Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2014   #1
tedln

Default Where Tomatoes Don't Grow!

I've grown tomatoes most of my adult life because I've always lived in places where they could grow and produce. I've always assumed I can grow tomatoes anywhere fate placed me. I'm intelligent enough to know they won't grow well close to the polar ice caps or possibly the equator but other areas of the world may also not be great for tomato gardeners.

I sometimes research recipes for traditional dishes in other parts of the world and pay attention to which recipes use tomatoes as a base or flavoring agent in the dishes. I was recently looking at basic Irish dishes and realized tomatoes don't seem to be an important or even normal ingredient. I'm wondering if spores of the blight which decimated their potato crops are still so prevalent that any tomato planted outside would face certain and quick death due to blight or if the general climatic conditions of Ireland are simply not conducive to growing tomato .

I'm curious about other areas of the world or even in the United States where tomatoes are not considered a viable crop except in controlled conditions like greenhouses. Where and why?

Any thoughts?

Ted
Old August 3, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My garden is at the ecological limits of tomatoes range due to the high altitude which results in cold nights and a short season. Some areas of my valley are even more difficult because of topography which causes them to be much colder at night, or to have a shorter frost free growing season. Tomatoes are typically not grown in the next higher valley because it is just enough colder at night that the plants do not set fruit.

While in theory I have about 100 frost free days in a growing season, many of those frost free days are very cold. Some years 70 DTM tomatoes will ripen in my garden, some years they only produce green fruits before being killed by frost. I end up growing 55 DTM tomatoes, which tend to be saladette sized. No brandywines of beefsteaks for me.

Much of Wyoming is beyond the range where tomatoes can be grown outside in the dirt without extensive infrastructure.

Last edited by joseph; August 3, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2014   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, I would recommend that you grow some Arctic Rose tomatoes. The variety is one of the releases from the Dwarf Project. The "DTM" is around 60 days. It will give you lots of fruit that will average in the 5 ounce range. They are also very accommodating of containers which can be moved in and out of cover such as a garage or shed. They are pink in color and have that full flavored pink taste.

As for places where it was difficult to grow things, when I was in the Air Force, I was stationed Moses Lake and Spokane Washington, Edwards AFB in California, Las Vegas in Nevada, Portsmouth in New Hampshire, Clovis in New Mexico, and San Antonio in Texas. I was also stationed in Thailand and England. As you can see from the list, the climate was either too hot or too cold. My other assignments were places where you don't grow things, you spend all your time blowing stuff up.

Of the places listed, the hardest one to grow tomatoes in was a draw between Edwards AFB and Las Vegas - due to the extreme heat that I never learned to master. Lakenheath in England was a challenge because of the lower temperatures - rarely getting to 65 degrees F. My current location is the best is almost 40 years.

I think every place has its own challenges. But, obviously, some places are tougher than others.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #4
Eva Zhang
Tomatovillian™

Default Lighting for your tomato

Hi,

Seems you all have passion for tomatoes. Do you grow outside or in greenhouse?

What light do you use for your tomatoes?

Regards!

Eva
Eva Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Super miniature tomatoes like Tiny Tim can be easily grown in a window anytime. But serious growers who do not have access to a greenhouse grow everything outside in the dirt or in containers. Indoors, the 48 inch fluorescent "shop lights" work well for seed germination and initial growth of transplants.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #6
tedln

Eva,

Welcome to Tomatoville!

Many of us germinate our seed under fluorescent lights during the winter and then plant out in the spring. Do you grow tomatoes?

Your word usage indicates you spent time in the United States. I would guess in the southern United States.

If I remember correctly, China is the largest producer of tomatoes in the world, but I have always assumed most of the tomatoes are grown commercially for export. I can't remember a "traditional" Chinese dish which uses tomatoes.

Ted
Old August 4, 2014   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

ted,

Tomatoes are not a traditional food here, and although you can get some tomatoes outdoors and improve the yield by using special techniques and varieties, for a farmer, the yield of ripe fruit may not justify the time and space it takes to grow the plants, especially since our seasons are very variable, making outdoor tomatoes a risky crop for anyone depending on it for their livelihood.

Our season of frost free days is a bit longer than Joseph's (120-130 I think) although we can have a frosty night during the summer. But the main reason that tomatoes are a greenhouse crop is that our usual summer temperatures are not very high. Anything over 20 C/ 70 F is considered a warm summer day here. Record high temperature in my region is just over 30 C... highs of 90 F are literally unknown (although we tied or broke previous temperature records this July, didn't quite hit 90 - humidex was close to 40 C though). As I've been growing lots of different heirlooms, I'm finding that some of them will not set fruit unless the temp is over 70 F. This is in spite of the fact, I carefully choose short and early-midseason varieties with a reputation for tolerating cool conditions. The only ones that are really good for us are able to happily set and grow fruit between 60 and 70 F. Even so, the outdoor tomato will take longer to ripen than the same variety grown in a greenhouse. How much longer, depends on the weather that year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #8
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

Tomato growing is tough in most parts of Arizona because of the heat. I fought it and tried for years, and finally gave in to the reality that, at least in Tucson, our natural tomato growing season is late-February to mid-June and that's about it. Certain varieties can do better in the heat, and you can extend the season if you're able to install shade cloth and a misting system. I'm not willing to do the battle between shade cloth and our monsoon winds, and I try not to waste water. So, I find a few plants that will be prolific in the stated time period (Big Beef has been the best so far) and enjoy the heck out of them. Sometimes, if I can keep the plants alive all summer, I'll get a few fall gems before the days get too short and the nights too chilly. And, I visit the Santa Monica Farmers Market in California at least twice in August-September to get my annual fix of outrageously good heirlooms. We do get lots of good tomatoes here though, mostly from Willcox AZ, California and Mexico.

Last edited by AZRuss; August 4, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tedln, I remember researching tomato usage a few years ago about how in England, tomatoes were thought of as being poisonous until somewhere around 1600. My family name and ancestors come from the Highlands. I am at least a 7th generation Stone Mason. I remember reading in our family heritage and there was a mention of tomatoes being not only acceptable in the, "New World" but also exciting to eat.

It made me wonder if maybe this is why you didn't find much mention of tomato included recipies in basic, Irish, cooking?

I would like to know anything you find out about it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #10
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes we don't realize how good we have it. SW Tennessee is a good place to live and garden.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #11
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

It just dawned on me about the correlation between property values and good places to grow tomatoes. There are some exceptions, but kind of funny to me...when you think about it. haha

Last edited by Ed of Somis; August 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
It just dawned on me about the correlation between property values and good places to grow tomatoes. There are some exceptions, but kind of funny to me...when you think about it. haha
Speaking of which, some of the best farm land in Texas turned into this.
It is a subdivision in Hutto Texas that used to be a corn field.
There are many like it everywhere there.
Worth
Hutto.r.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; August 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #13
tedln

Salt,

I remember my mother, who would now be about 120 years old if still with us; saying when she was a young girl, tomatoes were called Love Apples and were considered poisonous. She said her family only grew them as decorative plants around a covered front porch near Dierks, Arkansas. I sure would like to have some seed from those plants.

I converse with some folks who grow on allotments in England. I can't remember anyone who grows tomatoes except in their "hot house". They all grow potatoes, onions, broad beans, parsnip, aubergine (Zucchini), and winter squash; but no tomatoes.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; August 5, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old August 5, 2014   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRuss View Post
Tomato growing is tough in most parts of Arizona because of the heat. I fought it and tried for years, and finally gave in to the reality that, at least in Tucson, our natural tomato growing season is late-February to mid-June and that's about it. Certain varieties can do better in the heat, and you can extend the season if you're able to install shade cloth and a misting system. I'm not willing to do the battle between shade cloth and our monsoon winds, and I try not to waste water. So, I find a few plants that will be prolific in the stated time period (Big Beef has been the best so far) and enjoy the heck out of them. Sometimes, if I can keep the plants alive all summer, I'll get a few fall gems before the days get too short and the nights too chilly. And, I visit the Santa Monica Farmers Market in California at least twice in August-September to get my annual fix of outrageously good heirlooms. We do get lots of good tomatoes here though, mostly from Willcox AZ, California and Mexico.
It's even shorter in Mesa,AZ. Some years I've had a good, 90-105 day season. Other years there was threat of frost until late March and > 100 at the beginning of May for the rest of the summer. I really only had one decent year where I was able to grow even long season tomatoes like Arkansas Traveler.
I'm looking forward to next summer in NC. I've been having to wear sweats early in the AM and we've had lots of days less than 80 since I arrived a few weeks ago. I realize it can get pretty hot here but it also seems to be an area with the ability to reliably produce many crops that I struggled with in AZ.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote