Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2018   #1
JoParrott

Default Can someone help me with insecticide question-

A few years ago I found a liquid concentrate that could be used when transplanting vegetables that prevented spider mites and aphids from getting on the plants- it was very effective for my pole beans which always get mites. Can anyone tell me what it is? Obviously I no longer have any of it and don't recall where I found it! Thanks--
Old April 29, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

was it a drench you applied to the soil or a spray you sprayed on the plant itself? if it was a drench it was probably imaclodaprid. if it was a spray? no idea. if it was a spray I would think you needed to apply it regularly?
Old April 29, 2018   #3
JoParrott

It was a soil drench that was only used once at transplant time and safe for edibles. i have sprays for spider mites but sometimes they get out of control!
Old April 29, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

sounds like imaclodaprid.
Old April 29, 2018   #5
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

The Amish around here call imidicloprid tater bug dope.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Tater bug dope...indeed

Amateur unregulated unlicensed pesticide application should be long a thing of the past in 2018.
This is a neonicotinoid pesticide highly toxic to bees and other beneficial creatures.
Soon to be Banned in Europe, Canada also swiftly working toward a total ban.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/arch...dacloprid.html
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #7
JoParrott

I don't think this is what I had- the drench I used was safe for vegetables- what people are describing sounds very dangerous.
Old April 30, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there is anything one would call safe against spider mites. If it worked so well as you say just by pouring it into the soil it must have been powerful stuff. I would use a modern spray or something, like kanemite (which works well but should only use once per year), those should hopefully be a little less toxic.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

(imaclodaprid) who the heck comes up with these names.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Try neem seed meal. Its a great fertilizer that goes systemic as a safe natural pesticide too. Or use neem oil mix as a systemic drench.
It's Azadiractin.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Living in the south with all the pests we have I am not one to shy away from 'safe' pesticides; but when it comes to using a systemic there is no way I would use one. If enough of the poison is in the plant to kill spider mites which I know from long experience are very hard to kill then there is no way I want to be eating the fruit from that plant. I also assume a systemic might have a devastating effect on bees that feed off the flowers of those plants.

Get you some Permethrin, Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) and some Dawn dish washing liquid. Get the 10% Permethrin that is for livestock and vegetables. With the proper mix and application of those three things you can usually rid your plants of spider mites but only use this mix after less toxic methods fail. If you catch them early spider mites can be controlled by Neem oil sprays, soapy water sprays, sulfur dust or even mild poisons in soapy water. The trouble with spider mites is most people don't recognize the problem til it is very late and very hard to control.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #12
JoParrott

I have Neem oil- maybe I'll try that.
Old April 30, 2018   #13
JoParrott

Thanks, B54red for that info- and thanks everyone- I will stay with sprays and try to keep a close watch for the symptoms-
Old April 30, 2018   #14
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Tater bug dope...indeed

Amateur unregulated unlicensed pesticide application should be long a thing of the past in 2018.
This is a neonicotinoid pesticide highly toxic to bees and other beneficial creatures.
Soon to be Banned in Europe, Canada also swiftly working toward a total ban.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/arch...dacloprid.html
I'm gonna go buy a couple of cases of it before it's banned! It just takes a miniscule amount to kill tater bugs, and aphids, so 2 cases would last me, then my kids the rest of their lives.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I'm gonna go buy a couple of cases of it before it's banned! It just takes a miniscule amount to kill tater bugs, and aphids, so 2 cases would last me, then my kids the rest of their lives.
enjoy your poison tomatoes and your dead pollinators.

systemic insecticide in edible plants can go along with the golf course fungicides, also systemic and toxic, frequently used by uneducated growers or those concerned only with profit as well.
I am relieved most of the world sees things differently these days.
Regards,
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote