Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2020   #766
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I can't tell you how much you will need. It can depend on how rich your soil is and how much TTF it takes per plant to maintain good growth and production. I usually step up my dosing of the plants as they get larger so as the season goes along I use more and more each time I apply it. I don't think you will have any trouble using a case with 100 plants but if you have any left over it can be used in the fall and winter for those other types of plants. I prefer to use the Vegetable formula for everything except tomatoes because I think it gives me better results but the TTF is certainly a good fertilizer with anything I have tried it on.

If you want a mixed case just order a case of gallons and then send Ed an email telling him how you want the case filled.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2020   #767
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I am curious how many gallons you use for your 60? inground? plants per season? I know there are a lot of variables and my growing conditions and soil may be significantly different than yours.

I usually grow my inground plants without any fertilizer. Mostly just drip irrigation and sometimes a little mulch. I get good enough production from hybrids and so so production from OPs. I get enough tomato production by having a lot of plants. However this year hybrids are almost non existent because the local nurseries don't have them. Also local seed sources are scarce. So I have to resort to scrounging through my OP seed collection.

Judging from your success with improved tomato set I want to try TTF to improve the production of my OPs.

There is no way I can properly care for 100 plants. I have too many outdoor chores. I will be feeding with a watering can. I will only be buying TTF and using up my stash of MG. I wanted to grow other vegetables but nursery offerings are lacking this year and NONE of my old squash and lettuce seeds have sprouted.

I was lucky to get an order in for 1 gallon of TTF which seems to be on a slow boat. I will try for a case of TTF which I believe comes UPS but Urban Farms has stopped accepting orders.

I am GUESSING I may use 1 gallon per week per plant. If I feed once a week for June, July, August and September that would be 16 gallons per plant for the season. A gallon of TTF dilutes to 256 gallons so 1 gallon would feed 16 plants. So 5 gallons would feed 80 plants.

Assuming I am off by a factor of 2 the range of plants I could feed would be 40 to 180. I am more interested in having enough than too much so my guess is I should select 40 plants for the TTF regimen and do the rest with MG.

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I can't tell you how much you will need. It can depend on how rich your soil is and how much TTF it takes per plant to maintain good growth and production. I usually step up my dosing of the plants as they get larger so as the season goes along I use more and more each time I apply it. I don't think you will have any trouble using a case with 100 plants but if you have any left over it can be used in the fall and winter for those other types of plants. I prefer to use the Vegetable formula for everything except tomatoes because I think it gives me better results but the TTF is certainly a good fertilizer with anything I have tried it on.

If you want a mixed case just order a case of gallons and then send Ed an email telling him how you want the case filled.

Bill
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2020   #768
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have to be honest with you and tell you that I have no idea how much I will use any one year for sixty or more plants. I can tell you that I will use less than a gallon per plant at the recommended rate the first and maybe second time that I apply the TTF. After that it increases with the size and production of the plant. If the plants look a bit faded or pale then I may give a full grown plant an ounce or more to perk them up and get them producing more. This can take a good bit of water so I use a Chameleon hose end sprayer and set the dial at one TBS if conditions are average or dry but will move it up if the soil is wet from rain so that the dose they get isn't too diluted by the wet ground.

Keep trying to order from Urban Farms until the order goes through. I had to do that on my last order when I got a case. Since ordering seems to be a problem now I wish I had just gone ahead and ordered two cases; but I like the stuff as fresh as possible for it is easier to shake up and has less crystallization problems. You could also alternate using the MG and TTF if you aren't able to get enough TTF. I used to use MG but once I tried TTF I was sold because of the much increased fruit set; but if I can't order more when I need it I will use the Miracle Grow.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2020   #769
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Urban Farms is back in business at least for now. I saved a whopping $2.45 per gallon by purchasing a case! They don't seem to have a very good contract with UPS.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #770
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Is Urban Farms closed? On ebay it says seller is away and not processing orders.
Old May 29, 2020   #771
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

I've successfully ordered directly from The Urban Farm web site twice in recent weeks. They are frequently out of stock, so I suggest checking a few times each day, and ordering quickly when it is available!
Okijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #772
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I was able to get an order in about two days ago, but I still don't have tracking for it, so it seems patience is required in all things.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2020   #773
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

I know it’s important to avoid salt accumulation with TTF, which you would think could be an issue with earthboxes since they really don’t flush when bottom watered. I’ve started by putting the TTF straight in the watering tube, but am now concerned that the salts will eventually concentrate in the box.

So now I’m thinking to top water the boxes with a hose end sprayer / fertilizer mixer which could flush the salts through the soil, down into the reservoir, and out the overflow. I don’t use the plastic mulch topper anyway so this is easy to do.

Has anyone else been using TTF to top water earthboxes? Has anyone using it had issues with salt accumulation in EBs when adding it through the tube?
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2020   #774
elight
Tomatovillian™

I can tell you that TTF certainly "settles" and thus does not work with a fertilizer injector like the Ez-Flow. (I called them once and they confirmed this.) I would think it would have the same problem in a SWC situation leading to build-up on the bottom of the reservoir and nutrients not getting to the plants.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021   #775
Ocalagal
Tomatovillian™

Just thought Id update this thread with my first use of TTF. I planted these seeds back in February, or thereabouts. The plants are (from left to right) Steakhouse, Bella Rosa, Celebrity, and Climbing Tripl Crop. The branches are kinda of weaving from side to side, so I think some of those Celebrities are actually Bella Rosas. Ive never had much luck with tomatoes, so I have to think this TTF is some kind of magic. Im sold.
Ocalagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2022   #776
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagal View Post
Just thought Id update this thread with my first use of TTF. I planted these seeds back in February, or thereabouts. The plants are (from left to right) Steakhouse, Bella Rosa, Celebrity, and Climbing Tripl Crop. The branches are kinda of weaving from side to side, so I think some of those Celebrities are actually Bella Rosas. Ive never had much luck with tomatoes, so I have to think this TTF is some kind of magic. Im sold.
So now that least year's season is ancient history, what are your impressions of TTF?
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2022   #777
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagal View Post
So now that last year's season is ancient history, what are your impressions of TTF?
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2022   #778
Ocalagal
Tomatovillian™

Im still sold. I gave some TTF to a few friends of mine who just plant a few tomatoes a year, and they had their best year ever. I dont want to sound like a commercial, but as long as Im growing a veg garden, I will always use the TTF and vegie from Urban Farms.
Ocalagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2022   #779
Saskatchetoon
Tomatovillian™

I can attest to TTF based on one year of use.

I used it once every three waterings on a dozen grafted plants They grew 6+ ft tall and just absolutely loaded with fruit and foliage. Large fruit of 24oz and larger on my Mortgage Lifters and my Black Krim produced way more fruit than I could personally handle.
Saskatchetoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2022   #780
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Texas Tomato Food since 2017. I didn't realize it had been that long until I just looked at my garden notes. I do think it helps with more flowering and fruit set. It's not cheap, but I keep buying it because I do believe it helps. I haven't done any tests with and without it in the same year. But I do think I am getting better results with it, than I did before I started using it. I haven't used any of the other type of fertilizers they have, I've only used the TTF from Urban Farm Fertilizers. I've been tempted to try others for other plants besides tomatoes.

You can check out my garden instagram account to see pics of my garden. You'll have to scroll down to posts from summer if you want to see any tomatoes.

Jen

https://www.instagram.com/jen.loves.tomato/

Last edited by jhp; April 5, 2022 at 03:58 PM.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote