Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 29, 2007   #1
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this just leaf burn or should I be worried?

The leaves on a couple of my plants have been doing this now for a few weeks.. is this leaf burn, too much salt in my soil..

....or something more sinister?

So far, it seems to be limited to just the leaf margins.
Old May 1, 2007   #2
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Nobody's willing to offer any thoughts?
Old May 1, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Looks like the sort of leaf edge necrosis that exhibits itself on certain varieties for me early on, better known as Crud. Is it the oldest leaves only?
Old May 1, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have something that looks like that on two varieties and as Craig said, it's limited to the older leaves. None of the new growth since being out in the garden shows any sign of it. I was concerned when they were still inside under the lights, but I think they're going to grow out of it now that they're in the garden.
Old May 1, 2007   #5
bcday
Tomatovillian™

What has your weather been like? That looks like the kind of drying that the plants growing in buckets on my driveway get when the weather is hot, dry, and windy. The leaf margins dry out because the plant just loses water faster than the roots can take it up.

If it's been going on for several weeks without the leaves dying and falling off, I don't think it's a disease.

Are the affected plants growing under exactly the same conditions as the unaffected ones as far as location, etc.? And, is it all the leaves or just the bottom ones?
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Well, here in Phoenix, the weather is typically very dry, and it's been gradually warming up. Plus, it has been windy.

I first noticed it on the very lowest leaves.. started at the edges and gradually worked its way in. Eventually, those leaves pretty much were totally dead.. and it has slowly moved up the plant as it ages. The ones at the very top are pretty much fine, but as you work down the plant it gets slowly more noticeable.

It's mostly limited to one plant, in a particular raised bed that seems to get a bit less water than the rest. It's also a plant that has overwintered.

I have also noticed a couple other plants are exhibiting similar problems with their leaves, but nowhere near as bad.

I figured it might be as you say, bcday... just had to get another couple opinions.
Old May 1, 2007   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I thought it looked like wind burn - my plants get like that when I put them out (early in their deveopment) and its windy ... usually grow out of it ... Never had a problem when they were inside ...

But above says "CRUD" - huh ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote