe?).

Old January 18, 2015   #237
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

English Breakfast is a multi-flora paste!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #238
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana has it as Britain's Breakfast

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...%27s_Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
English Breakfast is a multi-flora paste!

Linda

Old January 18, 2015   #239
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Exposed leaves are greatly stunted, internodes less than 1 cm; stems somewhat constricted above the nodes, showing a brownish discoloration at first, scar tissue later; new shoots from base of plant grown normally until they break through the thick canopy

No good pictures at TGRC though.
I haven't noticed any unexpected scarring on any of mine, but it could just be my expectation includes such scarring as is seen -- I will have to take better note of the trait this year. I have seen the canopy effect on some of my non-micro F2s and the resulting plants are more-or-less short, wide, and flat-topped. The form worked well for my balcony-railing planters.
Old January 20, 2015   #240
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

All of the micro plant have set fruit ow. I have not seen one dropped blossom. So far all of the tomatoes are round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro sm fruit.jpg (45.7 KB, 131 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote