Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2018   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermother22 View Post
I am in Chicago, and it has been a cool spring. The temps are finally seasonally appropriate. Does anybody know how long it takes the ground to warm up enough for planting if the temps are finally getting higher? I usually don't put them into the ground until the first week of June because Chicago weather is so crazy. And another question: I have way too many plants to keep them under my lights once I repot them, and I'm wondering, if the weather is good, do you think photosynthesis from the sun is more beneficial to the potted plants than lights? I will of course abide by the slow hardening off process.
Here's how I determine if the ground is warm enough to plant out,not very scientific, but it worked for me and many others including the farmers in my area at the time.

Take a handful of soil,aka dirt, gently squeeze it, if it stays in a ball,the soil is still too wet,not warm enough,but if it crumbles in your hand,then it's OK to set plants outside.

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2018   #17
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, everyone, for all your good suggestions!
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote