Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 12, 2015   #16
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%20...20Potato/HTML/ 12 August 2015 Red Pontiac Potato
Second Red Pontiac Potato dug, weight was 6.4 pounds, which is excellent. The vegetation is almost dead, so further growth of tubers is inhibited.
You must have had some ideal conditions up that way, Durgan that one tater is huge! Several of the taters from the plant I dug are almost as big as a quart jar!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2015   #17
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

A 2 lb. Red Pontiac so far. I still have several to dig and I'm hoping for a big one!
Old October 18, 2015   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Good grief, Hellmans... that is some tater. Enough to feed a small army. Good for you, though. I should get out and dig my whatever I planted variety. they are white. maybe kennebecs, I forget. Next year I won't plant any other than some fingerlings. I can buy 50#'s for 15.00 from the amish, clean and bagged. I will grow something else instead.
Old October 18, 2015   #19
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Good grief, Hellmans... that is some tater. Enough to feed a small army. Good for you, though. I should get out and dig my whatever I planted variety. they are white. maybe kennebecs, I forget. Next year I won't plant any other than some fingerlings. I can buy 50#'s for 15.00 from the amish, clean and bagged. I will grow something else instead.
A good crop for me this year. I took some nice big taters to the local produce auction and they drew quite a bit of attention from the Amish. They just kept picking the taters up and mumbling to each other "these are not #1, they are too big". I then asked them which they would rather peel, 5 lbs. of mine, or 5 lbs. of yours?