Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 14, 2012   #16
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

BX is not the same as veggie and herb. From the data sheet it appears the V&H uses a soy based fertilizer. Not sure what that means. And it only contains 3 to 7% perlite.
PRO-MIX BX MYCORRHIZAE™ - has 15 to 25% perlite and vermiculite and of course the mycos.
BX line also has a few variations, including one with biofungicide.
Veggie and Herb data sheet -
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...b37272bef4.pdf
website - http://www.newpromix.com/en/pro-mix-...b-growing-mix/

BX - http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/gro...al-production/
Data Sheet - http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/faci...s/proMixBX.pdf
It appears they have 2 websites, one for retail and one for pro use.

I only have limited experience with the BX Myco, ( all I could get locally) and none with the other products. Happy with it so far!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #17
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I just got a couple of broken #4 mix 3.8 cu ft bales for $14 each, 1/2 price. One is about 3/4 full the other looks full. Usually, they only offer a 25% discount. I'm trying to grow my own; but, every year I have more pots to fill.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

For SWC applications, you really need to have approx 20 to 25% perlite, or else the Mix will get too wet. You can always buy perlite separately and blend it in manually to get to this ratio.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #19
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Turns out that when you wet the Advanced Mix #4 as you would ordinarily do in a container - it "returns" to the same size. Specifically, 3.0 cubic feet.

I think their claim of "fluffing up to 6 cubic feet" is totally irrelevant - - who ever uses it in the dry, fluffed up condition?
Ray, when mixing your 3:2:1 mix, are you mixing it dry or wet? I was under the impression that you mix it dry, which would make the ratio more like 1.5:2:1 once its wet. Is that inaccurate?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #20
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Ingredients
  • Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Sea-based compost
  • Composted Bark
  • Perlite
  • Limestone
    (pH adjuster)
  • Mycorrhizae (endomycorrhizae beneficial micro-organism)
Any thoughts on this for seed starting? They must have a bunch of new retail packaging / product names.
Thanks
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Wet or dry, the volume is similar. When you cut open the Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, the bag doesn't literally "explode" to double its size - - it stays at a constant volume.

If you threw hands-full of the stuff up in the air, then yes it might "expand" - but I personally think this is a misleading claim on their part. Just be aware to not buy one bag thinking you can have it fill a 6 cubic foot container.

Raybo
Old March 14, 2012   #22
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I'm not sure you clearly answered Riceloft's question. At least, it's not obvious to me. I'll say when I was mixing up the 3:2:1 ratios for my InnTainers this past year, I fluffed the SS#4 (crumbled it up) before measuring off the portions. I was adding the various components one 6" pot full at a time. It's hard to measure the SS#4 in its solid, compressed form. Are you saying that you actually just chuck-in chunks of uncompressed SS#4 when measuring off your ratios for the mix?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is whether I may have under supplied the SS#4 portion of the mix because I am throwing in uncompressed portions rather than compressed.

BTW, I didn't get the impression my mix lacked for water wick capabilities (or was drying up for lack of peat). I believe while the mix does compress some after wetting, it's not compressed to the same level as when it comes out of the bale dry. That's not a statement backed by scientific experiementation, just my impression working with the stuff.

Thanks for clarifying.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #23
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

When digging it out of the bag with a flour scoop, I simply used the 3:2:1 scoop ratio which went into my mixing bucket, along with the microbark and perlite.

Both the Sunshine Mix #4 as well as their new Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 are packed in a similar density. At best, there may be a 5% expansion unpacked, versus packed into the bag, when wetted. Not the 100% expansion which surprisingly only the Advanced version claims on the bag. Nothing mentioned on the standard Sunshine Mix #4 package.

Their claim defies logic as the Advanced version contains a higher ratio of perlite which everyone knows is hard exploded glass - - and this does not compress - nor does it expand when unpacked.

Raybo
Old March 14, 2012   #24
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post

Ingredients
  • Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Sea-based compost
  • Composted Bark
  • Perlite
  • Limestone
    (pH adjuster)
  • Mycorrhizae (endomycorrhizae beneficial micro-organism)
Any thoughts on this for seed starting? They must have a bunch of new retail packaging / product names.
Thanks
I am using this and have been very happy with it so far. I have been getting at Menards for $6.99 a bag. I can't get the bx around here.

On the Earthbox forum some said home depot has the veggie and herb one for $2.25 a bag right now. My HD doesn't have it.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #25
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply. No HD here. I saw this at Menards as well. Guess I will give it a try.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #26
elight
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I'm confused. If the Pro-Mix BX contains 15 to 25% of perlite, and you are saying that our final mix need contain only 25% perlite, then do we need to add additional perlite if using a grow media such as Pro-Mix BX that already includes it?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #27
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

According to the Pro-Mix datasheet, the BX contains approx 17% perlite. When you factor in the microbark which obviously does not contain any perlite, then adding in the one scoop in the 3:2:1 combo Mix brings the perlite percentage back up to about 23%.

If you are not going to use microbark in the Combo Mix, I then recommend cutting the Pro-Mix BX at a 5 scoops mix to 1 cup added perlite. This increases the percentage of perlite which provides added aeration and drainage which tends to make up for the lack of microbark.

Raybo
Old March 14, 2012   #28
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ray - I failed to factor in the micro-bark. Can't wait to get some of this mixed up!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #29
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ok Ray, I think we're doing about the same thing. Since your instructions require that the media be thoroughly "wetted" as the Tainer is being filled, we don't risk the chance that the filler shrinks significantly after wetting.
Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #30
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post
Thanks for the reply. No HD here. I saw this at Menards as well. Guess I will give it a try.
I have gone through five bags and have had excellent germination. I think you will like it.

I grew up in WI, There is no place like it
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote