Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2014   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default How to support heavy tomatoes?

I have one truss supersteak tomatoes which grows very heavy.
How can I support them?
I'm afraid the branches will break.
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Some like to use panty hose because the fabric is strong and soft. Wrap it around your stake or trellis after you have threaded it through your tomato stems.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Like this:

zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #4
GardenPeach
Tomatovillian™

Question, i realized tonight that i have 4 mortgage lifters starting to put some weight on a branch. In a little panic for fear of the branch breaking i used some kitchen string to help support the branch. Now I'm sitting here worried the string may start to cut through the branch. Do i have a legitimate worry and need to change this out asap or am i just being a nervous over protective first time heirloom tomato father. Ill post a pick asap.
Thanks
Steve
GardenPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #5
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

I would remove that string asap and use something a lot wider
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Use thicker string, like paracord or baler twine.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #7
GardenPeach
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the quick reply. I ended up using an old dress shirt i ripped strips out of to create something like a sling for the vine. It looks to be better supported till i can get a more permanent solution in a few days. I must admit I was suprised by the weight given the size of the tomatoes. Thanks again!
GardenPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Holy smokes! those are amazing tomatoes. they won't be on the vine more than a couple more days at any rate as they are nearly ripe and they will not get any heavier as tomatoes stop growing once they begin to change colour. For myself I would pick them and allow them to finish ripening indoors where no harm can befall them (critters, splitting, rain, hail, wind, bugs or human varmints either. You have certainly grown some beauties there!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #9
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I don't use supports anymore, I have had a few tear, but they rarely do so, and have had quite a few 8lb or so trusses. The truss just bends and folds, and moves toward the main stem, where friction with the stem reduces pressure on the truss. The fibers are strong as heck, think how hard it is to pinch a little sucker sometimes. Sometimes they do tear off though, and panty hose is very gentle on the plant, if you want to tie them up.
Those are some really nice tomatoes, I grew Supersteak several years ago, they are fun. Yours are so close to finish time I don't think it would mean much if they did tear off.

Last edited by AKmark; July 23, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2014   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am using J hooks and foam wire this year and love them both.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Those supersteaks look great. Did you eat them yet? How were they?

I grew two supersteak plants last year but the big beefs next to them ran circles around them for flavor, number, and shorter grow time. They tasted okay, but had some catfacing/areas that stayed green when the rest ripened.

For the last few years I've been supporting trusses and limbs with thinnish line (old yarn actually) but I put a loop at the end and support through the loop so the load is distributed across two strings 3/4" apart. That loop connection to the plant and then I tie a tautline hitch to the cage/support for adjusting tension.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #12
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I grow only for size competition.

I take a strip from a plastic grocery bag and place it under the stem of the truss at a place where the tomato can still comfortably move but where it's weight cannot break the truss.
To make a hammock I take a pair of old hose, cut a leg out and then make a cut down the middle of the leg thus making it a long flat piece of stretchy nylon. I use this as a hammock to supplement support for the tomato.

All photo's are of tomatoes that are at or have exceeded four pounds in weight.

If these techniques will support tomatoes of this size it will support yours.

Here is a photo of a tomato currently growing. It's approx four pounds at the moment and continuing to add weight.

Below is one from 2013 showing the grocery bag strip supporting the tomato from the stem.

And another from 2013 showing both the grocery bag strip under the stem as well as a hammock made from a pair of old tights supporting the tomato from underneath.

Last edited by PA_Julia; August 6, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote